The Time Has Come: My GX build

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Since we're discussing BT and stereos in the GX...Dan, can I ask you what radio "mounting kit" you used for your aftermarket Alpine? I was looking to replace the headunit in my GX for one with BT, USB, etc but couldn't find the appropriate radio "mount kit" since I my GX didn't come with factory nav.

DanKunz

Adventurer
I didn't have factory NAV either. I had a local shop install mine. They did a Lexus double DIN kit and custom made the faceplate from a Lexus ES and epoxy/fibered it and painted the center to match. It was intensive but worth it in the end. My new setup has USB, ipad controls, BT, large screen that allows navigation of mp3, ipad playlist, phone controls, etc. It doesn't have NAV (they make one) but I use my ipad with motionX and google maps for NAV since it pauses music/pandora while the NAV talks. It is a sleek step above the GROM on OEM stereo (I thought the GROM was okay, but it wasn't "perfect").

Oh, and the JL Audio and high end alpine speakers/amp, etc makes it 1000% better than any stereo you could muster with OEM components.

Happy to share pics if you need an idea of the final look.

DanKunz

Adventurer
HU: Double DIN touchscreen Alpine IVEW530
Amp: Alpine MRXV70
Front: Focal components w/ 6.5" drivers
Rear: JL Audio 6.5"
Sub: 6.5" JL Sub in stock enclosure/location
PAC SWIRC steering wheel integration kit
iPad integration cable (for the ipadholdr mount)

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Thanks Dan. Sounds expensive but possibly the only way to do it. If you wouldn't mind uploading pics or PMing me with them so that we don't hijack the thread that would be great. Maybe they'd be motivational....

RCsGX

All I can say is WOW Tex, that is one nice looking GX!! I signed up here just so I can see your picture progress. :)

I've had my GX for almost 2 years and I've decided this weekend that I'm going to lift it 2". When your rear airbag popped out how high was your GX lifted? This is the first time I've heard about an airbag popping out after tricking the rear ride height sensor but most that lift will go w/ coils like you eventually did anyway. Since I'm only lifting 2" hopefully there won't be any problems w/ the airbags. I've been researching like crazy this weekend and I'm no closer than I was Friday night on which route to go. :snorkel:

Icon / Radflo COs
5100s set to 2" (not sure if the 4Runner 5100s have a 2" setting like the 5100s on my Tundra did) w/ stock springs
5100s set to stock ride height w/ EMU 885 springs
EMU 90000 w/ 885 springs

Anyway just wanted to say nice work and I can't wait to see what else you do.

TexGX

Explorer
RCsGX,

Thanks. My truck is only lifted about 2 and 1/2 inches. The problem with the airbags popping off can be addressed by pinning the bags. The bags only sit on the base with a nipple going through a small hole. If you put a pin in the nipple so it does not come out, you would be ok. Now with that said, I still recommend going with the coils. The ride is so much better then it was with the extra air in the air bags. I know a few people have put a spacer in under the airbag so they have the lift and keep the ride and ability to adjust height. On the lift, you can not go wrong with ICON. The ride with ICON is better then the original ride. I love them. If you have any other questions let me know. The GX is a great truck.

TexGX

kbahus

Adventurer
So I have to ask why you are selling this truck? I have been thinking about selling my built 80 for a GX470 and would do similar mods as yours. Coincidentally I also just picked up a Fleetwood Neon and think the GX would be a great tow vehicle for that trailer with the V8. Your setup is almost exactly what I had in mind and I can't come up with anything that could be better.

TexGX

Explorer
kbahu

I love this truck and it will not be a happy day when I see it drive off. I have had it for 10 years now and have it set up perfect. You are correct about it being a great tow truck. Plenty of power and I could not tell the Neon or my Casita was back there. The main reason I am selling it is my obsession with a Sportsmobile. It will make someone very happy.

Waymon

TexGX

Explorer
The torch has been passed. I look forward to hearing about the new adventures with the new owner. She was a dream to own and will be missed. Good by my trusted friend.

TexGX

5280transplant

Bitter sweet i'm sure! I look forward to seeing your future pictures with your Sportsmobile. I, like you, have an obsession with them. I just need to convince the wife now!

TexGX

Explorer
I can't remember the exact price, but around $500. Call Wil at Sierra Expeditions. He will know. Love my Sportsmobile, but miss that truck.

TexGX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94