the "Sure, Why Not?", sort of a build thread - Colorado

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Figured I might as well start a "build" thread ?, and since to be cool I clearly needed a BUILD NAME, I went with a name that sort of explains it all "Sure, Why Not?"

Listing of details at this time - 7/28/18

Original owner - 2015 Chevy Colorado - z71 Crew Cab, Long bed (6' bed), 4wd, v6

Canvas Topper - Softtopper
Custom Bed-Rack - Cannonball Metal Works
Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent - Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT)
45qt 12v Refrigerator/Freezer - Engel
Dual Battery set-up
Custom built bed deck, drawer slide and fridge slide
Eibach Pro Kit - suspension lift, set at 2.7"
Autosprings kit Add-a-Leaf - 750#
N-Fab steps
BFG - KO2 tires
Garmin NUVI 57 GPS
X-Bull Traction Tracks
Westin Sportsman Brushbar
Westin Winch Tray
GM zr2 Front & Oil Pan Skids

Attachments

• colo1.jpg
    colo1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Westin Sportsman brushbar w/ winch tray installed.

My main "wants" were for a brush bar and winch mount, this does the trick

I would easily admit that I would prefer the ARB ful bumper and bar, but......

I would also love an Alu-Cab set up, but I went Sofftopper and Bedrack for 1/3 of the cost. I would be thrilled with new 18" wheels, but my stock 17s" work well enough.

There is a line between "want/need" and "want/that would be cool to have".

Buying an ARB bumper for $1000+ more doesn't do much in regards to helping my budget. It would only result in pushing back buying new tires by a month, which would push back buying my CARNET, which would push back the shipping date....and well, you get the picture.

Attachments

• westin.jpg
    westin.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 55

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I built my bed set up to allow for my Engel fridge, second battery and a drawer slide.

I'm currently gearing up to change a section over for fuel and water storage.

The drawer is on rollers (type of rollers used by TruckVault)

I used KV 88 HD 200# 28" Drawer Slides for the fridge pull out.

The base piece has about 6 bolts holding it to the bed, Im going to be dropping my gastank before too long and will be adding 8 more bolts, in conjutnction with fuel and water storage

The cross piece in the drawer was just in there as a brace.

The black swivel base was not used in the end.

Attachments

• bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 102
  • bed2.jpg
    bed2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
  • bed3.jpg
    bed3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 100
  • bed4.jpg
    bed4.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 102
  • bed5.jpg
    bed5.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 102
  • bed6.jpg
    bed6.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 118
  • bedeng.jpg
    bedeng.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 121

BobsCreek

Adventurer
the bed set up is currently in the process of being modified to allow for 15 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of water storage.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I fell in love with Roof Top Tents while in Africa in 2015, once I came back to the US I undertook changing my truck around to enable myself to have a more, over-landing style vehicle.

So I needed a tent, great!

What brand to buy quickly became a driving question in my mind. The brand I used in Africa was an Eezi-Awn and not easily found in the US. I also quickly found that brands such as EeziAwn, Howling Moon and a few select others were considered vastly superior to many of the offerings in the US market.

After some more investigation it because clear that often American brand tents seem to originate from the same source in China, this leads to many tents looking nearly the same and being copies of "the original". Ok then, copies can still be a good product! Let me keep looking.

There are clearly better quality tents and cheap tents, after a great deal of reading reviews, reading how some tents/brands did this or that to increase or decrease quality/cost I wound up opting for a CVT brand tent. https://cascadiatents.com/

Why? Their quality and customer service seemed to be above average compared to many other companies, along with the nice part that their headquarters is within driving distance on where I live.

So anyways, I have a CVT Mt Shasta now on my truck!

I have used it around 30 times so far and here are my views.

1) If I were to go back in time and need to buy an RTT (Roof Top Tent) again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CVT.
2) The mattress is very firm, it took a few sleeps to get used to it, since then I find that I sleep on it like a baby.
3) The tent came with a Annex that hangs down to the ground. I find it useless and it generally lives in my storage unit. It adds to much time to set up/take down and takes up too much storage area to be practical for my uses.
4) The cover for the tent is a zip on. I HATE this aspect, I would be happier with a cover that wraps under the frame of the tent and is not prone to getting its zipper caught on tent material, however I don't think there is a tent from an American company that has the cover style I would like.
5) Set up and take down is simple and, if you do it a few times can be done in just a couple minutes.
6) Depending on weather temps you can have windows open providing great ventilation, or closed to keep the tent nice and cozy.
7) I am told that some people leave all their bedding/sleeping bags in the tent when they close it up. I have done so and, I don't like it. I feel it adds to much stress to the hinge points along with causing the cover to not ride as low as it should to help protect from weather.
8) Camping in Snow, Mud, Sand and so on is a breeze!!! There is no fighting to set up a ground tent in the muck!
9) the material of the tent and the tents construction all seem to be of good quality. I would recommend always paying attention to seam sealing, it can never hurt to apply some yourself no matter what brand tent it is. (no I didn't have an issue with the CVT, its just habit of mine)

Finally, I will admit that when camping long term (3+) nights in the same place it can prove useful to have a ground tent. For instance, in my situation I'm out of the camp driving at dawn most days and wont be back till dusk. Admittedly set up/tear down of the RTT is simple, but if you don't need to do it, then the time and hassle of setting up the ground tent can be worthwhile. However, I'm on the move a lot and tend to not be in the same campground for days on end, I love my RTT.

Attachments

• cvt.jpg
    cvt.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 72

BobsCreek

Adventurer
For any who care, I've changed my IG and Twitter.

I've split my account to have my original stick with Wildlife, and my new one to cover the Colorado to Africa build.

@chevy_safariado for the truck
@bobscreekphotos for wildlife

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Very nice build! Thank you for your input on the 'why' of your decisions. Great read and I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

DirtyMike54

I fell in love with Roof Top Tents while in Africa in 2015, once I came back to the US I undertook changing my truck around to enable myself to have a more, over-landing style vehicle.

So I needed a tent, great!

What brand to buy quickly became a driving question in my mind. The brand I used in Africa was an Eezi-Awn and not easily found in the US. I also quickly found that brands such as EeziAwn, Howling Moon and a few select others were considered vastly superior to many of the offerings in the US market.

After some more investigation it because clear that often American brand tents seem to originate from the same source in China, this leads to many tents looking nearly the same and being copies of "the original". Ok then, copies can still be a good product! Let me keep looking.

There are clearly better quality tents and cheap tents, after a great deal of reading reviews, reading how some tents/brands did this or that to increase or decrease quality/cost I wound up opting for a CVT brand tent. https://cascadiatents.com/

Why? Their quality and customer service seemed to be above average compared to many other companies, along with the nice part that their headquarters is within driving distance on where I live.

So anyways, I have a CVT Mt Shasta now on my truck!

I have used it around 30 times so far and here are my views.

1) If I were to go back in time and need to buy an RTT (Roof Top Tent) again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CVT.
2) The mattress is very firm, it took a few sleeps to get used to it, since then I find that I sleep on it like a baby.
3) The tent came with a Annex that hangs down to the ground. I find it useless and it generally lives in my storage unit. It adds to much time to set up/take down and takes up too much storage area to be practical for my uses.
4) The cover for the tent is a zip on. I HATE this aspect, I would be happier with a cover that wraps under the frame of the tent and is not prone to getting its zipper caught on tent material, however I don't think there is a tent from an American company that has the cover style I would like.
5) Set up and take down is simple and, if you do it a few times can be done in just a couple minutes.
6) Depending on weather temps you can have windows open providing great ventilation, or closed to keep the tent nice and cozy.
7) I am told that some people leave all their bedding/sleeping bags in the tent when they close it up. I have done so and, I don't like it. I feel it adds to much stress to the hinge points along with causing the cover to not ride as low as it should to help protect from weather.
8) Camping in Snow, Mud, Sand and so on is a breeze!!! There is no fighting to set up a ground tent in the muck!
9) the material of the tent and the tents construction all seem to be of good quality. I would recommend always paying attention to seam sealing, it can never hurt to apply some yourself no matter what brand tent it is. (no I didn't have an issue with the CVT, its just habit of mine)

Finally, I will admit that when camping long term (3+) nights in the same place it can prove useful to have a ground tent. For instance, in my situation I'm out of the camp driving at dawn most days and wont be back till dusk. Admittedly set up/tear down of the RTT is simple, but if you don't need to do it, then the time and hassle of setting up the ground tent can be worthwhile. However, I'm on the move a lot and tend to not be in the same campground for days on end, I love my RTT.

How did the CVT handle the rain? Looking into RTTs and this was a huge help. Great build!

BobsCreek

Adventurer
It's been fine in rain so far! Since I purchasing used I did run seam sealer, but I had actually hosed it prior to sealing and it didn't leak.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Got my rack back from Ryan@ Cannonball Metal Works in Redding CA.

Hinged sides, with locks are in place, along with mounts for my grill, traction boards and rod case.

Still some "fine tuning" to do, because we intentionally left some aspects unfinished for future thinking :-D

He also finished up "cages" for my fuel and water storage.

As normal, I'm happy with his work.

Of course I would be happier with everything if I had planned it all to go this way from the beginning lol!

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_174227_741.jpg
    IMG_20181109_174227_741.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Did some work on my fuel/water storage set up today. Tomorrow it gets fully attached.

The fuel is located over the fuel fill, so is easy to syphon, the water will have a pump installed for it's use. Both will be easy to access with the Softopper in place.

The connecting bar has now been drilled and a bolt sunk through the bar, the plywood base and the truck bed. Each side will also be screwed into the plywood base.

The fuel storage is on the opposite side of the truck, and as far away from the 2nd battery as I could get things set-up.

For what it's worth I will be adding a ground strap for the fuel tanks since they are going to be semi-permanent and will be filled in place

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_154517679.jpg
    IMG_20181111_154517679.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20181111_113610160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181111_113610160_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20181109_164245951.jpg
    IMG_20181109_164245951.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59

Forum statistics

Threads