The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
The exterior is good and functional.

img1593g.jpg

Departure for the trip is immanent.

Lets see that shot again! Great looking setup!

Overland, in that first picture I see you have something coming out of your Jerry Can. I am in a dilemma. I have (3) of those 5 gallon Jerry Cans for water but always ending up using my 5 gallon colman water jug because of the easy pour spout. You have a mod to make those military style ones work better? If you do, I am ALL EARS! Thanks
Paul

Bill_G_62439

Observer
I really like the looks of that clean, uncluttered interior. I am enjoying following your build. I will say that curiosity got the best of me and had to google "TARDIS," not being a Mr. Who fan. I'm thinking of calling my project "The Galileo., for two reasons, the first being right now the roof is still off.

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Duh! I just realized I typed "Mr. Who" instead of "Dr. Who." See? I told you I wasn't a fan.

Anyway, Keep up the good work!

(Mr. Bean + Dr. Who = Mr. Who?)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The description of TARDIS on Wikipedia seems quite appropriate too, I din't know the Dr., or Who either ;)

A properly maintained and piloted TARDIS can transport its occupants to any point in time and any place in the universe.

Step

If you mentioned it before, I missed it... From the above picture it looks like your are using a hitch receiver step, which you carry inverted while traveling?

specjoe

Overland, in that first picture I see you have something coming out of your Jerry Can. I am in a dilemma. I have (3) of those 5 gallon Jerry Cans for water but always ending up using my 5 gallon colman water jug because of the easy pour spout. You have a mod to make those military style ones work better? If you do, I am ALL EARS! Thanks
Paul

If I've followed the TARDIS build correctly, that hose goes to the whale pump and faucet above the sink (near the window). Might be the way I go to if I ever get a sink, but I'm content with my new setup on a scepter can in the little spot by the camper door for now (like post #37 on http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64344-Scepter-water-can-pump/page4 and built like http://nwoverland.org/Discussions/tabid/166/aft/23250/Default.aspx )

I think Overland Hadley's pump is much better quality for the long run, as the reviews I've read for the one I got and rigged on my scepter can are pretty mixed. Only $28, though. This is why I follow the Hadley build and see how I SHOULD have done things after the fact...

-joe D.

WASURF63

Adventurer
VERY IMPRESSIVE to say the least! :clapsmile
I'm especially blown away by how clean, organized, and roomy the interior turned out.
That being said, I'm sure that your "shipfitters disease" will lead you toward more improvements as you continue to put the TARDIS through it's tests.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Friggen awesome inside and out!
Well done. True craftsman.
Not that I need it yet but where did you buy the reflectex stuff for the windows? Can it be used for insulation around the tent area?

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
If I've followed the TARDIS build correctly, that hose goes to the whale pump and faucet above the sink (near the window). Might be the way I go to if I ever get a sink, but I'm content with my new setup on a scepter can in the little spot by the camper door for now (like post #37 on http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64344-Scepter-water-can-pump/page4 and built like http://nwoverland.org/Discussions/tabid/166/aft/23250/Default.aspx )

I think Overland Hadley's pump is much better quality for the long run, as the reviews I've read for the one I got and rigged on my scepter can are pretty mixed. Only $28, though. This is why I follow the Hadley build and see how I SHOULD have done things after the fact...

-joe D.

Great info! Thanks for the link.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Ok just perused this thread again start to finish.
I think FWC should offer an Overland Hadley Eagle version. Close to the price of a shell model with a bit of a markup for the upgrades and craftsmanship inspired interior work.

p.s.
If Stan goes for this all I ask for is a discount when I order mine for coming up with the idea.
:smiley_drive:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Wow so nice!

Tacoma and FWC is a perfect set up. And I agree with the four jacks, three wheel cars and atvs never really worked out so well did they?

I see you are from minnesota. Not too far from my area.

Super Doody

Explorer
OH,

I sent you a PM but maybe you didn't get it. Why did you go with a FWC shell instead of a ATC shell? Thanks for taking the time to document your build :sombrero:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Howdy everybody!

I am back in the north-woods. The travels with the camper were great. It was dry, warm, and comfortable inside.

In the next couple of days I will get the above questions answered, post some photos of the Tardis in action, and post some thoughts on the camper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
FWC v ATC

Why did you go with a FWC shell instead of a ATC shell?

There are a few reasons.

From the research I did, I feel that Four Wheel Camper makes a better quality camper. I know that there are people that will disagree with this, but this is the conclusion that I personally came to.

The rear door, the seamless roof, the composite lifting panels, the windows in the soft side, the interior walls, the insulation, these are a couple of things that come to mind as things that I liked better about the FWC construction. The final straw was the floral headliner, I just could not stand a floral printed headliner.

The ATC guys are making campers similar to FWC of the late 90s/early 2000s. No doubt a good camper, I just felt that FWC is now making a better camper.

I was also not happy with the way ATC mounts the camper to the composite bed of the Tacoma. I am sure it works, but I feel better with the mounting system FWC has for the composite bed.

These are just my opinions, other people disagree with me.

Thanks for taking the time to document your build :sombrero:

Thanks for taking the time to read it. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne