The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathan, where did you get that handle again? I thought I remembered you linking to it, but I cant find the page it's linked off of

Here you go. (I try and edit most links into the first post in this thread.)

As I have been climbing in and out of my camper while working on it I have found that a longer and larger door handrail would be useful. Not sure if it is because I am a tall person, but I find the little handrail that FWC is using pathetic and far from ideal. Or maybe it is because I was frustrated with the handrail when I saw a picture of a FWC that had a second handrail mounted above the factory one. Either way I am excited to change it out to make an improvement.

View attachment 91763

Found a nice marine handrail from Dive-n-Dog. Did a little searching and found Here to be the best price, at about half of msrp.

Note: When looking at a replacement FWC handrail you will want to find a thru bolted one, as most marine handrails are male or female bolted.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Pay it forward...

I have an extra door holder set with a 4'' arm. PM if you are interested in it.

Sometimes "free" really is "free". This "extra door holder set" (see pics) just showed up on my doorstep a few days after I said I was interested. The ease of operation and engagement of the mechanism is smooth and very solid.
It's a perfect fit, was just what I've been looking for, and literally fell into my lap. How cool is that?:sombrero:

Thanks Nathanael.

Attachments

• 100_5292.jpg
    100_5292.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_5300.jpg
    100_5300.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_5297.jpg
    100_5297.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_5299.jpg
    100_5299.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 23

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was starting to get worried about how the camper was sitting on the truck. The front was sitting lower than it had when I first mounted it.

I did modify the bumpers on the front, so the camper would sit closer to the cab of the truck. And I do have the experimental lightweight pads under the camper.

After I mounted the camper and noticed it starting to sit lower in the front I guessed that the camper was sitting too close to the cab and was sliding into the groove in the front of the composite bed. So this afternoon I put the jacks back on and lifted it off the truck. As I thought the camper was sitting into the groove in the front.

So instead of moving the camper back or putting the heavy rubber pads back, I put in a filler strip in the gap at the front.

0916121250.jpg

I used a scrap of baltic birch from the cabinetry, as it was the perfect thickness, and threw a coat of stain on it.

Lowered the camper back on, tightened down the turnbuckles, and went bumping down a dirt road. So far everything is looking good, but time and miles will tell how well this fairs.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I know that I have mentioned this before, but I am really happy that I ended up spending the extra grand to get the proper jacks for the camper.

I don't know if it was the strong winds we have been having, or if there was a mishap, but this camper in town did not fare so well. Did I mention that I am happy that I got the four corner jacks?

09171217132.jpg

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Oh man...I looked at the picture before I read your post and assumed something terrible had happened to the Tardis. Agreed about the four corner jacks, peace of mind is a good thing.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Oh man...I looked at the picture before I read your post and assumed something terrible had happened to the Tardis. Agreed about the four corner jacks, peace of mind is a good thing.

I did too! :Wow1: haha Maybe I should look into the (4) corner jacks... :) Glad to hear the Tardis is ok!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm not sure that 4 corner jacks will prevent a camper from blowing away during strong winds...

Many years ago I helped dismantle a camper that was blown over and totaled (we have wind here) in a friend's yard. I needed the jacks for an old camper we had without them.

Agreed, 4 corner jack are a good.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Well, the interior is where it will be at for this trip. There are lots of things yet to do and finishing touches, but that will have to wait. Last thing I finished was a cover for the underside of the hob, it looks much better now.

In all it is already a snazzy little space.

img1592ek.jpg

The exterior is good and functional.

img1593g.jpg

Departure for the trip is immanent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior