The Story of Rocky (1999 2.5)

Zoomaster

If you heat the glue strip with a hair dryer you won’t need to cut the plastic.

I'll be sure to remember that when i tackle the driver door, too late for the passenger lol

And i'm putting off the window repair as it shouldn't be needed for my states inspection, so probably in a month if i ever get to it

Zoomaster

Took it out for long drive today to get use to the vehicle at highway speeds and to see if the cel would come on, and I almost got away with no cel. Same fuel trim code and a new code, P0125 popped up (engine coolant temperature sensor). I was able to fix that and cleaned out some of the coolant tubing tonight and replacing the sensor seemed to fix my issue of the system running rich. so fingers crossed the check engine light doesn't come on again!

20180527_214023.jpg

Zoomaster

Its been awhile but here's the update:
Made the 350 mile trip on really bad tires just alright, already have 2 new ones to replace them for the time being, also made about 15-16 mpg. Still leaking oil but sadly I wont have the time till I get back from my summer job.
The alternator died on me while I was here and the car sat for almost a month but finally today after I got the 2nd alternator (long story) its running and charging again! Still more to do but im in it for the long run.

20180719_204507.jpg20180719_204656.jpg20180726_160303.jpg20180802_142553.jpg

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Good to see the Montero getting you to where you needed to go.

Your oil leak is what is probably killing your alternator. Do you know where its leaking from? Most common areas are the valve cover gaskets and the cam seals in these motors especially if aftermarket low quality parts were used. If you replace them...i highly recommend OEM.

Zoomaster

Good to see the Montero getting you to where you needed to go.

Your oil leak is what is probably killing your alternator. Do you know where its leaking from? Most common areas are the valve cover gaskets and the cam seals in these motors especially if aftermarket low quality parts were used. If you replace them...i highly recommend OEM.

Yeah that is what killed the last one, that and it was a crappy aftermarket. Picked up a oem from car-part but they sent me the wrong one so i've got to deal with 85 amps instead of the stock 100, if it becomes a problem i'll just plan for the 110 amp upgrade.

Zoomaster

Did a transmission fluid change and removed the running boards, looks much cleaner now and the shifts are smoother. Next up are the ball joints. Also the 85amp alternator is working fine but im guessing i don't have much headroom for adding more electronics to the system.

20180929_153433.jpg

20180929_171516.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
FWIW - I have a genuine Mitsu 100amp alternator out of a 2001 Gen3. It needs to be rebuilt by an alternator shop but still a much better than buying an aftermarket o'reilly one. PM if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles