The Tauler Jack thread

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This one came in from a recent Sand Hollow Trip

signal-2023-02-13-114717.jpegsignal-2023-02-13-114815.jpeg

Being able to lift directly from the link with the Tauler Jack worked out well in this case. This was much more stable than lifting from the bumper or rocker. A farm jack just didn't fit in the same space with all the beam height they have in the down position. This also left a ton of room under the axle to throw the spare tire for extra safety while they sorted through changing the axle u-joint. The large base on the Tauler Jack worked well in the sand without the need for extra parts.

This did make me think about offering a hex drive input shaft. In this case, it was tight ( but manageable ) for the crank handle. While I can't recommend using an impact on the 90 degree side wind models because of the bevel gear, the option to clock the handle or use a ratchet would make it fit in even more compact places.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This was sent in from a Tauler Jack owner that was running around KOH.

signal-2023-02-21-112338.jpeg

The race truck had a fancy chassis mounted air jack. The foot sunk straight away in the soft ground. The Tauler Jack came in to help.

When working with that I call a 'perimeter' style recovery jack, no matter what you are using, it is super handy to have something to bind the axle to the chassis to prevent extra droop.

I love getting pics back from the field.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I recently added a chain nose kit for the 2.25 version of the Tauler Jack.

signal-2023-02-28-124008_002.jpegsignal-2023-02-28-124008_004.jpegsignal-2023-02-28-124008_005.jpegsignal-2023-02-28-124008_003.jpeg

This is to allow direct lifting of a wheel or a bumper/rocker with a sloped underside. Each leg is independently adjustable for length by each link in the chain. The hooks are a 'Datsun' mini-J-Hook from the two truck world. I carried one of these hooks around with me for over a month testing the fit in every wheel I could find. The entire chain assembly is locked into place by the pin bolt to prevent loss.

Being able to lift directly from the tire is HIGHLY underrated in soft terrain in my opinion. For solo recovery work, this is a VERY valuable technique to have if you don't have factory bumper or rockers strong enough to lift from. Lifting directly from the tire, especially when the axle or belly is hard on the ground where a normal 'under' jack solution just won't work, is very effective and efficient.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Hey Metcalf! Trick bit of kit you've designed here. Love how compact it all is. A few questions:

- Can you attach a soft webbing to the lifting arm like the Hilift Liftmate thing? Looks like your hook system probably does the trick.

- Any chance you would consider selling a complete unit to those of us who are short on free time, attention span and welding equipment?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hey Metcalf! Trick bit of kit you've designed here. Love how compact it all is. A few questions:

- Can you attach a soft webbing to the lifting arm like the Hilift Liftmate thing? Looks like your hook system probably does the trick.

- Any chance you would consider selling a complete unit to those of us who are short on free time, attention span and welding equipment?

Hello,

There is a 3/4" round bar built into the nose. That allows the safe connection of synthetic rigging and also allows a slot for a hard shackle to be used in either direction. You could add something like the Liftmate, but my chain nose was specifically designed to provide a similar function in a better way. Personally, I didn't feel comfortable using a 1" section of webbing and some bent steel hooks for lifting a vehicle I may be working under and around.

I am working towards offering a complete unit, but honestly, I don't have the extra bandwidth right now to sit around all day welding up kits. There are lots of local fabrication shops around the country that would appreciate the work though! I have a decent number of customers that go that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles