The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

SVTRIT

If you are driving through Iowa, stop and say hello. Sorry I can’t make one of the events. Your Ethiopia video was great to watch and reminded me how much I enjoyed your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

The number one question I get asked after driving the length of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Argentina and all the way around Africa is how much does it all cost.
In this video I get right down to it, and give actual numbers not just from my experience, but also from other overlanders out there really doing it.

I've transitioned to YouTube, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know to get out there on your own global expedition.
I know money is a hot topic, so In the coming months I'll be posting a ton more videos about it - how to save, how to earn money on the road, how to get sponsors, how to get published, etc. etc.

-Dan

ITTOG

Hi All,

The number one question I get asked after driving the length of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Argentina and all the way around Africa is how much does it all cost.
In this video I get right down to it, and give actual numbers not just from my experience, but also from other overlanders out there really doing it.

I've transitioned to YouTube, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know to get out there on your own global expedition.
I know money is a hot topic, so In the coming months I'll be posting a ton more videos about it - how to save, how to earn money on the road, how to get sponsors, how to get published, etc. etc.

-Dan
Does that mean you will no longer be updating this thread with your videos?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Does that mean you will no longer be updating this thread with your videos?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Given the Africa expedition is finished, and I'm working towards a new one, I won't keep updating this thread, no.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get the latest videos, and I post my day-to-day updates on Instagram.

Cheers,
-Dan

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx for sharing these epic adventures with us. I’ll look forward to your further youtube channel updates.

One question, so is there any place I can go to see how you did this?
”and a modified pop-up roof so I can stand up and walk around in the entire rear of the Jeep.”

Thx. I couldn’t find any pictures of this on this thread.

tdferrero

Thx for sharing these epic adventures with us. I’ll look forward to your further youtube channel updates.

One question, so is there any place I can go to see how you did this?
”and a modified pop-up roof so I can stand up and walk around in the entire rear of the Jeep.”

Thx. I couldn’t find any pictures of this on this thread.
Click the first link in his signature.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

After a huge amount of work I'm proud to announce I've published my second major book, documenting my entire expedition around Africa.

'The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles around Africa' is available now in paperback and eBook format.

Amazon (Paperback and eBook): https://amzn.to/3pnVKu6
Apple Books (eBook): https://apple.co/34GYBXd

the-road-chose-me-volume-2-cover.jpg

This book documents my entire three year African expedition from start to finish. It covers the preparation, the adventures, the characters I met, the misadventures, the logistics, touches on politics and my loneliness and so, so much more.
At 375 pages it’s 50% bigger than my first book, and it has been an enormous amount of work to bring this to life!

INTRODUCTION
(From the book)

Bumping along a gravel road in Guatemala with my friend Kate I clearly remember discussing overland travel and what it might mean for my life. Two continuous years exploring foreign countries was substantially bigger than anything I had attempted before. To be perfectly honest, I still wasn’t sure it was for me.

“There are really only two options,” I said.
“Either this Alaska to Argentina drive satisfies my urge and I’ll never do this kind of thing again, or I’ll be addicted for life.”

The fact this book exists tells you which way that went.

When I set out to drive from Alaska to Argentina I didn’t know what to expect. I knew almost nothing about border crossings, bribery or if I could learn another language. My plan was to go until I didn’t enjoy it any more, then do something else with my life. This meant I didn’t feel any pressure. If my little Jeep got stolen or destroyed I could simply walk away. I hadn’t made any promises, and virtually nobody outside my family knew of The Road Chose Me.

The Africa expedition was very different from the start. I began planning and dreaming fully aware of what I was getting into. I knew how disciplined I would have to be while saving money, and how difficult it would be to leave my comfortable life behind. I knew the depths of loneliness that were in front of me, and how hard it would be to push through my fears and doubts. To put it simply, I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for – or at least I thought I did.

I again quit my job and sold everything I wasn’t taking, and I promised a lot of people I would complete the lap around Africa. Once I committed, I was all in. There would be no turning back or stopping early this time. I knew an expedition all the way around Africa would be an enormous adventure, and it turned out to be a thousand times more than even I dreamed possible.

Africa and her people taught me so much and I feel a great responsibility to do their story justice. After three months I thought I knew everything. Then after twelve months I realized that was all garbage and I had a new perspective. This learning process was continuous as I tried to keep my eyes and ears open to the world I was experiencing.

Like volume one, this book contains more than just tales of adventure, but also the lifelong lessons I will never forget. Fair warning, some lessons are controversial and will be difficult for readers in the developed world. I learned volumes about how the world views and treats Africa, making it impossible not to touch on politics. To be perfectly honest, most of what I learned makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you will keep an open mind as you make this journey of discovery with me.

Throughout the expedition the endless kindness and warmth of the African people was a constant. Without their love and encouragement my dream wouldn’t have been possible.

So much is outside my control while on these expeditions I often feel as if I’m on a roller coaster, taking the unexpected twists and turns as they come. All I can do is plant a smile on my face, hold on and enjoy the ride. So strap yourself in as we embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

-Dan

Also available, as a companion to the written account of the journey is a 75 page full color photography book from the expedition.
In this book I have a double-page spread from each of the 35 countries I visited, showing the stunning landscapes, wildlife, people and wild places I visited.

'999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose me' is available as a full-color photography book:

Amazon (printed color book): https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

999 days compilation.jpg

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Hi Everyone,

After a huge amount of work I'm proud to announce I've published my second major book, documenting my entire expedition around Africa.

'The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles around Africa' is available now in paperback and eBook format.

View attachment 634056

This book documents my entire three year African expedition from start to finish. It covers the preparation, the adventures, the characters I met, the misadventures, the logistics, touches on politics and my loneliness and so, so much more.
At 375 pages it’s 50% bigger than my first book, and it has been an enormous amount of work to bring this to life!

INTRODUCTION
(From the book)

Bumping along a gravel road in Guatemala with my friend Kate I clearly remember discussing overland travel and what it might mean for my life. Two continuous years exploring foreign countries was substantially bigger than anything I had attempted before. To be perfectly honest, I still wasn’t sure it was for me.

“Either this Alaska to Argentina drive satisfies my urge and I’ll never do this kind of thing again, or I’ll be addicted for life.”

When I set out to drive from Alaska to Argentina I didn’t know what to expect. I knew almost nothing about border crossings, bribery or if I could learn another language. My plan was to go until I didn’t enjoy it any more, then do something else with my life. This meant I didn’t feel any pressure. If my little Jeep got stolen or destroyed I could simply walk away. I hadn’t made any promises, and virtually nobody outside my family knew of The Road Chose Me.

The Africa expedition was very different from the start. I began planning and dreaming fully aware of what I was getting into. I knew how disciplined I would have to be while saving money, and how difficult it would be to leave my comfortable life behind. I knew the depths of loneliness that were in front of me, and how hard it would be to push through my fears and doubts. To put it simply, I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for – or at least I thought I did.

I again quit my job and sold everything I wasn’t taking, and I promised a lot of people I would complete the lap around Africa. Once I committed, I was all in. There would be no turning back or stopping early this time. I knew an expedition all the way around Africa would be an enormous adventure, and it turned out to be a thousand times more than even I dreamed possible.

Africa and her people taught me so much and I feel a great responsibility to do their story justice. After three months I thought I knew everything. Then after twelve months I realized that was all garbage and I had a new perspective. This learning process was continuous as I tried to keep my eyes and ears open to the world I was experiencing.

Like volume one, this book contains more than just tales of adventure, but also the lifelong lessons I will never forget. Fair warning, some lessons are controversial and will be difficult for readers in the developed world. I learned volumes about how the world views and treats Africa, making it impossible not to touch on politics. To be perfectly honest, most of what I learned makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you will keep an open mind as you make this journey of discovery with me.

Throughout the expedition the endless kindness and warmth of the African people was a constant. Without their love and encouragement my dream wouldn’t have been possible.

So much is outside my control while on these expeditions I often feel as if I’m on a roller coaster, taking the unexpected twists and turns as they come. All I can do is plant a smile on my face, hold on and enjoy the ride. So strap yourself in as we embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

-Dan

Also available, as a companion to the written account of the journey is a 75 page full color photography book from the expedition.
In this book I have a double-page spread from each of the 35 countries I visited, showing the stunning landscapes, wildlife, people and wild places I visited.

'999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose me' is available as a full-color photography book:

View attachment 634057
Congrats on the book!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

billiebob

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 634056

INTRODUCTION
(From the book)

-Dan

View attachment 634057
The Trilogy just arrived,
Volume 1, 2 and the coffee table picture book.

Many thanks Dan, can'r wait to start reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste