The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Boy, it's coming along nicely!!!

Nice to actually see it in progress! Gives me tons of ideas for when I finally get mine!

Thanks! It is a fun project to work on, and I look forward to traveling in it when it is finished.

My girlfriend is worried about what my next ''project'' will be....

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am out sick this weekend, so no major work on the camper.

But, I did put together an order from McMaster-Carr. Here is my order list as a teaser for things to come. :chef:

1 8030T11 1 Pack Webbing Guide Znc-pltd Stl, 1/4" Clr Height, For 1" W Webbing
2 8030T15 10 Each Webbing Guide Type 304 Ss, 1/4" Clr Height, For 1" W Webbing
3 9336T3 25 Ft. Flexible White Polyethylene Tubing 1/2" Id, .740" Od, .120" Wall Thickness
4 9416K403 2 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends 75 Force, 33.94" Extended Length, 16.14" Stroke
5 9416K26 2 Each 90-deg Mounting Bracket For .32" Eyelet Dia Gas Spring With Threaded Ends
6 9428K3 4 Each Alum Hinge Eye End Fitting For M8 Male Thread
7 4558T11 1 Each Architectural Aluminum H-bar (alloy 6063) 1.060" Height, 0.600" Inside Width, 6' Length
8 8975K438 1 Each Multipurpose Aluminum (alloy 6061) 1/4" Thick, 6" Width, 3' Length
9 8975K833 1 Each Multipurpose Aluminum (alloy 6061) 1/8" Thick, 3" Width, 3' Length
10 8975K923 1 Each Multipurpose Aluminum (alloy 6061) 1/8" Thick, 6" Width, 3' Length
11 1630T12 1 Each Multipurpose Aluminum (alloy 6061) U-channel, 3" Base X 1-1/2" Legs, 5' Length

SuperCal

Adventurer
Question regarding your rig vs someone who may have a 09+. I have a back up camera and use it a lot. I love the damn thing. Having a FWC on would eliminate the tailgate and the backup cam. Do you know if FWC offers a backup camera option or could rig something up to hook up to the stock wiring. You may not have the answer but someone else here may. I can't imagine backing up in tight areas on hillsides/trails and not having that ability. Guess I'm spoiled.[/QUOTE]

I have a backup cam on my 08 F-150 and like you i really like it but also have to take off my tailgate when i run my camper. What I did to ge my cam back was to order one of the licence plate mount style (it comes with a regular mount too) and mounted it above the door of my camper. I went to the dealer and got the pigtail that runs through the tailgate to the factory cam and wired that to the new cam so I didnt have any problems when I put my tailgate back on...

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Question regarding your rig vs someone who may have a 09+. I have a back up camera and use it a lot. I love the damn thing. Having a FWC on would eliminate the tailgate and the backup cam. Do you know if FWC offers a backup camera option or could rig something up to hook up to the stock wiring. You may not have the answer but someone else here may. I can't imagine backing up in tight areas on hillsides/trails and not having that ability. Guess I'm spoiled....

I have a backup cam on my 08 F-150 and like you i really like it but also have to take off my tailgate when i run my camper. What I did to ge my cam back was to order one of the licence plate mount style (it comes with a regular mount too) and mounted it above the door of my camper. I went to the dealer and got the pigtail that runs through the tailgate to the factory cam and wired that to the new cam so I didnt have any problems when I put my tailgate back on...

I checked into this a bit. The Tacoma tailgate harness is available from Toyota for $48. The problem is that it probably won't wire up correctly to the aftermarket cameras according to the service guy I talked to. The factory camera gets it power differently than the aftermarket cameras which evidently normally tap into the backup light circuit. I thought I might buy a factory camera and mount it on the camper but a replacement factory camera costs over $700! I haven't pursued it further but I am still interested in a solution. I'm hoping someone has figured this out.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Ebay/Junkyard.

Ebay has an OEM camera and harness for $140. Link

Thanks for the link. There are aftermarket new ones available too for less than the factory price. I was just shocked Toyota could ask that price. I think the Ebay price is still high for a bit of used plastic that isn't even designed to mount on the camper. But that's the market I guess. I've called a few junkyards with no luck. I might go the Ebay route if a better approach doesn't turn up but I'm going to look for a bit. Thanks for indulging the brief hijack of your thread. I am enjoying watching your progress while I wait for my camper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It is hard to tell by your pictures, but I would consider having a metal screw or bolt/nutsert go through the aluminum bars into the aluminum frame of the camper. I would be worried about the bouncing of the truck causing the full jerry can to rip the wood from the camper frame. Just a thought......and I really like the idea of the bars underneath.

I have been thinking about this over the last few days. Then I remembered that the side of jerry can holder is bolted to the jack bracket, and those are certainly a strong point on the camper. I think there will be no worries with it plated and bolted to the jack bracket, but I will still be keeping an eye on it during the first long corrugated road. :ylsmoke:

teleturns

Adventurer
I have been thinking about this over the last few days. Then I remembered that the side of jerry can holder is bolted to the jack bracket, and those are certainly a strong point on the camper. I think there will be no worries with it plated and bolted to the jack bracket, but I will still be keeping an eye on it during the first long corrugated road. :ylsmoke:

Incorporating it into the jack bracket is a great idea!

tnt

Observer
Several pages back you have a link for the mounting of an AT jerry can holder to a FWC. The third picture down shows the attachments between the holder and the jack bracket.

Though I didn't take the photos or post that, it happens to be my camper. I like your idea to just run two straight pieces of tubing as opposed to the rectangle I had welded up. In hindsight, I see no advantage to having the cross pieces. Yours uses less material and eliminates the welding. Much better idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94