The Tauler Jack thread

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I thought I would start a thread for questions and comments on my new 'Tauler Jack' concept.

273863733_925828251428628_7795137392443749961_n.jpg

This concept started as a campfire discussion with a few friends after talking through the pluses and minuses between a traditional farm jack that moves pin to pin (like a Hi-LIft) and some of the newer offerings like the ARB hydraulic jack. After messing around with the concept for a few months, changing the nose design a few times, and doing some testing on my own vehicles; I decided to offer a laser cut kit. This kit is a DIY U-weld kit that uses an affordable weld-on side wind trailer jack. The unit pictured is a 5k lift ( 8k hold ) rated unit from Reese (400850383 Pro Series Square Jack)

When assembled, the it is adjustable from 6" to 50" using a combination of the adjustable pins on the nose and foot. The jack has just over 15" in stroke from the grease-able side crank mechanism. It is just over 25" tall completely collapsed and 25.4lbs.

I've honestly never been much of a farm-jack type person. I have defaulted to a crank style mechanical bottle jack, like those from Toyota, over the last few years. The Tauler Jack has been a breath of fresh air for a 'perimeter' type recovery jack to me. One of the biggest advantages is not having to work pin to pin like with a farm jack. The screw mechanism is basically infinitely adjustable withing the 15" stroke winch, and roughly every 2" with the nose and foot pin system.

This is just a thread for feedback on the concept and design in general. This isn't the first trailer jack based jack, it won't be the last, this is just my spin on the idea. If you would like more information on my little kit, there is a link in my sig.

john61ct

Adventurer
Kewl!

Looking for a redneck-engineering way to get an empty connex raised and lowered, thinking supported on telephone pole type posts from the side

> Typically an empty 20 foot shipping container weighs between 1.8-2.2 metric tonnes (about 3,970 - 4,850 lb) and an empty 40 foot shipping container weighs 3.8 - 4.2 tonne (8,340 - 9,260 lb)

One at each corner could be made safe?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Kewl!

Looking for a redneck-engineering way to get an empty connex raised and lowered, thinking supported on telephone pole type posts from the side

> Typically an empty 20 foot shipping container weighs between 1.8-2.2 metric tonnes (about 3,970 - 4,850 lb) and an empty 40 foot shipping container weighs 3.8 - 4.2 tonne (8,340 - 9,260 lb)

One at each corner could be made safe?

4 jacks wouldn't have any problem with the load, but I would want something to help with the entire assembly racking when in the air. I would probably lift one end at a time about 4-8" and crib for safety as I went.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes absolutely.

My idea is the posts, like 8*8", with a steel fixture that "plugs in" a stable support "shelf"

walk around cranking just a few inches at a time

if you need to go over 15" then it gets a little more complex, supporting a repositioning

but I think not too much.

Corbet

Observer
Did this kit ever become a reality?

edit: nevermind Found it after I realized your website was only showing featured items.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Did this kit ever become a reality?

edit: nevermind Found it after I realized your website was only showing featured items.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

228B

Observer
Pretty nifty jack.

Two questions:

1. Looks like it may weigh considerable less than a farm jack/Hi Lift. If so, how much lighter is it? (typical 4' farm jack)

2. Does anyone offer a winch kit for it such as is available for the Hi Lift?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Pretty nifty jack.

Two questions:

1. Looks like it may weigh considerable less than a farm jack/Hi Lift. If so, how much lighter is it? (typical 4' farm jack)

2. Does anyone offer a winch kit for it such as is available for the Hi Lift?

1- The 2.25 version is 25.4lbs completely welded. I think that is a bit lighter than a farm jack, but not by a lot. That weight does included a very large 6x9 foot which is much larger than we typically see. It is a LOT more compact, which was one of the main drivers. Fully collapsed it is only 25" tall with a range from 6" to 50" and 15" of stroke available in that envelope.

2- The trailer jack used as the base for this kit it not designed to 'pull', though it can lift it's own 'foot' up. I have experimented with trying to pull/clamp loads with some sucess, but the 15" range, it just didn't seem practical for a winching operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior