The Status of Overlanding Today

Is overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel today?

• Yes

Votes: 185 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

MOAK

Adventurer
It's a bit hypocritcal (I kinda agree with him) but at the same time it's pretty obvious "Expedition" trucks are a trend that has spiraled completely out of hand. There are guys doing cool stuff in 2wd rigs, there are guys with Unimogs that just drive to Starbucks....but in general, what I see is a ridiculous trend and IG 'builds' that use the same 2-3 platforms that get sold 2 years after they get built....ad naseum
Well ya, duh. My point to him was, I and dare I say, most people, do not consider relating an observation to others as complaining. I saw no text on this subject as a complaint. At worst, tongue in cheek humor directed at the posers with boatloads of money. Look at it this way. It is 20 degrees f today. A person that dislikes cold weather would see that statement as my complaining, when in fact it was a simple observation. That, would be a miscommunication, and miscommunications need to be clarified. Lemme get this straight. I made an observation, then wrote about how what I have observed has benefitted me and others in this hobby. That makes me a bit hypocritical?

nickw

Adventurer
Well ya, duh. My point to him was, I and dare I say, most people, do not consider relating an observation to others as complaining. I saw no text on this subject as a complaint. At worst, tongue in cheek humor directed at the posers with boatloads of money. Look at it this way. It is 20 degrees f today. A person that dislikes cold weather would see that statement as my complaining, when in fact it was a simple observation. That, would be a miscommunication, and miscommunications need to be clarified. Lemme get this straight. I made an observation, then wrote about how what I have observed has benefitted me and others in this hobby. That makes me a bit hypocritical?
He wasn't even quoting you originally - just giving an opinion (also). I don't equate a quantitative measurement (temp) to a qualitative one (your observations and assumptions)...I therefore reject your temperature analogy in full :)

I was actually pointing to myself too since I was piping up about how ridiculous it's gotten, so generally agree with you.....but think he's fair in his assesment

MOAK

Adventurer
He wasn't even quoting you originally - just giving an opinion (also). I don't equate a quantitative measurement (temp) to a qualitative one (your observations and assumptions)...I therefore reject your temperature analogy in full :)

I was actually pointing to myself too since I was piping up about how ridiculous it's gotten, so generally agree with you.....but think he's fair in his assesment
???? it’s tough sometimes to relate senses of humor. Thanks!

Av8Chuck

Its difficult to gauge the status of Overlanding when no one seems to agree what it actually is. I don't mind sharing what I think but I'm certainly not trying to define it.

Maybe a way to discuss the status of Overlanding is by people expressing what they think it is not. For example, I don't think it's Camping, Car Camping, RVing or Off Roading. Each of those categories is well defined and been around for decades and although Overlanding might contain one or all of those elements I'm interested in how its different and what makes it different? I'm not sure the difference ultimately means anything, I'm just curious. For the past year and a half I've been battling cancer so we have not been able to go on any adventures. I decided to build a trailer for my Jeep to occupy my time and try to do something productive.

During this time I talked to as many "overlanding" (looking) rigs I could to learn about their experiences. The the people I spoke with were mostly in the different categories mentioned earlier where they created some sort of rig that would add more creature comforts (glamping), support their passion for biking, off-roading etc.. A noticeable percentage were people who chose to live for extended periods of time in their rigs. This is what I think differentiates Overlanding from the other categories. I spoke to people in the local Walmart, Home Depot, Target parking lots and a few campgrounds. There were a surprising number of people in the campgrounds that were itinerant workers doing road work, powerline inspections, and environmental studies that otherwise would have been in hotels. This provided a pretty good per diem, the company paid less than it would have cost for hotels so everyone was happy. A growing number of people felt the pandemic changed the remote working and distance learning culture in the US which has enabled those who want to live further out on the grid and only come into the city for meetings, resupply and dumping waste. That was probably the number one reason given in the "parking lots." For young couples with children the change in priority for distance learning has cut the umbilical with the schools so they can stay out longer. Finally, a lot of people in this thread complained about YouTube's monetization of content. Most of the younger people used that as a source of remote working. They loved to "Overland" and they felt that Youtube extended their reach so they could make enough money sharing their passion online. Although none of them said they were making a profit.

Obviously this isn't some kind of accurate market study but just guessing I'd say I consider those that have been camping, RVing and off roading for decades are early adopters, there appears to be a confluence of cultural change, technology and economics which has enabled Overlanding to make it into the mainstream. My experience is that people who are in the mainstream don't like early adopters, they don't want to build it themselves, they want it simple to use and they see the value in doing it very differently than the DIYrs. So while a lot of people think the concept of Overland has peaked, I think it's only just beginning. Zoom was OK, maybe the necessary evil at the time, but what supplants it will enable dispersed living on a scale we've never even thought of. I probably won't live to see it but I find that very exciting.

Jupiter58

I agree that 95% of what we see in this site is camping. No one pulling a trailer bigger than a ‘military’ utility trailer is overlanding. Going to a campsite or even a dispersed site for a few days is not overlanding.
I am not sure how to define it in USA/Canada except to say it must be traveling off pavement for 4 or 5 days. And I mean traveling, not setting up somewhere. If you travel to a spot, stay and return home, that is camping.

I would also submit that if you have an indoor toilet or shower or ac, you are glamping!
I partially defend folks with over 33 in tires in the USA. Some of these folks need those to get to their destination and they prepared the vehicle for that purpose. While not ideal for an around the world trip some folks build out their vehicle so they can sustain for days and tackle challenging terrain. Probably a more common occurrence in North America then elsewhere.

I will be sleeping in my jeep for about 6-7 weeks staring early October. Traveling from south Florida to Oregon. I have ridden the entire TAT on a motorcycle and I will do it again in my jeep while adding things like rimrocker, white rim, some bdr, CDR and other select trails. Rubicon on 33s so I will push that a bit and see if a mild lift and 35s are in my future for more challenging stuff.
10-12k miles, will involve a lot of pavement on the return as I will hit New England and visit folks. Is it overlanding? Meh, probably not. I will likely not go more than 4 days wild camping in a row. I don’t have a rtt, freezer, Toyota or a dog and I am not ‘finding myself’ so no opportunities for glamour!

Though I can not relate to most of the content on this site I have learned a little bit from almost everything I have read and a lot from a number of things.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

@Av8Chuck consider climate change in the future, at 106 degrees F, the human body begins shutting down. Yesterday it was 106 in DeRidder, La. (small town just north of Lake Charles and south of Ft. Polk) The hottest day I've had was 104 for a few hours in south Tx.

I think of Overlanding as simply self sufficient vehicle supported traveling for any reason.

What are some reasons to hit the road?

Homelessness, people pushed out by various reasons.

Vocation requires traveling.

Political and social unrest, it might not be safe to stay there.

Leads us to war, those that stay usually can't go.

Strife, an area can no longer sustains the population.

Climate is no longer conducive to habitation.

Natural disasters, more frequent tornados, wild fires, hurricanes, perhaps earth quakes or very strong sun spot radiation can force us to leave.

In the future all of these aspects will intensify requiring migration.

The world population is growing, that further complicates all of the above situations.

Now, today we look at overlanding as mainly a recreation and there is an entire industry that has been created to support our capitalistic ideologies.
So, I would say your assumptions are correct, overlanding will morph into necessity rather than a recreational pastime.

As to commercialization, it's purely nuts, formed out of capitalistic greed, influencing people to define themselves according to their Id and Ego.

Much is never enough, being convinced that 4wd is necessary, that's not good enough you must have "lockers" you must also have a winch, under armor, skid rails, bigger tires, a snorkel just in case, extra fuel cans, a high lift jack, a million lumens worth of lights and shelter that you can live in or out of. Actually, the list never ends and often the reason you should have something is because you have something else you don't really need. Example, a lift kit needs bigger wheels/tires that needs a high lift jack!

I think all the hype causes beginning wannabes to stay home and buy crap and collect gizmos thinking they can't really go until they are fully equipped. That's too bad.

I've hit 18 countries and 42 states, started with a VW bug, then a Volvo 145 which took me all over Europe. Never did I have 4wd, I had a shovel and a tow strap. I was also young and on a budget with some common sense.

The problem many have here is that they define overlanding with requirements that meet their equipment desires. You must be traveling X miles for X time off road. Define a road. When you cross the Rockies, anywhere, you are on a roadway of some kind, that trail of a roadway might be horrible and difficult for most vehicles. Your definition requires that you have a capable vehicle of doing everything short of flying. Take a different path, over land. Other options are by air or by sea, otherwise you go by land to travel!

Last edited:

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I agree that 95% of what we see in this site is camping. No one pulling a trailer bigger than a ‘military’ utility trailer is overlanding. Going to a campsite or even a dispersed site for a few days is not overlanding.
I am not sure how to define it in USA/Canada except to say it must be traveling off pavement for 4 or 5 days. And I mean traveling, not setting up somewhere. If you travel to a spot, stay and return home, that is camping.
Bigger than a utility trailer? What about these?
Best Off-Road Camper Trailers Ever Produced (camperguide.org)

Must be traveling 4 or 5 days off pavement? In North America we have this thing about property rights, people own real estate not to mention the same being true for corporate entities. I understand that there are some trails and gravel roads that are public but seems most wouldn't take 4 days to travel on. I don't think being lost in a semi remote area counts, or being stranded. Would going across the Salt Flats qualify?
So, if we leave home in Springfield, Mo and go on the Trail of Tears, to the hills of S.E. TX. stay for a week, go on daily jaunts on the trails and return home, that's just camping?
Like I mentioned in the post above, your definitions seem to justify your equipment/vehicle, not so much what traveling over land can be. :oops:

Av8Chuck

I would also submit that if you have an indoor toilet or shower or ac, you are glamping!
I partially defend folks with over 33 in tires in the USA. Some of these folks need those to get to their destination and they prepared the vehicle for that purpose. While not ideal for an around the world trip some folks build out their vehicle so they can sustain for days and tackle challenging terrain. Probably a more common occurrence in North America then elsewhere.

I will be sleeping in my jeep for about 6-7 weeks staring early October. Traveling from south Florida to Oregon. I have ridden the entire TAT on a motorcycle and I will do it again in my jeep while adding things like rimrocker, white rim, some bdr, CDR and other select trails. Rubicon on 33s so I will push that a bit and see if a mild lift and 35s are in my future for more challenging stuff.
10-12k miles, will involve a lot of pavement on the return as I will hit New England and visit folks. Is it overlanding? Meh, probably not. I will likely not go more than 4 days wild camping in a row. I don’t have a rtt, freezer, Toyota or a dog and I am not ‘finding myself’ so no opportunities for glamour!

Though I can not relate to most of the content on this site I have learned a little bit from almost everything I have read and a lot from a number of things.
Thanks for the reply.

I try not to define Overlanding based on the hardware. Isn't a Earthroamer just an off road capable motorhome?

When I started "Overlanding" I had not even heard that phrase before. I'm a photographer, I started with a Jeep so that I could get to locations not inundated with people taking pictures with their cell phones from their Prius. Then started camping at the location for longer periods of time. I even hesitate to call it camping. I'd bring a sleeping bag, then a tent, a cot, I needed more water and food and before I knew it I had a cooler, then a fridge, a rooftop tent and a camp kitchen. I didn't go to locations to camp, I went to photograph and my rig grew organically to meet that need all before I ever heard anything about Overlanding. Then my wife started going with me, she really likes it and would like to take the dog, have a hot shower, more room to cook etc.. So now I'm building an M416 trailer to haul more stuff. But no matter how long our photographic adventures might be, we come home.

So under that definition I will never be an Overlander. I would point out many of the people I spoke with about the "overland" lifestyle had only been doing it 18-24 months, most of the people who did it full time over two years were older and their rigs probably fit more into the RV lifestyle. So this brings up another variable, people are in different stages of their life. Many young people can only afford camping or car camping. I'm not implying that's a bad thing, it's a place to start and for some that might be all they want to do. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have people who can afford it but are older and their physical might prohibit them for living the Overland lifestyle. They might need to be close to medical services and friends who can catch them when they fall. That's why some of the people who had been Overlanding for two years or longer were transitioning more into RVing. Oddly, they tended to travel in groups and were 50-60 years old.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Doesn’t matter what type of topic your covering but if your in the business of selling “content” ie Youtube the search for interesting content can definitely impact consumerism behavior and drive the nature of something into a completely different direction.

old van lifers have moved to house building, land development ie farming etc, rebuilding old sailboats and cruising etc. All in the search for new content. Some of it is actually pretty good content some of it is just trash. overlander thing most definitely fell victim to this. Same for the RV thing (more inexperienced RV) owners than places to park at destinations ?

Younger more social media savy generations actually find more value in not posting their great finds given its less likely to be mobbed and messed up.

Jupiter58

Thanks for the reply.

I try not to define Overlanding based on the hardware. Isn't a Earthroamer just an off road capable motorhome?

When I started "Overlanding" I had not even heard that phrase before. I'm a photographer, I started with a Jeep so that I could get to locations not inundated with people taking pictures with their cell phones from their Prius. Then started camping at the location for longer periods of time. I even hesitate to call it camping. I'd bring a sleeping bag, then a tent, a cot, I needed more water and food and before I knew it I had a cooler, then a fridge, a rooftop tent and a camp kitchen. I didn't go to locations to camp, I went to photograph and my rig grew organically to meet that need all before I ever heard anything about Overlanding. Then my wife started going with me, she really likes it and would like to take the dog, have a hot shower, more room to cook etc.. So now I'm building an M416 trailer to haul more stuff. But no matter how long our photographic adventures might be, we come home.

So under that definition I will never be an Overlander. I would point out many of the people I spoke with about the "overland" lifestyle had only been doing it 18-24 months, most of the people who did it full time over two years were older and their rigs probably fit more into the RV lifestyle. So this brings up another variable, people are in different stages of their life. Many young people can only afford camping or car camping. I'm not implying that's a bad thing, it's a place to start and for some that might be all they want to do. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have people who can afford it but are older and their physical might prohibit them for living the Overland lifestyle. They might need to be close to medical services and friends who can catch them when they fall. That's why some of the people who had been Overlanding for two years or longer were transitioning more into RVing. Oddly, they tended to travel in groups and were 50-60 years old.

Lots of good points!!!!!!

Jupiter58

Bigger than a utility trailer? What about these?
Best Off-Road Camper Trailers Ever Produced (camperguide.org)

Must be traveling 4 or 5 days off pavement? In North America we have this thing about property rights, people own real estate not to mention the same being true for corporate entities. I understand that there are some trails and gravel roads that are public but seems most wouldn't take 4 days to travel on. I don't think being lost in a semi remote area counts, or being stranded. Would going across the Salt Flats qualify?
So, if we leave home in Springfield, Mo and go on the Trail of Tears, to the hills of S.E. TX. stay for a week, go on daily jaunts on the trails and return home, that's just camping?
Like I mentioned in the post above, your definitions seem to justify your equipment/vehicle, not so much what traveling over land can be. :oops:

My equipment? A stock jeep? Pretty easy to justify!

Yes, not many opportunities for week long trail runs. I was thinking more to the point of traveling 4-5 days unsustained via linking off road trails or on some of these longer routes. Lots of folks on here do that and report on it.

What do you think is the minimum continuous period one can do unsustained to be considered overlanding?

As far as the trip you mentioned it sounds like the actual traveling is 90% pavement outside of the trails you explore separately. That would fit in the category of camping to me, but that is just me.

As far as those trailers you linked - I think that is exactly why there is all this debate!!!!

Last edited:

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

My equipment? A stock jeep? Pretty easy to justify!

Yes, not many opportunities for week long trail runs. I was thinking more to the point of traveling 4-5 days unsustained via linking off road trails or on some of these longer routes. Lots of folks on here do that and report on it.

What do you think is the minimum continuous period one can do unsustained to be considered overlanding?

As far as the trip you mentioned it sounds like the actual traveling is 90% pavement outside of the trails you explore separately. That would fit in the category of camping to me, but that is just me.

As far as those trailers you linked - I think that is exactly why there is all this debate!!!!

Not sure what you mean by "unsustained", we travel self-sufficiently, we are "sustained".

Why do you believe there should be a time constraint?

In Europe there are trails, gravel and dirt roads just as we have in the U.S. You eventually hit pavement, roll into a town where you might stay at a hostel or hotel. You may stay there for days before you continue on. Some nights you might sleep in your vehicle.

You can easily spend months on and off the road traveling while stopping for hours or days before you continue your journey. That can be done here in the U.S. as well.

Traveling in New England you'll be hard pressed traveling and staying out in the wild, besides public lands, every inch is private property. So, why are we excluding improved, built up areas from the overlanding experience?

Why does there seem to be a requirement to "camp" as if seeking shelter in a structure at any time reclassifies your journey? Pick any "trail" in the country, travel for 5 days as you suggest. but on the third night stay at a friend's hunting cabin, enjoy the air conditioning. By that definition, it seems, you cease "overlanding" starting the clock again when you leave that shelter.

Every overlanding episode involves driving on pavement, if your journey begins with the first step you probably hit pavement going out of your driveway. Who sets the per centage of pavement to dirt in the qualification of overlanding? What or where is that justification?

Let me attempt to answer my own questions. Overlanding is the perception we have of using vehicles, some highly modified, some not, for a self-sufficient, self-sustaining journey over various types of road conditions, including, but not limited to, trails in remote areas as well as built up areas concluding at a preplanned destination.

I don't see a requirement for any period of time, nor distance, nor any requirement for any per centage of the journey being under any specific condition or environment. It's the overall journey that matters, I could travel on pavement, hit dirt trails, go rock crawling, cross a stream, hit dirt then pavement and continue to a destination. Why is that not "overlanding"? It's irrelevant if that journey took all day or two months, in my opinion.

We seem to justify our definitions according to our perception of and the use of the vehicle and equipment we use. You have a 4wd jeep, therefore it must be used, it travels unimproved trails, that becomes part of your definition or you're off roading. You have a tent or a camper, therefore you must camp staying away from any Motel 6. You perceive a survival aspect of being self reliant; therefore you must remain out for a certain period of time.

Let's drop in on the bicycle forums and see what their definition of "overlanding" might be. I'm sure it will be defined according to the equipment they use to accomplish the journey.

I accept the definition of an "expedition" as being overlanding or traveling with a scientific or educational purpose. I could drive to Northwestern University in Chicago, give a lecture and classify my journey as an expedition. Lewis and Clark didn't drive anywhere, but they had an expedition to learn what was to the west.

I've used the word perceived a couple times, it's all about our perception. It could be the level of testosterone seeking adventure, going out to explore, to challenge nature and the terrain or we need a change of scenery.

The status of overlanding is purely commercialized. You shouldn't go out in the wild without your safari hat, Merrell hiking boots, a quality knife and clothing fit for the Great White Hunter of Botswana, Mr. Hemmingway himself. I already mentioned vehicle bling as a right of passage in overlanding society. I even have to laugh at myself, boys and their toys!

Rallies are a sport, overlanding is a past time and expedition travel is a venture. The bottom line doesn't change, it's all about the money for promoters and it is heavily promoted.

Last edited:

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
People (especially on the internet) have a compulsive need to categorize. It kinda drives a lot of the problems in the US today. Regardless, folks tend to get up in arms when something doesn't fit in their silo of what they consider to be "Overlanding." Several others have pointed out already that there seems to be no generally accepted definition of it other than vehicle-dependent travel (generally speaking), which is a mighty broad definition.

My main beef with things today was addressed in the very first post, and I have mentioned it on Mud and a few other forums I frequent, and that is there seem to be very few folks using these sites for trip reports or thought/idea generation, but rather they are just a showcase for purchased modifications, which is probably better suited on Instagram. Like pretty much everything else, that is just my opinion, and it is built on my opinion of what expedition portal is intended for. I mean, perhaps it is primarily a mod showcase, and I'm the one who sees it wrong; who knows.

So in keeping with the theme, I'd like to see people use their rigs for more than just driveway showcasing, but I have no issue with showing them off. I like to see build threads. I like them better when they are followed by trip reports and aren't made up completely of pictures taken in the 4 Wheel Parts service bays. I'm a "built, not bought" kind of guy, though I get that not everyone is or can be. I feel like you can't really "Overland" if you don't know how to work on your rig. You might as well just book a tour with someone else. You certainly can't engage in this hobby cost effectively if you can't work your rig yourself.

It feels to me like most threads on here these days go like this -

Initial "Build" thread -
"Check out my 21 TRD Pro Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner. Looking for feedback on new tires, shocks, lightbars, and maybe eventually an awning. Looking forward to getting out into nature someday."

Follow-up thread 1 -
"The guys at XXX Off Road told me I need a new set of shocks and UCAs to go with the 22-inch wheels and 50 series I had them install. What do you guys think? I set up an appointment to have them install them next weekend. I'll post up a review thread afterward. Looking forward to getting out to nature someday."

Follow-up thread 2 -
"Got the UCAs and shocks installed. Transformed the truck. Didn't get to take it off-road, just the 5 miles from XXX Off Road to my apartment. Made all the difference. Looking forward to getting out into nature someday."

Follow-up thread 3 -
"Took the truck out this weekend to Black Bear Pass. High-centered on a rock. Toyotas suck; looking for a Jeep now. The truck is for sale to fund the new project. $70,000 with the UCAs and Wheels, $50,000 without."

25 people with identical build threads reply.

I mean to each their own, but I'd love to see some folks getting up into the back country to camp, or fly fish with their rigs. I love seeing creative solutions to cooking and sleeping in vehicles. I know the purchased mods keep suppliers in business, and I know that's the bulk of the profitable business for a lot of shops. I just really enjoy creative solutions, and kind of miss seeing them here and elsewhere in lieu of the big dollar parking lot threads.

This is currently one of my favorite threads -
Great White

So the hobby is what it is, but I hate to see it go the way of so many other things and just become a money pit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles