The Sierra Challenge 2017

howirolla

Campfire Passport
so I have a fridge AND a roof tent
monty-python-run-away-o.gif

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Sierra Challenge will be geared for newcomers, we are starting out with an "easy" trail to build the confidence of the group and increasing the difficulty with each trail. Stock Montero in good mechanical condition with quality tires are good for trail #1, trail #2 is undecided but 33's, sliders and at least 1 traction aid are required for the Rubicon (trail #3) and I suggest bumpers and balls for trail #4 Fordyce creek.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Don't you mean "Ballz," Toasty? Note to outsiders, when you buy or get work done from Toasty, that word WILL appear "somewhere" on your vehicle. You might not find it at first, but it's there, trust me.

That reminds me of a tale. I tend to fall asleep first on many adventures. One time we had an outing where we camped out near Gila Bend, AZ in the mean sands of the Sonoran Desert and it didn't take me long after that to notice my 95 had developed a clanking sound from underneath. Thinking it was just some loose sheet metal like a skid plate, I ignored it. Months later, while I was underneath for some unrelated work, I saw a small, shiny, orange cowbell that had been zip-tied to something and had been clanging away for that whole time. I still need to pay somebody back for that, you know, because it was so funny.

John B.

snare

Adventurer
Sierra Challenge will be geared for newcomers, we are starting out with an "easy" trail to build the confidence of the group and increasing the difficulty with each trail. Stock Montero in good mechanical condition with quality tires are good for trail #1, trail #2 is undecided but 33's, sliders and at least 1 traction aid are required for the Rubicon (trail #3) and I suggest bumpers and balls for trail #4 Fordyce creek.

I should have 33s, sliders (and an ADD front bumper) by then at least. My 98 already has a rear locker.

Toasty

Don't you mean "Ballz," Toasty? Note to outsiders, when you buy or get work done from Toasty, that word WILL appear "somewhere" on your vehicle. You might not find it at first, but it's there, trust me.

That reminds me of a tale. I tend to fall asleep first on many adventures. One time we had an outing where we camped out near Gila Bend, AZ in the mean sands of the Sonoran Desert and it didn't take me long after that to notice my 95 had developed a clanking sound from underneath. Thinking it was just some loose sheet metal like a skid plate, I ignored it. Months later, while I was underneath for some unrelated work, I saw a small, shiny, orange cowbell that had been zip-tied to something and had been clanging away for that whole time. I still need to pay somebody back for that, you know, because it was so funny.

John B.

Yeah, good times. You should have been there when we shrink wrapped Lloyd's truck shut at his hotel, classic.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Sierra Challenge will be geared for newcomers, we are starting out with an "easy" trail to build the confidence of the group and increasing the difficulty with each trail.

Trail 1 - Stock Montero in good mechanical condition with quality tires

Trail 2 - undecided but at least 33's

Trail 3 - (Rubicon) sliders and at least 1 traction aid are required

Trail 4 - (Fordyce) bumpers and balls

Tiered approach is great, I've yet to participate in the Sierra Challenge and intend to at least take part in the first half of this. The trip takes 2 weeks, right? Better get all those requests for vacation in soon. :)

Toasty

Tiered approach is great, I've yet to participate in the Sierra Challenge and intend to at least take part in the first half of this. The trip takes 2 weeks, right? Better get all those requests for vacation in soon. :)

10 days including the road trip, your truck will make the entire challenge far less of a challenge.

We should be moved by May, so I think we can make it alright. However kids go back to school around the same time at the new school it seems. Guessing August 14th first day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles