The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

Goldfinch

Because that's what I had in front of me to drive on in North America.

Obviously I won't be going that fast and things will be very different.
I'll calculate it when the conditions better match what I'm expecting!

No, unfortunately they don't make one and I ran out of time to try and make something. I hope it will be OK...

Thanks for all the input and ideas!

-Dan

Your adventure sounds exciting and I would have liked to be in your shoes three decades ago. That said, the world has changed for the worse in that time. I am glad you have chosen to not let that impede your curiosity, but:

1. What plans do you have in place if/when you encounter ebola? I assume you will be taking the recommended precautions for immunizations, but as there is none for ebola....what will you do? What precautions can you take to alleviate your risk?

2. Are you prepared to offer effective resistance if/when encountering aggression/robbery/assault? Multiple attackers?

3. Have you thought to bring along a dog for seucity/companionship? What security measures do you envision, considering you are traveling alone?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Frank

Explorer
Question for you, Dan-

I've read most of your blog and this forum, where you have posted a great deal of super awesome information, but what would you different to this point? Would you have scrapped the entire engine swap idea? Maybe done something different with your storage? Feel you might have missed something along the way? It's great to learn from those who have 'done it' but we often don't hear about the 'I wish I would have' thoughts.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'll definitely be following along on here and I've subbed on youtube as well. Sounds like an awesome trip :)

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Question for you, Dan-

I've read most of your blog and this forum, where you have posted a great deal of super awesome information, but what would you different to this point? Would you have scrapped the entire engine swap idea? Maybe done something different with your storage? Feel you might have missed something along the way? It's great to learn from those who have 'done it' but we often don't hear about the 'I wish I would have' thoughts.

In hindsight the engine swap was a bad idea, but I don't regret trying. I was hell-bent on it, and if I had not tried it I would be sitting here right now saying "I wish....".

Now that I tried (and failed) and least I can sit here and say "well, I know how that goes..". Obviously it was a huge money put, but you live and learn.

I'm still getting used to the Jeep and living in it, so tons of little things are being moved, modified or otherwise honed for daily use.

Already I can tell it's too heavy. If I could change one thing, it would shed 500-1000 lbs.
How to do that, I have no idea.

I will for sure post a lot more details along these lines when I've lived with it for many months and a few tens of thousands of miles.

-Dan

beartrap

Adventurer
somehow I missed the "engine swap" segment...where can I find it?.....and I'm looking forward to following you on your trip......hope you have safe travels....

found engine info on you tube video......glad you are able to continue....

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
12,000 miles through the USA, Canada, Belgium, France and Spain has been an amazing preamble. Now it's time for AFRICA.

Ferry tickets in hand :)

dan-grec-africa-bound-720x480.jpg

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles