The Status of Overlanding Today

Is overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel today?

• Yes

Votes: 185 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've been watching a neighbor across the street with his new Taco, he added a rack, lights, awning on both sides and a RTT! Looks like it might tip over.

It's never been gone, so far, for more than a work day and it's never been gone long over any weekend. I'll bet he's on EP! :ROFLMAO:

DieselRanger

The idea of overlanding is often more attractive than the reality. Just like driving your daily with a set of 37" M/Ts on there. You might go offroad a few times a year, but you probably won't. Nevertheless, it's a good feeling to have when you're stuck in traffic and you just flip a u-turn over the median's curb, trundle across the short grassy very-slightly-v-shaped median drainage, and hop back on the freeway in the other direction to get back to the last exit to get around the mess. It leaves one with a sense of smug satisfaction that the driver of the Honda Civic Type R who cut you off right before traffic ground to a halt won't ever have.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Theres no one on the planet that can legitimately argue that it not fully morphed into just one giant marketing machine.

People are spending $400 on little mini "tactical shovels" and $700 for pelican case coffee kits. I mean... Seriously...

Why? Because the marketing machine is running full tilt and consumers are brainwashed into believing the more whiz bang gizmos they have at the next Expo, where they are packed in like sardines, the more their fellow brainwashed weekend warrior friends will accept them, while camping 3ft away from them in a dirt muddy sliver of a campsite they paid big $ to reserve for the privilege to experience the brainwashing in real life.

For awhile, it bothered me all these new companies popping up offering simple products at an obscene mark up aka overland tax, and that they were taking advantage of consumers.

Now, i find it amusing.. You wanna pay $400 for a "tactical mini shovel"? Have at it.

You want to drop $50k for a non refundable deposit on a grossly overweight Tacoma Camper and be the victim of a pyramid scheme? Have at it.

Pay $100s of dollars to attend an expo for the privilege of seeing companies products they are trying to sell you, while youre camping 3ft from the guy next to you? Have at it.

Its all just funny and amusing that this point honestly.

I've met some lifelong friends on this forum back in the day, and had some epic adventures with them all over, so for that ill be forever thankful

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Actually, when I was traveling in Europe in a Volvo 144, camping, staying on beaches, in the woods, and in cities before stealth camping was even a coined phrase, I did this "overlanding" thing. The only thing new is the capitalistic side telling people they need crap to travel and specialized machines to do it! LOL, SUCKERS!

MiamiC70

Theres no one on the planet that can legitimately argue that it not fully morphed into just one giant marketing machine.

People are spending $400 on little mini "tactical shovels" and $700 for pelican case coffee kits. I mean... Seriously...

Why? Because the marketing machine is running full tilt and consumers are brainwashed into believing the more whiz bang gizmos they have at the next Expo, where they are packed in like sardines, the more their fellow brainwashed weekend warrior friends will accept them, while camping 3ft away from them in a dirt muddy sliver of a campsite they paid big $ to reserve for the privilege to experience the brainwashing in real life.

For awhile, it bothered me all these new companies popping up offering simple products at an obscene mark up aka overland tax, and that they were taking advantage of consumers.

Now, i find it amusing.. You wanna pay $400 for a "tactical mini shovel"? Have at it.

You want to drop $50k for a non refundable deposit on a grossly overweight Tacoma Camper and be the victim of a pyramid scheme? Have at it.

Pay $100s of dollars to attend an expo for the privilege of seeing companies products they are trying to sell you, while youre camping 3ft from the guy next to you? Have at it.

I've met some lifelong friends on this forum back in the day, and had some epic adventures with them all over, so for that ill be forever thankful
This guy gets it. 100%

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Yep!
Its not even the Overlanding thing today. Even the basic RV thing has gone down the stupid rabbit hole. A local parent who bought a COVID travel trailer the last one in my social group that still has his COVID trailer. Was just telling me that the “Resort” ?‍♂️ they stayed in two yrs ago basically a mobile home park only you bring your own, has quadrupled their fees and are sold out for the next 11 months.

While he was tell us during half time I pulled up a
Sweet Airbnb “in town” not outside of where they wanted to visit for the exact week they wanted for the same damn price?. And it had a hot tub and 500 positive reviews.

He just listed his RV for sale today and said he booked that very same place I showed him???

UglyViking

Yep!
Its not even the Overlanding thing today. Even the basic RV thing has gone down the stupid rabbit hole. A local parent who bought a COVID travel trailer the last one in my social group that still has his COVID trailer. Was just telling me that the “Resort” ?‍♂️ they stayed in two yrs ago basically a mobile home park only you bring your own, has quadrupled their fees and are sold out for the next 11 months.

While he was tell us during half time I pulled up a
Sweet Airbnb “in town” not outside of where they wanted to visit for the exact week they wanted for the same damn price?. And it had a hot tub and 500 positive reviews.

He just listed his RV for sale today and said he booked that very same place I showed him???
I think a lot of the travel trailer vs hotel/airbnb/etc. thing comes down to what you're looking to do. I find hotels are awesome as singles or couples, but are not great for young kids. Airbnb can be hit or miss but seems like a great option for as long as it's around. The biggest plus I can see to a trailer is for people who like to do outdoor stuff and/or have dogs. Finding a hotel or airbnb that's cool with dogs is a nightmare, and even if you do it's generally hanging in the hotel or going out for dinner, etc. A trailer gives you the option to grill, have a fire, and chill outside in ways that hotels lack.

Airbnb is the most viable option if you don't have dogs, and doesn't really have a downside except for trying to find one that includes the stuff you want. Plus, at least personally, I always feel like I'm crashing at an extended friends home, so I struggle to really get comfortable in the same way I do at a hotel or trailer.

YMMV and all that. Currently, due to the huge covid influx, trailering is super expensive, but I think that will eventually normalize.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Last time I traveled, had my pitbull, she was well behaved, I had kayakee slacks, white shirt, and a 45 in a holster on my belt. I went up to a Drury Inn counter, sign said "NO PETS" I said this is my cadaver dog, she goes where I go. The response was " no problem sir"!

It's like she knew we were pulling off some *******! She sat, looked straight ahead, didn't flinch, acted like a real K-9 cop dog. She walked down the hall, sat while I unlocked the door and never looked around at anything until we got in our room. Dang, she was a smart dog!

dstefan

Most recent case in point is the EP article posted a few days ago on Overland Tote bags. Cheapest was $80 up to $215. Really? We have multiple tote bags that stand up fine at fraction of the cost. Tactical tote bags? Give me a break!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think a lot of the travel trailer vs hotel/airbnb/etc. thing comes down to what you're looking to do. I find hotels are awesome as singles or couples, but are not great for young kids. Airbnb can be hit or miss but seems like a great option for as long as it's around. The biggest plus I can see to a trailer is for people who like to do outdoor stuff and/or have dogs. Finding a hotel or airbnb that's cool with dogs is a nightmare, and even if you do it's generally hanging in the hotel or going out for dinner, etc. A trailer gives you the option to grill, have a fire, and chill outside in ways that hotels lack.

Airbnb is the most viable option if you don't have dogs, and doesn't really have a downside except for trying to find one that includes the stuff you want. Plus, at least personally, I always feel like I'm crashing at an extended friends home, so I struggle to really get comfortable in the same way I do at a hotel or trailer.

YMMV and all that. Currently, due to the huge covid influx, trailering is super expensive, but I think that will eventually normalize.

Every airbnb we have done was with our two dogs and every place had a hot tub. We also have two kids. The only negative to airbnb is that our old haunts are getting banned. Meaning “residential zoned” are being made 30day minimum rentals. There are some places that are specifically open and targeting airbnb business like SunRiver OR which is like 1/2 our town goes there for winter and summer trips (oddly it cost us more than our Oahu trip too)

The camp trailer for us is more of a NP pod ie stay IN the NP and explore it. Airbnb you stay outside the park, In many cases quite a distance outside the park especially if it had a entrance line in the AM like say Arches or YellowStone etc. The other thing for camp trailer are Lake Sailing regattas, Mt Bike trips etc.

For city location visits ie Monterey CA, SunRiver OR, Seattle, Denver, Etc Airbnb all the way.

The lets go to a RV resort / parking lot. Yeah no thanks AirBNB all the way..

UglyViking

Every airbnb we have done was with our two dogs and every place had a hot tub. We also have two kids. The only negative to airbnb is that our old haunts are getting banned. Meaning “residential zoned” are being made 30day minimum rentals. There are some places that are specifically open and targeting airbnb business like SunRiver OR which is like 1/2 our town goes there for winter and summer trips (oddly it cost us more than our Oahu trip too)

The camp trailer for us is more of a NP pod ie stay IN the NP and explore it. Airbnb you stay outside the park, In many cases quite a distance outside the park especially if it had a entrance line in the AM like say Arches or YellowStone etc. The other thing for camp trailer are Lake Sailing regattas, Mt Bike trips etc.

For city location visits ie Monterey CA, SunRiver OR, Seattle, Denver, Etc Airbnb all the way.

The lets go to a RV resort / parking lot. Yeah no thanks AirBNB all the way..
If you're hanging out in major cities, then yes an RV is a horrible option. I sort of alluded to that in my initial comment.

Now, if you're out exploring national parks, rural areas, etc. then RVs really shine, even suburban areas are pretty solid for them.

I'd never look to go to NYC in an RV, it's not the right tool for the job.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you're hanging out in major cities, then yes an RV is a horrible option. I sort of alluded to that in my initial comment.

Now, if you're out exploring national parks, rural areas, etc. then RVs really shine, even suburban areas are pretty solid for them.

I'd never look to go to NYC in an RV, it's not the right tool for the job.
Agreed. If we are in our RV it's in the woods. I would use an rental place if the intent was not to go camping.

They all have their places and uses. To each their own.

That being said, I suppose if we could find a rental cabin...... But, I hate paying to rent stuff, lol

You do it enough times and you could've just bought your own...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed. If we are in our RV it's in the woods. I would use an rental place if the intent was not to go camping.

They all have their places and uses. To each their own.

That being said, I suppose if we could find a rental cabin...... But, I hate paying to rent stuff, lol

You do it enough times and you could've just bought your own...

Have looked at that argument also. Especially since 2001 wife and I have had a on going joke. Just box that and mark it Cabin and toss it in the attic. We just did our lunch walk and we’re discussing our “cabin” buying strategy and window of opportunity it’s likely now thru end of 3rd Quarter this yr. If we don’t get in then we’re out and likely doing something different.

We have 4 streets identified in a specific location. If something pops up we are basically all set to try and make it happen. But we aren’t offering crazy money via free loans . So not playing that game?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Have looked at that argument also. Especially since 2001 wife and I have had a on going joke. Just box that and mark it Cabin and toss it in the attic. We just did our lunch walk and we’re discussing our “cabin” buying strategy and window of opportunity it’s likely now thru end of 3rd Quarter this yr. If we don’t get in then we’re out and likely doing something different.

We have 4 streets identified in a specific location. If something pops up we are basically all set to try and make it happen. But we aren’t offering crazy money via free loans . So not playing that game?
Hope it works out for you. A cabin is a goal of ours too. May keep our trailer as a bunkhouse if that happens. Who knows.

Not sure if the real estate market there is in the same pattern as ours but, highers rates and recession fears + more stringemt mortgage requiremtnts have cooled housing prices. Haven't looked lately to see if the trend has crossed over into the recreational property side.

Middle of winter and cold here.

So doubt there's many cabins on the market now. It could be a good time to buy in the sense demand is low but bad in the sense listings are low as well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hope it works out for you. A cabin is a goal of ours too. May keep our trailer as a bunkhouse if that happens. Who knows.

Not sure if the real estate market there is in the same pattern as ours but, highers rates and recession fears + more stringemt mortgage requiremtnts have cooled housing prices. Haven't looked lately to see if the trend has crossed over into the recreational property side.

Middle of winter and cold here.

So doubt there's many cabins on the market now. It could be a good time to buy in the sense demand is low but bad in the sense listings are low as well.

Unfortunately our target area was in head line news during COVID as the hottest 2nd home market in the US. It’s definitely cooled off. A huge factor was free bank money buyers were crazy and hell its not their money its free bank money ??. The positives in our favor are no more short term rentals in this area so no Airbnb income to cover paying too much?.

Add the not so free bank money now.. Prices have definitely cooled. Lots of homes still that haven’t traded hands in 30+ yrs so still possible we can land one for logical $ vs funny money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles