The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Dan,

I think its safe to say that you are an inspiration for us and all and I will treat your blog as one of the most important resources when I travel down the spine of Africa in 2021-22. Have their been any issues with not having a carnet so far? Are you able to get into Egypt without one now? From wikioverland it how's that Egypt and shipping into/ or out of South Africa are the only times a carnet is required in Africa but I am hoping that there are work-arounds.

Thanks for the kind words!
I need to keep updating WikiOverland with the details from every country, which I promise to do soon (ish).
You are right, shipping into or out of South Africa makes a Carnet mandatory.
For Egypt, I have found a way to get one from a local fixer there who will meet me at the border with it.
I will write plenty about the whole process when the time comes for sure!

I looked at your route map - the Sinai is very tricky right now, Egypt don't want to let foreigners drive across into Isreal or Jordon. I really want to, but everyone is telling me they'll turn me back. Lots of people take a ferry from Port Sudan into Saudi Arabia (the 3 day transit visa is not hard to get in Sudan), then from there you drive into UAE and catch another ferry to Iran then you're good to go.
But I think both Saudi and Iran a Carnet is mandatory.....

-Dan

Thanks for the kind words!
I need to keep updating WikiOverland with the details from every country, which I promise to do soon (ish).
You are right, shipping into or out of South Africa makes a Carnet mandatory.
For Egypt, I have found a way to get one from a local fixer there who will meet me at the border with it.
I will write plenty about the whole process when the time comes for sure!

I looked at your route map - the Sinai is very tricky right now, Egypt don't want to let foreigners drive across into Isreal or Jordon. I really want to, but everyone is telling me they'll turn me back. Lots of people take a ferry from Port Sudan into Saudi Arabia (the 3 day transit visa is not hard to get in Sudan), then from there you drive into UAE and catch another ferry to Iran then you're good to go.
But I think both Saudi and Iran a Carnet is mandatory.....

-Dan
Thanks for the confirmation of your plans for Egypt, I am curious to see how everything goes!

As far as the Sinai goes it seems to be on and off whether or not you are allowed to cross. If this option is not available we will likely just container ship into Alexandria from some place in Europe (if not ferry service is resumed). What is your plan after Egypt?
-GrandiOdyssey

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the confirmation of your plans for Egypt, I am curious to see how everything goes!

As far as the Sinai goes it seems to be on and off whether or not you are allowed to cross. If this option is not available we will likely just container ship into Alexandria from some place in Europe (if not ferry service is resumed). What is your plan after Egypt?
-GrandiOdyssey

Egypt will be the end of the road for this expedition.
I'll load the Jeep into a container in Alexandria and ship back to North America.

-Dan

SVTRIT

Egypt will be the end of the road for this expedition.
I'll load the Jeep into a container in Alexandria and ship back to North America.

-Dan

I’m glad you are planning on bringing it home. It needs to be on display at some speaking engagements where we all can enjoy it! Plus, more adventures can be had with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

84Undecided

Ethiopia sounded a bit sketchy. I can't imagine the uneasiness you must have felt. Glad you are doing well in Sudan. I have really enjoyed following along.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/ethiopia-ends-into-sudan

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: http://theroadchoseme.com/to-khartoum

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I can't believe it either. I just clicked on the first post in this thread from way back in May 2016! I loved this quote...

"I've been saving and dreaming for those years of my next adventure. Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I've modified with a lot of extras so I can live in it for 2 years."

Let me see... May 2016 to April 2019... 3 full years!

Thanks for taking us all along for the ride with you. Its been a pleasure to watch your vids and follow your adventures. Onwards to Egypt!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I can't believe it either. I just clicked on the first post in this thread from way back in May 2016! I loved this quote...

"I've been saving and dreaming for those years of my next adventure. Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I've modified with a lot of extras so I can live in it for 2 years."

Let me see... May 2016 to April 2019... 3 full years!

Thanks for taking us all along for the ride with you. Its been a pleasure to watch your vids and follow your adventures. Onwards to Egypt!

Thanks for the kind words.

In person I keep telling people "Yeah, it kind of got out of hand...in the best possible way!"

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.
sudan-temple-jeep-720x480.jpg

jeep-camping-dunes-720x480.jpg

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-egypt

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Congratulations for getting into Egypt. It was by far the most challenging border crossing ever for me too...It took days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste