The Trans America Trail in a 2019 Ford Ranger

rustypayne

I remember that road closed sign west of La Pine last fall and that was using a brand spanking new copy of Sam's map, we did a similar reroute and detoured down to Crater Lake NP.

We had both maps but chose to take Kevin's route through Nevada to Oregon and encountered dozens of fence gates we had to pass through, On our next trip west we want to do Sam's route north in Utah to Idaho and then across.

Jim Oaks

Observer
After getting some sleep at the Jordan Creek Rest Area in Canyonville, I went next door to the 7 Feathers Truck & Travel Center for some gas and to grab something to eat. I was happy to actually find a gas station that would let me pump my own gas.

I headed south on IS-5 and reconnected with the Trans America Trail in Azalea. Following that in to Glendale, I discovered that the TAT ran through a saw ill with a closed gate, so I had to go around.

Not to far out of Glendale and you turn on to McCullough Creek Road. It's wooded with grades up to 10 degrees until you get to the top, and then it clears out from logging. The road down is much wider and smoother, and I even had a bear run out in the road ahead of me (caught it on video).

To my surprise, when I got to the end of this section I was greeted by a locked gate.

And a sign threatening prosecution for being back their with a vehicle.

Looking at the map, you can how far I got before coming to the locked gate. All I had to do was cross the creek, and make a left turn on to Middle Creek Road.

Looking at the GPS, the only way past this gate was to go back the way I came, and then continue west on Reuben Road. Reuben Road becomes Cow Creek Road (blue line), and reconnected me with the TAT. This was actually an easy option suggested by 'gpsKevin'.

NF-3348 wasn't a bad road, but NF-5521 was full of tree branches, and a few downed trees. NF-5521 eventually reconnects with NF-3348, and NF-3348 eventually connects to NF-33 (Agness Road).

After following NF-33 for a while, the TAT turns on to NF-5325. At this point, I was pretty much done dealing with tree branches, so I decided to stay on NF-33. NF-33 will end up Following the Rogue River out of the National Forest where it becomes Jerry Flat Road (Road 595).

It continues following the river west until it reaches US 101 near Gold Beach. I headed north from there to Port Orford, and the official end of the Trans America Trail at Paradise Point.

Jim Oaks

Observer

After finally making it to Port Orford, I headed back south to Gold Beach, got a pizza from 'Sunset Family Pizza', and watched the sunset. I got a room at the local Motel 6, and started working out a plan for my return trip back to Texas (Old Route 66 ;) ).

Within the next few weeks, I'll be hitting the Trans America Trail in Oklahoma, so I can do the section east to Tennessee.

Here's a video highlight of my day on the trail:

billiebob

He told me that the gate was on a forest road, and that I had the right to use it if I wanted.
You are in ranch land. often the fencing and gates are to contain the grazing livestock. Respect them and be sure to close them securely or the ranchers will put up gates to keep us out.

Remember you are a visitor, an uninvited guest. Be the ambassador for travellers, not the nuisance everyone hates

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing?
I like the new ranger but lack of a 6 ft bed in 4dr ended any chance I had of getting one. Next vehicle will be a SUV. But currently there is nothing available that replaces my 06 Sequoia. They are either too small or near perfect 2020 Ford Explorer but packaged so stupidly wrong that the price makes em a flat out NO!! Explorer needs air suspension given its less than Subaru ground clearance, needs plugin hybrid option, should always be able to order upper trims with out a glass roof. The Captains chair 2nd row trend is as stupid as the glass roof. I soo want to slap Ford marketing in the head.. Fail....

My only hope is that the Bronco or Maybe GMC Jimmy get 4 dr 119 ish inch wheel base sized rigs with less mini van sports wagon garbage and more dad truck like features.

Jim Oaks

Observer
You are in ranch land. often the fencing and gates are to contain the grazing livestock. Respect them and be sure to close them securely or the ranchers will put up gates to keep us out.

Remember you are a visitor, an uninvited guest. Be the ambassador for travellers, not the nuisance everyone hates

I have. I did. I've even stopped, spoke with s rancher, explained what I was doing, and he was more than helpful.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
By the way? If Tim McGraw and Michael Keaton had a baby, the baby would look like you.

Great story-telling - and i'm glad you told the story with video to augment the photos and writing - I think the photos and writing are probably the best - but adding a little video is a nice addition.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
last thing - Do you have traction boards? Have you used them? I love 'em. The way you take photos - I used to do this and made for neat results...remember those little ladders that folded into thirds or fourths, but when locked-out straight was like 10feet? It had hinges and what-not? I used to bring one with me on photo shoots to get perspectives otherwise obtainable by climbing trees. Now, one does NOT get a body like mine (round) by 'climbing' anything, so I would put the ladder in the trunk or the bed of the truck and then set up really neat overhead and angled shots.

NoDak

No. Ranchers must respect our rights to travel public roads. The ranchers are the nuisance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles