The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

Marine

Adventurer
Congrats Dan, been following along. Spent some time in Africa way back in the 90's. Mostly Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Beautiful continent. Safe travels to you

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: http://theroadchoseme.com/africa-ends

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan

SVTRIT

Did you think about staying one more day to make it an even 1000?

I started following you a year or so ago, and have appreciated all you shared with us. Africa is on my places to visit (not sure where in Africa yet, but somewhere), and your trip is one of the reasons why.

Good luck on re-inserting into normal life, and we look forward to the next adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cj-10

Congrats Dan I have followed from the begining and always look forward to your updates. I liked living vicariously through you a couple times a week. I came across your adventure when you were trying to do the mercedes diesel swap. I cannot wait for your next adventure to follow

I've spent many mornings in my camper with my hot mug of coffee following your travels & adventures around Africa. It's been great and I too wanted to thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share with all of us.....

billiebob

Hi Dan, congratulations on an epic adventure. I never noticed any reference to needing more than English, curious do you speak other languages or are there any other languages which might make the trip easier?

Thanks for 3 years of excitement and anticipation.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Dan, congratulations on an epic adventure. I never noticed any reference to needing more than English, curious do you speak other languages or are there any other languages which might make the trip easier?

Thanks for 3 years of excitement and anticipation.

Thanks!
I learned French on the West Coast (many, many countries speak it), and my Spanish worked well in the few Portuguese countries.
I learned very basic Swahili in East Africa which is good in about 6 countries, and a couple of words in a handful of other languages just to make people smile (Hello, Please, Thankyou).
English will get you a long way, a smile and pointing gets you a lot too ! :)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: http://theroadchoseme.com/touring-overland-shows-in-2019

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!
With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life – the parts of Africa that I will never forget.
The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
Awesome adventure Dan! What's next after the tours, change it up to the colder climates and hit up Central Asia & Siberia?

Both my fiancee and I look forward to reading your new book as well :D
Have you thought about releasing in hard cover?

JR007

I really enjoyed following your adventure. Way to go. What’s up next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words everyone - it really means a lot to me.

I have dreams and plans for future, and a few irons in the fire, but nothing is locked in yet.
More adventures, just exactly what kind I'm not sure yet!

Both my fiancee and I look forward to reading your new book as well :D
Have you thought about releasing in hard cover?

The costs skyrocket, so I wanted to get this version out now, and a hardcover (and digital) version are something I will look into when I get some downtime (ha!).
I expect the hardcover will be expensive though, so I need to figure out how best to do it.

Cheers,
-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste