The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

SuperCal

Adventurer
That looks good, I was coming up with something kinda similar for my Hawk. I was thinking i could always move some of the plastic totes to the cab of the truck to free up the floor space once i set up at whatever random destination i arrive at. I was planning on storing the propane inside since i plan on doing 90% of my cooking outdoors and will place it out there on arrival too...

Prybry

Adventurer
Another way to go for the stove...

I have often thought if I was going to re-build another camper I would use a high end stove like a Partner instead of a built in stove... find a storage place for it when not in use and the best part is having the ability to take it outside to cook when it is nice. I would rather cook outside anyway, it keeps the camper cooler, and less smelly:chef:
I would rig a quick disconnect and valve at the counter top and rig a longer hose and similar connector to the outside some where.

I have a suggestion for water as well...
My camper didn't have a pressure water system... it was a old style hand pump faucet... I tore the old 2 gal tank out and used the space for storage. I took the hand pump out and rigged a 12v RV water pump. But instead of finding another place in the camper for the water tank, I plumbed a inlet to the outside of the camper and use a 7 gal carry jug (sometimes 2) rigged with a hose and ball valve. When I setup camp I set the jug outside and hook up the hose to the side of the camper... turn the pump switch on and it self primes, then the ball valve keeps the water at the pump so the water reacts right when the sink faucet is turned on. I also plumbed a outside faucet, which I use for cooking outside and I even rigged up a hand shower for use with a pop up encloser. The jugs are cheap and easy to hand carry to fill when on the road.

There are a lot of ways to go... planning the build is half the fun;)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That looks good, I was coming up with something kinda similar for my Hawk. I was thinking i could always move some of the plastic totes to the cab of the truck to free up the floor space once i set up at whatever random destination i arrive at. I was planning on storing the propane inside since i plan on doing 90% of my cooking outdoors and will place it out there on arrival too...

Personally, moving the totes to the cab is a lot of monkeying around, for me at least. You could store them under the truck, it would stay mostly dry. Just watch out for the little critters that run around at night and like to chew on your best food. (So frustrating to wake up in the morning to find the special treat you were saving for the next couple of weeks is half eaten, and fully pooped in.) I have also thought about storing the totes in the cabover bed section. Would work great when solo, and okay when traveling with a partner.

I am way more worried about all the propane lines and fittings leaking, than the tank itself. (It is very disturbing to look behind the stove and see a huge blue flame coming from a fitting, especially when it is torching the hull of your boat.) I just hope I am not over looking something like a regulator that will off gas often.

SuperCal

Adventurer
im not worried about the tanks leaking either, i keep 4 of them in my shed and never had a leak (yes i do have a propane detector in there and a way to ventalate the shed remotely if nessisary).

My main reason to have it outside is that i dont like cooking indoors while camping, im not even planning an indoor stove. (although i might have a microwave for that emergency meal.. LOL)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have often thought if I was going to re-build another camper I would use a high end stove like a Partner instead of a built in stove... find a storage place for it when not in use and the best part is having the ability to take it outside to cook when it is nice. I would rather cook outside anyway, it keeps the camper cooler, and less smelly:chef:
I would rig a quick disconnect and valve at the counter top and rig a longer hose and similar connector to the outside some where.

I have a suggestion for water as well...
My camper didn't have a pressure water system... it was a old style hand pump faucet... I tore the old 2 gal tank out and used the space for storage. I took the hand pump out and rigged a 12v RV water pump. But instead of finding another place in the camper for the water tank, I plumbed a inlet to the outside of the camper and use a 7 gal carry jug (sometimes 2) rigged with a hose and ball valve. When I setup camp I set the jug outside and hook up the hose to the side of the camper... turn the pump switch on and it self primes, then the ball valve keeps the water at the pump so the water reacts right when the sink faucet is turned on. I also plumbed a outside faucet, which I use for cooking outside and I even rigged up a hand shower for use with a pop up encloser. The jugs are cheap and easy to hand carry to fill when on the road.

There are a lot of ways to go... planning the build is half the fun;)

You are correct about the planning.

A Partner stove was also on my list, but there are a couple reasons I think a built in would work better for me.

- No setup or hooking up of propane lines.

- Most of the time I cook and eat in the dark. (The life of a photographer.) And usually after dark it is getting cold, so I will not mind the extra heat. As far as smell goes, well rice and pasta do not smell much. While food is cooking I am usually cleaning gear, looking over maps, that sort of thing. Easier done inside at night. And I will still be carrying a small backpacking stove, so if it is boiling hot I can heat something up outside, more likely I would just be eating a sandwich at that point.

- The SMEV hob puts out 40% less Co, uses 30% less propane, and fires a flame that is almost 500*. The three burner unit I have puts out a total of 15,500 BTU. Impressive specs.

So in the end the SMEV hob made the most sense for me. But having a Partner stove has its merit, and if I traveled differently it would be a good way to go.

I am still deciding on water tanks. I was planning on a custom 12 gallon plastic tank. But carrying two Wedco water jerry cans is looking like it might be a good way to go. In addition to the 10 gallon Front Runner tank that is going in the cab of the truck.

- The two Wedco's would weigh about ten pounds more than a plastic tank.

- They could be carried to the water source to be filled. As opposed to decanting gallon after gallon into a built in tank.

- They could be moved/removed to lighten the load if I was stuck.

- Wedcos could be used to pour large amounts of water on a fire.

- I already have two Wedco water cans.

So the water tank inside the camper is yet to be decided.

I think hand pumps and 12v pumps are a joke. I will post my solution shortly.

Genorator, or big bank of batteries?

I have found no use for a genorator or even a solar panel (but I think having a solar panel would be cool). 150 amp hour battery bank is enough for me. The trick is to have the battery seperator that FWC offers. LED lighting helps a lot. My 12 volt fridge is pretty efficient and I believe you are going with a catalytic heater so no amp draw there. If I'm ever in doute about my battery charge, I'll just start my engine for a few minutes. I camped 3 days/nights a few weeks ago in one location and I could have easliy stayed longer.

A second battery is way cheaper then a solar panel or a genorator.

SuperCal

Adventurer
Genorator, or big bank of batteries?

I'm going with 2 batteries and an inverter that i will switch on only when i need 110v (prob only for the microwave). I will be using 12v led lighting (have fixtures that are pretty bright and draw .08 amp) and 12v chargers for my cameras and laptop. ARB fridge too.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have found no use for a genorator or even a solar panel (but I think having a solar panel would be cool). 150 amp hour battery bank is enough for me. The trick is to have the battery seperator that FWC offers. LED lighting helps a lot. My 12 volt fridge is pretty efficient and I believe you are going with a catalytic heater so no amp draw there. If I'm ever in doute about my battery charge, I'll just start my engine for a few minutes. I camped 3 days/nights a few weeks ago in one location and I could have easliy stayed longer.

A second battery is way cheaper then a solar panel or a genorator.

The only battery needs I will have will be to run a laptop. The camper will have a catalytic heater and no fridge.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Water Pump

Water pump will be a Whale Gusher Galley MK3 Foot Pump.

24207.jpg

I have used these pumps for years and have never had a single problem with one. The foot pump is really nice while cooking, and using one has become second nature to me. (I rarely turn on the pressurized water system on the boat, the foot pump is easier to use and wastes a lot less water.) The pump is mounted on the floor behind the cabinet, with the foot pump sticking out a small hole.

Some of the good points about this pump:

Self primes
Double action pump
4 gallons per minute
Easy to pump dry for freezing nights
And it uses no battery power

Binnacle.com has the best price on them. Link

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here is the water tank I will be using. It will keep the 100 pounds (11-tank, 89-water) stored low and forward in the truck.

Front Runner Footwell Water Tank (Link)
1922.jpg

Just ordered this water tank from Equipt.

I think that with the 40L this tank has, I will carry just one 20L Wedco in the camper.

That gives me 16 gallons, and if I need more can fill a couple of the MSR bladders, giving me in the area of 25 gallons of water.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi OH,
Speaking of SMEV, they have a new offering of a single burner/sink combi called the 8800 series. Haven't found it here in the States yet, but googling it (i.e.: SMEV 8821) finds it on several UK sites. It's their most compact and you can choose to have the sink on the left or right side. By the way, thanks for posting about the foot pump. That's good food for thought.

Any thoughts on Finch order timing ?

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hi OH,
Speaking of SMEV, they have a new offering of a single burner/sink combi called the 8800 series. Haven't found it here in the States yet, but googling it (i.e.: SMEV 8821) finds it on several UK sites. It's their most compact and you can choose to have the sink on the left or right side. By the way, thanks for posting about the foot pump. That's good food for thought.

Any thoughts on Finch order timing ?

SMEV makes some nice stuff. I like the design of the units I got, they fit my planned layout nicely. I need to make a post on them.

Not sure when I will ordering the Finch. I am currently working on the contract to work on the water again next summer. If we run the boat again next summer then the camper will have to wait till the fall/winter of 2011.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi OH,

I do like their stuff and the concept of having a built-in cover is very appealing as well. (saw your wtw post, after mine...)

Makes sense about the order timing. Anyway, they keep coming up with neat stuff and improvements all the time, so delaying doesn't seem to be a disadvantage :coffeedrink:

Anyway, really enjoying all this discussion and think you're making good progress on the design. I'll just keep enjoying following along...

SMEV makes some nice stuff. I like the design of the units I got, they fit my planned layout nicely. I need to make a post on them.

Not sure when I will ordering the Finch. I am currently working on the contract to work on the water again next summer. If we run the boat again next summer then the camper will have to wait till the fall/winter of 2011.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Makes sense about the order timing. Anyway, they keep coming up with neat stuff and improvements all the time, so delaying doesn't seem to be a disadvantage :coffeedrink:

Anyway, really enjoying all this discussion and think you're making good progress on the design. I'll just keep enjoying following along...

The only disadvantage is the fact that the price keeps going up. FWC's will cost an extra $500 come December. Do they raise the price every year? I know that in the big picture the price increase is not a big deal, just means my budget will have to be adjusted.

The new one piece roof looks great, even though I will have to have holes in it for the roof rack. The Radius door looks like a proper door. And I have a feeling there might be some more updates coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior