The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Several pages back you have a link for the mounting of an AT jerry can holder to a FWC. The third picture down shows the attachments between the holder and the jack bracket.

Though I didn't take the photos or post that, it happens to be my camper. I like your idea to just run two straight pieces of tubing as opposed to the rectangle I had welded up. In hindsight, I see no advantage to having the cross pieces. Yours uses less material and eliminates the welding. Much better idea.

Hi Ted!!

I think your mounting of the AT holder is one of the top ideas for a FWC. Well done.

I am going to flush mount the holder to the jack brackets giving a bit more support, details to follow.

pods8

Explorer
OH, you've got the 20lb version of the clearview propane tank right? Can you get me a fairly accurate OD of the widest area of the tank? I was considering getting one but I don't have a lot of clearance through my propane hatch, I see they list 12" but it would be useful to know if there are some fractions of a inch larger spots like where the handle rubber overlaps the cradle to keep in mind.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
OH, you've got the 20lb version of the clearview propane tank right? Can you get me a fairly accurate OD of the widest area of the tank? I was considering getting one but I don't have a lot of clearance through my propane hatch, I see they list 12" but it would be useful to know if there are some fractions of a inch larger spots like where the handle rubber overlaps the cradle to keep in mind.

Correct, that is the propane tank I have for the camper. I would be glad to get that measurement for you. It might be the weekend before I get that deep into the camper and can pull the tank out of the locker, as the camper is currently filled with tools and half finished parts.

pods8

Explorer
Correct, that is the propane tank I have for the camper. I would be glad to get that measurement for you. It might be the weekend before I get that deep into the camper and can pull the tank out of the locker, as the camper is currently filled with tools and half finished parts.

No major rush. Just looking ahead a bit and trying to line up details and order stuff for the next phase.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

The circumference of the tank at the largest point (main body of the tank) is 38''.

And the 20lb is really a 17lb tank. So it is a nice midsize tank, although I get charged for filling a 20 pounder.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Vinyl Lettering

I decided on a name for my camper. So it was time for the model name (Eagle) to come off.

img0693u.jpg

The vinyl lettering with the new name is ordered. Used DoItYourselfLettering.com and ordered it made with 3M vinyl.

Should look nice.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am going to flush mount the holder to the jack brackets giving a bit more support, details to follow.

Here is how I mounted the AT holders to the jack brackets. I wanted to leave the factory screws in the brackets alone, and I also want to have access to them to be able to check them periodically. So I drilled holes large enough that I can still get a socket on to tighten them if needed.

img0691xr.jpg

img0692xt.jpg

Another step done, a couple more to go before these are finished.

pods8

Explorer
The circumference of the tank at the largest point (main body of the tank) is 38''.

And the 20lb is really a 17lb tank. So it is a nice midsize tank, although I get charged for filling a 20 pounder.

Thanks, thats looking like 12 1/8", my hatch is 12 1/4 clearance between the flanges (I could likely trim a little off too) so it looks like it'd just barely fit...

Overland Hadley

on a journey
(close to) Finished the AT jerry can mounts.

Here are some photos from mid way through mounting them up, it started pouring rain at the end so I do not have any photos of the (almost) finished mount. I say almost finished because I might put an aluminum plate on the bottom of the plywood, because I am currently using a washer to fir out the underside of the plywood to even it up with the siding trim strip.

It is super solid, I can hang off it with little/no deflection. Good as it will see a heavy dynamic load when the cans are full.

All hardware is stainless. :ylsmoke:

Passenger side:

img0695m.jpg

img0700z.jpg

Drivers side:

img0696b.jpg

img0701jx.jpg

Interior plates:

img0698wf.jpg

img0699lkd.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have the water filter mounted, and the location for the Whale has been decided.

I took apart the water filer and reassembled it with the water lines coming out of the other side. This will move the foot pump a couple of inches closer to where I want it.

Hope to start running water lines tomorrow.

Also have the mounting plates for the heater in the works.

:)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just curious if you are going to be using solar - if so which system?

Sadly this camper will not have solar, it will not even have a camper battery. I figure I will save at least a hundred pounds by keeping these things out of the camper, and personally that is worth it.

So this means no refrigerator and no forced air heater among other things. Someday I will build a full sized camper (Fuso based) and then I will have all the heavy goodies.

I do carry a large Brunton SolarRoll. It weighs a couple pounds and I use it to charge the iPod/laptop/digital camera. So I guess the answer to your question is, a portable Brunton SolarRoll.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I like the way you did the AT. Better than the way I was going to do it. Who fills your tank? I pay by the gallon when I fill mine.

deadbeat son

Explorer
It's been a while since I checked in on this thread (perhaps since even before you ordered the camper). Great work Nathanael; it's coming along superbly!

Quick question for you. I'm seriously considering purchasing a FWC next year. My wife and I are expecting, and I wonder if there would be room for the three of us in a Finch. I realize it's smaller than your Eagle, but I believe only by 6" in length. I only need it to be big enough for 5 or so years. After that, we can get something bigger if necessary. Thoughts on this?

The other option is selling the Tacoma and buying a full-size truck with a larger FWC. The additional room would be beneficial, but I really love the Taco.

pods8

Explorer
Any possibility of a second child? My hawk went for nice for a couple, to doing some dancing around 2 adults and 1 infant (and all their STUFF) to knowing it wasn't going to work well for our second kid in the mix so I started building the new one. I can't image a finch being better. Main issue is the galley setup not really working out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94