The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Maybe he was thinking of something more like this.

I have thought about side lights near the cabover, but I have the GoLight for forward facing side illumination, and I do not think I would use additional lights much. But I might change my mind.

If I do put bright side lights on, I would mount them under the cabover, like on NorthernExplorers Finch.

But, if I do side lights most likely they would be dim LEDs under the cabover.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Yes, I am very concerned about ghost battery drain, as I will only have the trucks single deep cycle battery powering the camper. The last thing I want is to come back from a multi day hike to find a dead battery! So for me one of these was a must,

Battery Switch, Link

41-eH8h9j-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great thanks! So you will turn the whole system off when you are away for long periods of time? You got my brain juices on full modification mode! No good for the pocket book! :drool: Cheap Solar Panel & Isolator is next on the list!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great thanks! So you will turn the whole system off when you are away for long periods of time? You got my brain juices on full modification mode! No good for the pocket book! :drool:

Yes, the idea will be to separate, and shut down, the camper from the truck battery while away from the rig for an extended time. However, knowing how anal I am, and knowing how I switch the battery when away from the boat for even an hour, I will probably turn the switch whenever I am out for more than an hour or two.

Sorry for giving you further reason to drain the money account. :elkgrin:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Yes, the idea will be to separate, and shut down, the camper from the truck battery while away from the rig for an extended time. However, knowing how anal I am, and knowing how I switch the battery when away from the boat for even an hour, I will probably turn the switch whenever I am out for more than an hour or two.

Sorry for giving you further reason to drain the money account. :elkgrin:

In the other camper I would just unplug the battery when sitting for long periods. The battery was in the same place as the new camper so it was easy to access. Yes, Yes I am blaming you. All your fault! :ylsmoke: Plus it happened again tonight. Dang Amazon. Got some more goodies on the way.

Overland Hadley said:
What a great write-up.

Sometime I need to get out of the expedition camper section again.

Indeed a great write-up. So much information on this forum! haha

pods8

Explorer
I have been trying hard to resist buying a couple of these for the camper.

I never really got the appeal on those unless you've got a dedicated spot you KNOW you'd want a light close to something. Which doesn't really fit the multi-use most of our rigs are trying to do, not like there is a dedicated desk or something. Otherwise it seems like an expensive light with limited multi-use. Since you're mainly solo overhead LEDs would make more sense to me and use a headlamp or such if you really need a focused light. Something like that seems like it'd get in my way more than anything...

Carlyle

Explorer
I have been trying hard to resist buying a couple of these for the camper.

Hella Marine Flexi LED Chart Table Lamp

9353723.jpg

Part of me just wants to be happy with a headlamp when something like this is needed.

I had a pair of those in my last camper and installed a set in this one as well. Great lights with a nice light pattern that is nicer than the LED's at times. If you get the long arm ones they can swing over other areas for cooking etc.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the input on the chart table light.

Most likely if I do decide to install a couple of these lights I will do it next winter, after I have spent some more time in the space.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Propane Regulator

Currently I am working 70-80 hours a week, so that leaves little time for projects on the camper. But, it looks like I will be headed West this autumn with Hadley+Tardis. So I am trying to get a few key things done before the trip.

Propane parts are ready to be assembled.

img0823f.jpg

This was more difficult than it needed to be because I wanted to have valves before the hoses went out to the heater and stove. This way I can have the propane line to the heater unpressurized on trips when the heater will not be needed, or still be able to run the heater if there is a problem with the hob and need to have the gas to it turned off.

Just doing things the way I want them done. :)

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thinking of getting a set of guns for the camper, Fastguns.

derringerhandle.png

Fastgun Derringer

The factory turnbuckles are a bit of a bother to work with in the limited space of a Gen2 Tacoma. Not sure if these will be better, but it is worth a try.

Amazon or Ebay

Thanks to GCecchetto for the idea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles