The Space Tractor: Project '89 Delica

Saguache

Adventurer
Yes, they're aftermarket. They're American Racing AR23 in black; 15x7.

Delica-Wheels.jpg
Thanks that's just hawt! Six lugs with the star pattern. The black on black ummmmm

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Saguache

Adventurer
Heyya thirty-nine,

What are you using for a jack on the tractor? Mine did not come with one, plus I'm probably going to need to find one that extends a couple of extra inches after I put the new rubber on.

TIA,

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Heyya thirty-nine,

What are you using for a jack on the tractor? Mine did not come with one, plus I'm probably going to need to find one that extends a couple of extra inches after I put the new rubber on.

TIA,

That is a very good question. One that I have not even thought about. I know mine has the factory jack. I should probably check that out! (Thanks for bringing that to my attention)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Space-Tractor-in-Field.jpg

Installed some Yakima Round Bars and fairing last week. Possibly put a basket on back, solar up front. Not sure yet.

In addition, we got to use 4WD this week and it worked great. The Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015s also did well, even in the mud. We didn't do anything hardcore, but we did slurp around in the mud a bit.

Next up is to replace belts and do some flushes, etc.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Delica-Fort-Rock.jpg

Took the Space Tractor out on its maiden camping voyage a couple weeks ago. Went to Fort Rock, OR area. Got down to about 10 F. It did start with some protest in the morning. Albeit, a smokey protest.

Also got our ARB aluminum 2500 awning installed on our crossbars using Bomber Products' awning mounts.

Delica-Cover.jpg

Also took the rig out into the Christmas Valley Sand Dunes. I was really impressed. I thought it'd sink like a rock, but low and behold, it did great. Very impressed with the Yokoahama Geolandar G015 tires.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
While I would normally do all of the maintenance on the vehicle, I dropped it off yesterday to get some stuff done since I just don't have the time right now:

• All belts replaced
• New fuel filter
• New thermostat
• Adjust sticky clutch

It'll be interesting to see if the new fuel filter helps with my smokey, rough cold-morning starts.

Saguache

Adventurer
While I would normally do all of the maintenance on the vehicle, I dropped it off yesterday to get some stuff done since I just don't have the time right now:

• All belts replaced
• New fuel filter
• New thermostat
• Adjust sticky clutch

It'll be interesting to see if the new fuel filter helps with my smokey, rough cold-morning starts.
Me too, hoping for the best

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jfarsang

Adventurer
If you'd like to know about mods and stuff, I've gone through every flavor of Delica and suspension/fab mods in the past 15 years. delica.ca is a great resource. I'm jfarsang (jessef) there too. Happy to share with what I've gotten to know about these vans.

4269c76997887eab77bd10a0f9c75ed5--offroad-rvs.jpg

3533633921_c9921b75f9_b.jpg

3526830263_238d3e4d8f_b.jpg

jfarsang

Adventurer
what would you like to know ?

Took some 3/8 cold rolled steel and had a press shop bend the two 90 degree angles. From there we cut and shaped the sides to match the delica body panel. cut and inserted vertical bracing for the tow hooks and small plates to reinforce the swing arms. I'm not sure where I got the swing arm/bushings. It was a 4x4 shop in OR. This was about 8 years ago. McMaster for the latches/hardware. It did add some weight to the rear end so I tossed in an extra leaf which made it ride stock but with the carrier and 2" lift. I've got 31" MTR's on there in the pics. We thought to build them and sell them as the delica's popularity soared in BC but it wasn't cost/time effective. We ended up building three total. Sold 2 and I kept the prototype for myself on Turtle (pop top).

3526830253_6a6ff6af8a_b.jpg

3508584711_b4baf238cd_b.jpg

3533633967_8c9518d568_b.jpg

3533633935_ea2fa99d69_b.jpg

3533633939_ec052a8361_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles