The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

pods8

Explorer
Here is one of the things I am excited about:

Newly redesigned lifting panels

It just looks like they've used a difference appearance panel (possibly a different material), what is redesigned about it exactly? The hinges, aluminum pieces, and latch all look the same as on my rig.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago and saw the new panels on a camper going to Germany. They are the same design but made out of some kind of plastic composite material instead of wood. They look stronger and more durable.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago and saw the new panels on a camper going to Germany. They are the same design but made out of some kind of plastic composite material instead of wood. They look stronger and more durable.

Yeah, thats what I thought. They are made of a lightweight composite.

And welcome to ExPo!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

So I'm guessing they will be harder to crack or break if someone accidentally closes the panels on top of something?

takesiteasy

Adventurer
That would be my guess although I suppose time will tell if there are any other trade-offs. I got the sense that FWC was not going to rush this change into all the models right away but I might be wrong there.

Nathaniel- thanks for the welcome. I have been reading ExPo and WTW for some time but I guess that was my first post on ExPo. I have learned a lot from both.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
An update on my decision on what jacks to use. Turns out that to have the camper delivered on the road FWC requires at least to have the brackets for the corner jacks installed. So if the corner brackets are installed then there is no reason to go with tripod jacks. In a way I am relieved, I was hoping to save money by going with tripod jacks but the last thing I want is to knock the camper over.

I went for the upgraded aluminum brackets for the weight savings.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I have read that the Mr Buddy is as low as 4500.

I dont know if this had already been answered because I havent gotten that far, but where we were camped in Yellowstone when you visited, we were at 8500' elevation and used our Mr. Buddy all the time with no issues.

pods8

Explorer
Not sure exactly. But the last thing I wanted to do after all my work to keep the weight down was bolt four hunks of steel to the camper. If I save ten pounds it is worth it to me.

I think you are seriously over estimating the weight of the jack brackets. I'm down with aluminum for the corrosion aspect but I'd bet we're talking a pound or two tops (assuming there is any weight savings at all since steel is quite a bit stiffer/stronger than aluminum).

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I think you are seriously over estimating the weight of the jack brackets. I'm down with aluminum for the corrosion aspect but I'd bet we're talking a pound or two tops (assuming there is any weight savings at all since steel is quite a bit stiffer/stronger than aluminum).

Sounds like I need to get some hard numbers. Will report back with my findings.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

The steel brackets are 2.8 pounds each.

The aluminum brackets are 1.15 pounds each.

So I would be saving 6.6 pounds by going with the aluminum. It is splitting hairs, but that is 6.6 pounds of something else I could take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior