The Status of Overlanding Today

Is overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel today?

• Yes

Votes: 185 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
As for the topic at hand, I voted yes, but I won't pretend to be someone who isn't also caught up in the new shiny stuff that is on offer today. My truck is a 2018 Power Wagon, which by itself doesn't meet the old criteria for an "overland" vehicle. Lack of payload, terrible fuel economy, too large for tight areas etc. But for me its the perfect vehicle. My own personal version of "Overlanding" is being able to take myself, my wife, my stepdaughter and our two dogs comfortably anywhere in the western part of the US. We tow a travel trailer and try to find off grid campsites whenever possible. Sometimes though, for full transparency, we do also make reservations and ensure we have hookups. Summer trips with the dogs we prioritize being able to have the AC running for them when we are not bringing them to different parks. But it all trickles down to what some say is the key to what "Overlanding" is, vehicle based adventure travel. I am not saying I get out and get remote the way Dan Grek or Andrew St. Pierre White do, but we do use the truck to get out and explore the backroads and trails in our part of the country.

I have had my travel trailer (OutdoorRV 23KTS) for about 3 years now, and it does not surprise me that there has been an influx in lightly used trailers on the market recently. When you factor all the expenses together (monthly payment/insurance/maintenance/upkeep/additional fuel costs) I think I end up spending more per night camping than it would cost to stay in a hotel for the same duration. For some that is simply unacceptable and so they dump their trailers as the cost builds. For me it makes sense, I would rather have the freedom to get away from the populated areas and park my trailer somewhere on BLM land for a few nights. Or when we camp in established sites, not have to worry about finding pet friendly rooms for the dogs.

I'm 100% willing to say that we spend more time RVing than off-grid camping. We started camping, then moved to a popup trailer, then a small (16ft) trailer. I also motorcycle camp, and we have a RTT I can throw on the SUV if I want to get way off in the woods. But I don't get way off in the woods...you can't really do that here (Texas). So most of the time, even if we go out (even tent camping), you end up in something like a state park. We also hook our camper up and spend 2-3 weeks traveling across the country every summer. Wyoming to Florida, Maine to Arizona. The camper is nice, but it doesn't look nearly as cool as the overlanding rig. I like taking my own hotel suite with me everywhere. And pulling over for restroom breaks wherever I want. ?

I even make reservations, because I'm lazy and hate getting somewhere just to find that you can't find a place to camp. This past summer, we had some places reserved, but others I thought we could roll off the main road somewhere and set up shop. Nope. Every dispersed site was full. The truth is, people aren't just buying RVs and tents....they're getting out and using them (which I think is great). That said, I just made some beachfront campsite reservations for this summer...

I will tell all of you the real horror story that applies mainly to the US, as opposed to the EU: 2 weeks vacation/year. For most, if you want LWOP (more vacation, unpaid), the employer says NO.
Not sure about Canada.
One can’t do a real “overland trip” in 2 weeks. Out of North America is impossible, trips to the opposite end of the continent and back (like from almost anywhere to and from Alaska) ridiculous.

billiebob

I will tell all of you the real horror story that applies mainly to the US, as opposed to the EU: 2 weeks vacation/year. For most, if you want LWOP (more vacation, unpaid), the employer says NO.
Not sure about Canada.
One can’t do a real “overland trip” in 2 weeks. Out of North America is impossible, trips to the opposite end of the continent and back (like from almost anywhere to and from Alaska) ridiculous.
yep, when Germany automated auto production the Unions made them agree to NOT reduce the work force and German autoworkers plus many other industries get up to 9 weeks paid vacation every year, Canada is much closer to the US standard.

SFP

Well lets throw in on this topic.

Has the hobby/sport of overlanding changed in the last decade. Yes. Is it all about bolt-on gear? I don't think so.

As many have previously stated the times are a changing. IG/YouTube/Social Media has impacted overlanding just as it has impacted every other aspect of life. I work as a professional photographer - you want to talk about influencers, everyone who owns a smartphone calling themselves photographers, the price of modern semi-pro cameras... I can't swing a dead cat in Victoria BC without hitting a so called "professional photographer" (all of whom are self taught, using the top end gear and basing success on the number of likes that they get on the Gram or FB).

Am I am overlander? Who knows. I personally don't care.

My background comes from vans and van life when I was younger, off roading and spending as much time as I can in the back country. Would I ever spend a $100,000.xx on a brand new overland rig - not a chance. Even if I won a big lotto.

The past ten years has seen an explosion in people getting out and exploring the back country. Spots I used to have all to myself now have twenty trucks/cars/SUVs there. It means I have to go farther and farther away to get to a place with no one else there. I do solo trips as well as bring along friends. The pandemic has only made this worse. The number of people I see out there with zero recover gear stuns me, but hey they all seem confident that someone will help them out and they are getting their selfies for the 'Gram they want.

For me it's about getting out and seeing a place few people have. Yes I will photograph it, NO I won't share the location of said places. That's my choice. In BC along with most of western Canada we suffer from a mountain of what I call City Trucks. 4 wheel drive full-size trucks riding on KO2s with factory lift kits. 95% will never see a dirt road. More than 70% will never be used as a truck but rather as a mall queen/grocery getter. My old Volvo wagon has done more "work" related work, and seen a ton more of the back country than these trucks - why? Because I believe the best vehicle to use for overlanding is the one you have on hand. Different strokes for different folks.

We have all seen those "Van Life" folks - they travel the globe, work from on the road, post photos and videos making life seem grand and beautiful. But we also know the reality - their vans break down, they have to do Go Fund campaigns to repair their rigs, life happens. But to people stuck at a crappy 9-5 job with maybe only two weeks off a year, those people are living the dream. It's an illusion that they sell - and corporations pay to have these people promote their products - that's just life and business. The RV lifestyle is no easier than the "owning a home" - things need replacing, things don't work as advertised, stuff breaks. It's a choice.

On the otherside of the coin, I have two good friends who headed off from Victoria heading to the bottom tip of South America on motorbikes. They are three months into the trip. Things have broken. Things have been stolen. They also made a choice to walk away from a business and she quit her job. They gave up a home and have a piece of land with a tiny home on it for when they get back - they also spent ten years saving and planning for the trip. (their YouTube Channel for those interested - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4kuzSSgKDIDrgAElMS0zw )

I love reading about and seeing everyone's Build threads. I also sincerely love trip stories where people are there in everyday rigs. I love that when I run into others in the back country who share my passion we can enjoy a meal together, swap stories, share wisdom and then we each go on our way. I love that there are people out documenting their trips with drones, cell phones and the rest. I would rather spend an evening watching their videos on You Tube than watching TV. I also enjoying reading build threads for people who create rock crawlers and such - no that will never be my rig but I can appreciate it. I enjoy watching how people who do the Van Life thing come up with home-made/DIY solutions.

I have been wanting to drive down to Chili for most of my adult life. I'd love to drive across Russia one day. Who knows if either will happen and if they do what I will drive for said adventures. For myself Overlanding is about being self-reliant. It's about taking the road less traveled.

So do I dislike that companies produce turn-key solutions - nope. Not everyone can spin wrench.

I believe those of us into this hobby/lifestyle can have a positive impact on the world - we interact with different cultures, we showcase the beauty that is planet Earth, we raise awareness about the environment. Those are all good things in my books.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Well lets throw in on this topic.

Has the hobby/sport of overlanding changed in the last decade. Yes. Is it all about bolt-on gear? I don't think so.

As many have previously stated the times are a changing. IG/YouTube/Social Media has impacted overlanding just as it has impacted every other aspect of life. I work as a professional photographer - you want to talk about influencers, everyone who owns a smartphone calling themselves photographers, the price of modern semi-pro cameras... I can't swing a dead cat in Victoria BC without hitting a so called "professional photographer" (all of whom are self taught, using the top end gear and basing success on the number of likes that they get on the Gram or FB).

Am I am overlander? Who knows. I personally don't care.

My background comes from vans and van life when I was younger, off roading and spending as much time as I can in the back country. Would I ever spend a $100,000.xx on a brand new overland rig - not a chance. Even if I won a big lotto.

The past ten years has seen an explosion in people getting out and exploring the back country. Spots I used to have all to myself now have twenty trucks/cars/SUVs there. It means I have to go farther and farther away to get to a place with no one else there. I do solo trips as well as bring along friends. The pandemic has only made this worse. The number of people I see out there with zero recover gear stuns me, but hey they all seem confident that someone will help them out and they are getting their selfies for the 'Gram they want.

For me it's about getting out and seeing a place few people have. Yes I will photograph it, NO I won't share the location of said places. That's my choice. In BC along with most of western Canada we suffer from a mountain of what I call City Trucks. 4 wheel drive full-size trucks riding on KO2s with factory lift kits. 95% will never see a dirt road. More than 70% will never be used as a truck but rather as a mall queen/grocery getter. My old Volvo wagon has done more "work" related work, and seen a ton more of the back country than these trucks - why? Because I believe the best vehicle to use for overlanding is the one you have on hand. Different strokes for different folks.

We have all seen those "Van Life" folks - they travel the globe, work from on the road, post photos and videos making life seem grand and beautiful. But we also know the reality - their vans break down, they have to do Go Fund campaigns to repair their rigs, life happens. But to people stuck at a crappy 9-5 job with maybe only two weeks off a year, those people are living the dream. It's an illusion that they sell - and corporations pay to have these people promote their products - that's just life and business. The RV lifestyle is no easier than the "owning a home" - things need replacing, things don't work as advertised, stuff breaks. It's a choice.

