The Storm trooper 4th gen 4runner

djtc

Adventurer
Creating this thread to document the progression/changes with my truck.This is my 3rd toyota truck. First was this guy. (2000 4runner 5spd locked rear)

Then it was the 1990 pickup. I swapped a vw tdi into it, awsome truck that would go anywhere at stock height 33"km2 and an e locked rear.It would Idle over anything.

And now , the newest truck i've owned..a 2005 4th gen limited. First thing I noticed is how bad these things are for ground clearance!

djtc

Adventurer
Fast forward about 8 months and during that time I've had the headgasket go on the 1gr 4 months after acquisition. Replaced the headgasket , built a front bumper,sliders,skids,sleeping platform and took a trip to Colorado ,utah (moab!) ,arizona, California.

Sliders

Sleeping platform (got a fridge the day I left for the trip, best decision!).Led light strips are the best for some late night map browsing.

Just packed it for the trip at this point.

Moab!

And here's how I spend every other weekend!

Many more changes to come. #1 being ways to get the belly on this pig flatter . I tore the exhaust off twice in moab and bent one LCA.Maybe a rear bumper build and larger roof rack..

djtc

Adventurer
First step to reduce the low hanging belly for the fat pig is to lift the entire exhaust system.

Problems with the v6 4th gen exhaust.

#1. The crossover pipe that looks crushed going behind the trans cross member is one of the lowest points that gets caught on every belly dragging rock.Not to mention its extremely restrictive.

#2.The huge stock muffler hangs bellow the frame a lot and acts as an anchor when going over rocks.In my case a little throttle ripped it off ...twice.

#3. The tailpipe section always get crushed shut when going up or down a steep rock face.The fumes also vent back in the cab when the rear window is down.

Solutions : #1.run the y pipe behind the transfer case. #2 install a slim muffler that can be tucked up over the lowest point of the frame . #3 The tail pipe section should dump to the side in an area where it is not vulnerable to damage.

Some of the parts used.I wanted to make a connections on the exhaust V band but failed to order the proper amount (will update). I used 2.25 mandrel bent pipe to maintain the overall stock diameter but with smoother bend and less restrictive junctions.

Just to show you. This is the crossover pipe cut in half. It it a double wall pipe with an internal 1" pipe.

Bad picture and messy garage I know.. this is the overall layout of the Y pipe. As you can see a smoother and higher flowing system.

Muffler and tailpipe section.The long muffler and resonator keep this system very low key. Excuse the welding , was running .035 wire with no gas left ..

Installed. After a little while , salt already taking its effect..

Tail pipe running over the frame and dumping down.

Overall the exhaust is great and mellow. The clearance is 100% better now . Next step on the belly tuck project will probably be making a new transmission crossmember.

djtc

Adventurer
Forgot about this thread..

Some updates:
Made a rack for the trooper and bought a cvt tent + awning (winter wheels on)

Then sold the tent.

Getting flexy with the new wheel set . Dropped down to 16" rims with 255/85/16 KM2's

Last edited:

Watt maker

I like what you did with the exhaust. I was laying under my 4th gen looking at possible ways to re-route it just yesterday. Have you had any issues with the exhaust running close to the fuel tank? Any other issues?

djtc

Adventurer
I like what you did with the exhaust. I was laying under my 4th gen looking at possible ways to re-route it just yesterday. Have you had any issues with the exhaust running close to the fuel tank? Any other issues?

No issues at all only benefits.

djtc

Adventurer
She did well on the trail yesterday hanging with a rubicon on 37's.

Got a little tippy ! Butt pucker factor high on this one. The sliders were used a lot on this climb . Called "pinion pass"

Pinion pass

Found a nice remote spot to camp. As you can see my bumper isn't holding on too well. In need of a rear steel bumper soon!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior