The "SoCal" Crew Thread

Red1

HERO
https://www.facebook.com/events/361336017617249/?acontext={"action_history":"

My buddy Jeff with www.jWayneMedia.com ~^~ has a Facebook photo shoot at the Salton Sea . . .

Salton-Sea-Bombay-Beach-sign.jpg

DONT_TREAD

Observer
I got my montero back from Chai and man is it better. Runs way smoother than I ever thought it could. Got it back fast also. Happy to be on the trails again

DSouth

Observer
Anybody have a recommendation for a good Mitsubishi mechanic in Orange County area? I wanted to see how much a timing belt job would run me, as I'm not sure I'll have time to do it myself.

jmoji

Anybody have a recommendation for a good Mitsubishi mechanic in Orange County area? I wanted to see how much a timing belt job would run me, as I'm not sure I'll have time to do it myself.

I am in the same boat. I am located in Ventura County and I am looking for a montero guru. I am willing to make a drive as long as its somewhere in SoCal.

bump and subscribed!

I would love to make it out to a meet as soon as I can get my gen 2.5 running smooth.

DSouth

Observer
I am in the same boat. I am located in Ventura County and I am looking for a montero guru. I am willing to make a drive as long as its somewhere in SoCal.

bump and subscribed!

I would love to make it out to a meet as soon as I can get my gen 2.5 running smooth.

I know earlier in the thread there is a place in Van Nuys that lots of folks recommend. That's a bit too far for me, but maybe workable for you in Ventura?

Last edited:

jmoji

Thanks for the info DSouth! I just bookmarked him on yelp and will be giving him a call shortly. :wings: He is less than 50 miles away from me so this is perfect.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had Rose Auto quote me $1,200, so I did it myself, sorta. First time I had SoCal Monty help me, second time I had TyTy help me, third time I did it myself, and it sucked. It is not easy. It's not terribly hard either, assuming it all goes smoothly, and you can reach everything. Seems like it was always 100 degrees out each time I had to do it. Problem areas for me were crankshaft gear locator pin (got smushed into the gear), reaching the bolts for the AC compressor to remove it, and then re-installing the AC compressor completely kicked my booty until Ty came by to help with that one again. Removing the fan sucks, but I got a nice LONG 10mm wrench for that now. Removing the radiator is easy, but messy and generally a PIA. Getting the belt lined up on the timing marks wasn't too hard, once you learn how to turn the crank properly to set the cam marks (can NOT use a ratchet!)

Special tools needed:
- Long nose 90 degree angle Linesman pliers are AMAZING at getting off clamps (cheap, buy them, you'll love them forever)
- Special tool to break free the crankshaft pulley (maybe borrow one from TyTy or someone else - or make your own)
- Special tool to reinstall and tighten the internal pully's (I have one. It's $10 on Amazon)
- Really long 10mm wrench for the fan nuts. Not necessary, but really, really nice to have. (I used these)
- Really long socket extensions, and universals to get the angle right (Amazon again)
(these are essential for reaching the AC pump bolts through the side fender well)
- Radiator refiller funnel thing (like this) - can be borrowed from AutoZone or places like that

I am quite willing to help if you want to do it on your own, but I do not guaranty anything other than an earnest effort :)

Update: You can get the whole kit including water pump from PepBoys for $150, or you can source OEM parts and spend about $500. You can get an OEM (Asin) water pump from RockAuto pretty inexpensively, but the OEM belt tensioner is really, REALLY expensive on its own, like $150 from the dealer. However, all "the guys" here in the Montero section swear up, down, and sideways that if you don't go OEM, it will fail and cost you an engine. The updated Crankshaft bolt and washer is pretty commonly available on eBay and is listed in the Parts thread.

Last edited:
I will be bringing mine into Miyaki Motosports in City of Industry. The owner Ryan has a Montero of his own and they seem to do good work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles