The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not sure if I have a use for this in my build, but I though somebody might find it useful.

Outback Adventure Products Trailgater
73.jpg

Available from A.T. Overland

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Anybody have any advice on water filters?

I am worried about it freezing, well it will be frozen regularly, so I am thinking about a small filter that I could easily pump dry each night.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Water Filter

Spent the last couple days going over water filter options. Thought about going with a simple inline filter, but because I am worried about the filter getting frozen I decided to go with a bit more complex of a setup that has a bypass/anti-freeze valve. Also, I found that most household water filters do not remove cysts and other nasty things that can be found in non city water.

I decided to go with the EverPure R/V purification system. (Part No. EV925200)

1-rv-925200-system-fullsize.gif

It has a bypass valve so I can bypass the filter and get full flow of water, which is 8x the flow. (4 gpm from the water pump, .5 gpm through the filter) *1 And it removes/kills the harmful stuff that can be in water, in addition to making the water taste better. It also has a fitting that has been the same for the last 40 years, so buying replacement filter should not be a problem. Another reason I liked this filter is because it is made by Pentair, a local Minnesota company that supports some good causes in this region.

The filter is expensive, costing between $120 and $220 online. Found a place on ebay that is selling new units for $60 shipped, good deal if it is a full kit. Ebay seller is autotruckrv, Link. EDIT: Received the filter from the ebay seller within a couple of days, and it was brand new. This is a great deal if you are looking for a good water filter.

*1 EDIT: It turns out that it does not have a bypass valve, but you can remove the filter and still run water through the lines. This will be handy for keeping the filter from freezing, or for unfreezing the filter.

(Thanks to Bisleybud over on WTW for the information on his install of this water filter in his build thread.)

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Check out the new silver/grey aluminum siding!

It is shown at the end of the video about the Dinette Seating. Link

Not really sure how it would look on my silver truck, might be a little to "matchey matchey". But it would look real good on a dark colored truck.

Cool! (Well technically it would be a bit hotter, not good in the desert, but not a problem when winter camping in the mountains. Hmmm...)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It has a bypass valve so I can bypass the filter and get full flow of water, which is 8x the flow. (4 gpm from the water pump, .5 gpm through the filter)

What are you using for an accumulator?

I'd like to choke mine down farther, but with no accumulator, the pump has to continually cycle on and off (about one second on / one second off) at the volume I want.

FWIW, I decided against using a filter on mine. With 30 gallons, we've got enough water to get us through to the next major city with a water treatment facility (water bottler, brewery, etc). We filter drinking water and coffee water for flavor with a Brita pitcher. We just don't put non-potable water in the tank.

Obviously that isn't a solution for everyone, but it works for us & keeps the camper simple.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What are you using for an accumulator?

I'd like to choke mine down farther, but with no accumulator, the pump has to continually cycle on and off (about one second on / one second off) at the volume I want.

Water Pump info

FWIW, I decided against using a filter on mine. With 30 gallons, we've got enough water to get us through to the next major city with a water treatment facility (water bottler, brewery, etc). We filter drinking water and coffee water for flavor with a Brita pitcher. We just don't put non-potable water in the tank.

Obviously that isn't a solution for everyone, but it works for us & keeps the camper simple.

When I started thinking about a filter I thought of all the suspect faucets I have filled my water tanks at, and I quickly decided that a good filter was going into this camper. (It is unsettling to find the faucet/pump you filled at a few days ago closed because of contaminated water.)

I will still only fill the tanks with clean water, it will just get filtered before I use it for drinking or cooking.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Check out the new silver/grey aluminum siding!

Not really sure how it would look on my silver truck, might be a little to "matchey matchey". But it would look real good on a dark colored truck.

Stan sent me some photos of the new silver aluminum siding option. It's definitely silver and not grey.

(My girl said I could also then get gold trim and have the truck slammed.)

p1010033dv.jpg

p1010021po.jpg

p1010010a.jpg

p1010009dl.jpg

derekparr

Observer
You might want to check these guys out for water filters. http://generalecology.com/
They have a good reputation and several models that will work in a camper. Whether freezing is an issue.. I'm not sure. I bought the backpacking portable model and it works great. I also keep it, and most of my other back packing stuff stored in the camper. So if I needed to use water that I didn't bring with me, I could do that. But I must say that having the water filtered on the fly as you use it is pretty cool. But my main intent is to remove the built in tank, rebuild the kitchen counter/cabinetry and have the sink faucet pipe into a 5 gallon jerry can style water container that I can then move where I want it more easily. As well as just drag it into a Whole Foods and fill it up without a hose. But of course, I'm on the east coast and being far away from water is not a common concern over here.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Here are some more teaser pictures.

:)

We have some pretty cool stuff going on around here these days.

Four Wheel Campers is not the same ol' company from back in the 1970's

:)

I like that color combo!

Attachments

• SILVER SPUR 4.JPG
    SILVER SPUR 4.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 99
  • SILVER SPUR 1.JPG
    SILVER SPUR 1.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 89
  • SILVER SPUR 2.JPG
    SILVER SPUR 2.JPG