On the otherside of the coin, I have two good friends who headed off from Victoria heading to the bottom tip of South America on motorbikes. They are three months into the trip. Things have broken. Things have been stolen. They also made a choice to walk away from a business and she quit her job. They gave up a home and have a piece of land with a tiny home on it for when they get back - they also spent ten years saving and planning for the trip. (their YouTube Channel for those interested - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4kuzSSgKDIDrgAElMS0zw )

I love reading about and seeing everyone's Build threads. I also sincerely love trip stories where people are there in everyday rigs. I love that when I run into others in the back country who share my passion we can enjoy a meal together, swap stories, share wisdom and then we each go on our way. I love that there are people out documenting their trips with drones, cell phones and the rest. I would rather spend an evening watching their videos on You Tube than watching TV. I also enjoying reading build threads for people who create rock crawlers and such - no that will never be my rig but I can appreciate it. I enjoy watching how people who do the Van Life thing come up with home-made/DIY solutions.

I have been wanting to drive down to Chili for most of my adult life. I'd love to drive across Russia one day. Who knows if either will happen and if they do what I will drive for said adventures. For myself Overlanding is about being self-reliant. It's about taking the road less traveled.

So do I dislike that companies produce turn-key solutions - nope. Not everyone can spin wrench.

I believe those of us into this hobby/lifestyle can have a positive impact on the world - we interact with different cultures, we showcase the beauty that is planet Earth, we raise awareness about the environment. Those are all good things in my books.

We should sit down for a coffee some day :)

Reactions: SFP

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I voted yes, but then it's also no...
Sure there's a certain level of fad to "overlanding". Lots of over built rigs wheeling speed bumps at malls, and never seeing the light of dirt. But then that's not a bad thing. Chasing the fad supports a market, and the economy, helps develop more useful versions of things, and eventually supports the used markets for those with tight budgets.
The down side to it all is the crowding of remote areas. People who don't know better, or don't care filling up areas and trashing the rare pristine places we like to hide.

For me, I'm a weekend warrior at best, running off as far as I can as the schedules and obligations allow. I take pride in the fact that my entire setup cost less than a lot of people's lift, wheels and tires.

I don't mind the fad, for the most part, as long as people are also being responsible while they're exploring... if they explore at all.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
There’s many millions in North America who, if they stay in a job for 30-40 years (not as common as >40ya), cannot take a respectable real vacation for literally the best years of their lives. You only live once.
That’s a choice many make- and the ability to delay pleasure- financial maturity, allows to to take all the vacation you want.

ThePartyWagon

I'm a little late to the thread here but as someone who works in the overland industry, I love making fun of ourselves. I call the modern overland trend the "2020s version of the early 2000s Fast and the Furious tuner fad". Everyone wanted a Honda, Acura, Supra, RX7 and now everyone wants a Tacoma, 4Runner or Jeep. They will put nonsensical amounts of money into these vehicles and, some will use them and some will sell them in 5-10 years with little to no use. Either way, it's fun building vehicles and not everyone is interested in the travel component and that's OK. Look at ExPo classifieds, there are endless listings for $70K+ vehicles, the mass influx of high dollar vehicles for sale is already beginning.

Modern car culture, especially online, is pretty toxic at this point, it's all weiner measuring based on who spent the most on their stuff.

I love driving my modest little XJ around Moab with open diffs and 31s and the guys with $90K Rubicons are asking me what I'm doing "out here". What I'm doing is not fooling myself into thinking I need 37s and lockers to drive Shafer Trail or Fins and Things. BUT, those folks are still out there on the trail, using their gear so who am I to say they're doing it wrong. The industry pushes a lot of unnecessary expensive gear because people will eat it up. I also recognize, those same folks pay my bills and keep our doors open.

I tell folks in our shop to not let themselves be fooled by influencers, instagram and youtubers. You can buy a stock 4Runner, put some good tires on it and explore the world. 4x4 vehicles are more capable than ever before, you don't need a $60K vehicle and you don't need to put $40K into it in the first month you own it to go camping.

Love the thread, love the perspectives. Very interesting thread.

Last edited:

LionZoo

Observer
I'm a little late to the thread here but as someone who works in the overland industry, I love making fun of ourselves. I call the modern overland trend the "2020s version of the early 2000s Fast and the Furious tuner fad".

I started observing a few years ago that the people getting into overlanding were the exact same people that were modding Hondas in the early 2000s (i.e., my generation). They just grew up, now have families and kids, and some more money, but still want to do this car hobby thing, but in a manner that they can share with the rest of the family.

Of course, that means the attendant attitude is the same. Some are really into it and technical, but a lot are just going through a checklist of must have mods so they can hang out with the rest of their buddies in parking lots. And hanging out in parking lots, that's somehow a big deal with the "overlanding" crowd now as well! So many "overlanding" meets at coffee shops (a bit more of an adult acceptable venue compared to boba shops)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles