The Right Toyota for Alaska with a Camper and a Toddler

Molson

TL/DR: Would you go to Alaska in a Sequoia towing a camper, or get a truck?

New member but longtime forum lurker looking for some advice on an upcoming adventure. Every 4 years, I get a 6 week paid sabbatical from work to do anything I like. My first one is planned for summer 2021, and we've decided on a 6 week road trip from home base in Denver to Alaska. We'll be hitting up Denali NP, the Kenai Penninsula, and various stops along the way. It'll be my wife, our daughter (2.5 years old by the time we leave), and me in a 19' Rockwood Geopro camper (~3,800 lbs fully loaded). The plan is to use the camper as a base camp for various short adventures and trips, so doing some decent off roading and overlanding without the trailer is an option. About 2 years ago, we bought a 2017 Sequoia, trading in a beloved 2012 Xterra Pro4X so that we could tow a family size camper and still have decent off road capability. Now that the trip is coming up, however, I'm starting to doubt the Sequoia as being up for it. It's an amazing tow vehicle for the camper, reliable and super comfortable. But for a few reasons, I'm not sure how well it will work.

First of all, it's got about 90k miles and will need several grand worth of work before the trip (new tires, new brakes, new shocks, and new fluids at a minimum). Additionally, we'll be off-grid for much of the trip. So, we'll either need to carry a generator in the Sequoia or upgrade the solar and batteries on the camper (another $2k). We will also have to carry a substantial amount of gas on the roof rack (effective range is only about 120-150 miles towing the camper). Finally, I just know that every time we have to pass up an opporunity to explore up a rough road because we're in a stock Sequoia, I'll be bummed. We wouldn't attempt anything hardcore in the middle of nowhere Alaska with a Toddler, but it'd be nice to have some basic capability and underbody protection. So that leads us to thinking we should consider an upgrade. Further complicating things, the dealer that sold us the Sequoia 45k miles ago is willing to give us nearly what we paid for it on trade if we do something this month, making it really tempting to trade it in. So, here are the options--I'd love some opinions from those that have been there a done that!

1. Keep it Cheap and just go with the flow. Basic upgrades and maintenance on the Sequoia so it can safely complete the trip. Carry extra gas and a small generator on our roof rack and call it a day. Or pay the $2k to upgrade the solar setup an leave the generator at home. It's the cheapest way to go, but it'll limit our options for adventure on the trip.
2. Invest in the Sequoia. The aftermarket is pretty limited, but there seem to be some decent options for spacer lifts, bigger tires and TRD skid plates. Should we try and turn the Sequoia into an overlander? Or would it be throwing good money after bad, and end up getting minimal gains for big money?
3. Upgrade to a truck. The dealer has a pretty slick 2018 Tundra TRD Off Road with only 25k miles for $42k. Not cheap, but we can afford it if it's worth it. We'd save several grand in work on the Sequoia by trading it. We'd get a ton of convenience from being able to throw the generator, firewood, gas, etc in the bed. And it's moderately more capable off road, with basic skid plates, solid rear axle, and great aftermarket support. This would probably be the most comfortable option, but is the big extra investment (~$16k after the trade) going to give a meaningful enough improvement to be worth the money? Are there less expensive full size trucks worth considering? Titan? Leftover 2020 F150?
4. Double down on an off-roader. Options are limited for something that can tow our camper and still be meaningfully better off road than the Sequoia or a Tundra. But the Lexus GX might work, and the wife LOVES it. It's smaller than a fullsize truck or the Sequoia, is capable enough towing, and has a lot of aftermarket options. But we'd be spending around $35k and not getting the additional usefulness of a truck bed. Is that really worth it?

I know "do whatever you want" is probably the right answer, but I'd love to hear from people experienced in these sorts of adventures about the relative tradeoffs when traveling through Alaska with a trailer. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20201017_111050.jpg
    20201017_111050.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • 20201124_091055.jpg
    20201124_091055.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Sequioa towing a travel trailer would be my choice. I'd leave the Sequioa stock and invest in maintaince and fluid changes and I'd stick the generator on the back bumper of the camper.

I bet that the overwhelming majority of the places that you end up going a bone stock 4x4 will do just fine. Spend your money on fuel, food, and fun... Not parts and farlke.

Also: my grandparents did Canada and Alaska in the 1980s in a bone stock 2wd camper van with zero issues.

SquirrelZ

Get The Milepost for trip planning and for use while driving. It's worth every penny since its great for planning and has lots of useful and interesting info for the drive up. It will help with fuel planning. It's typically about 400 miles or so between the major towns, which will have the best gas prices. And gas is unquestionably much more expensive as you get farther north. Expect to see $6-8 per gallon (er, 3.8 liters since Canada is on the metric system) in the Yukon. Althouh the Canadian dollars has been quite low compared to the US dollar so that will help to soften the blow.

The AK Highway (ALCAN) and all of the other major routes north are well maintained roads. Almost all of the AK Highway is paved. Take my word for it, a Prius does just fine on the ALCAN- been there, done that. Its pretty much just another road.

You just need a reliable vehicle. A 2017 Sequoia with 90K- sounds like its broken in nicely and ready for a few extra miles. I'd do the maintenance on that.

Make sure you have a spare tire for the trailer. And a couple of cans of Fix a Flat in case you do have a bit of bad luck and get a flat.

You didn't say where you're going to be doing the off road adventures. There aren't many such opportunities in AK due to the tundra and/or large rivers. Most off road adventures in AK involve ATV's.

You didn't say why you need the generator and/or solar. If you come up in the summer, it won't really get dark at night. Its not cold... chilly maybe, definitely not cold. Since you'll be driving a lot, I'd look at a means to get power from your alternator. Like a battery to battery charger. Between the generator and solar- I'd go solar unless you're running a heater or frig.

Think about your communications needs. There are lots of long stretches with out cell service. Look in to the costs of using data in Canada with your existing carrier. Some have decent plans, others take you to the cleaners. You might want to consider a satellite based comm device for peace of mind and limited messaging. You most certainly want to be in complete agreement with your wife on the comm plan.

icediver

Observer
Honestly, you can do most of what’s driveable in Alaska in a Subaru. Once you get “off road” you need something that’s ******** on the road. Be that a mud truck on 44+”tires or an atv, it’s not going to be a tow rig you drove up from Denver. So a well maintained sequoia with good tires would be perfect. If you want an excuse to upgrade (who doesn’t?) then by all means grab the tundra, but you certainly don’t need to.

I’ve done that drive a lot, in lots of different vehicles with similar fuel range and haven’t had a problem. Get the previously mentioned milepost, fuel up before you need it and you’ll be fine. Now, full disclaimer, this was all pre COVID. Last drive up was Jan of this year, in a Tacoma pulling a Uhaul with similar range. Currently, the border probably isn’t open to you, and I don’t know what gas stations are looking like in some of the smaller towns now a days, but I’d prob call ahead and check if I was about to leave on a trip.

38snubby

Since you said you wanted to do shocks anyway Dobinsons does a 1.75" or a 2.5" lift for your truck. Just shocks and springs. Easy-peasy. Exit off-road is a credible supplier as well. A nice upgrade over stock suspension for sure.

Molson

Wow everyone, as a new member I'm really thankful for all the quick responses! I definitely like the idea of that Dobinsons lift, some 33s, and basic underbody armor. Would make for a better experience on weekend trips throughout CO and UT as well.

Does anybody have thoughts on the capability of that setup vs. a stock TRD Off Road package Tundra with some upgraded ATs?

38snubby

Wow everyone, as a new member I'm really thankful for all the quick responses! I definitely like the idea of that Dobinsons lift, some 33s, and basic underbody armor. Would make for a better experience on weekend trips throughout CO and UT as well.

Does anybody have thoughts on the capability of that setup vs. a stock TRD Off Road package Tundra with some upgraded ATs?

The Dobinsons would be better. The TRD has Bilsteins and less robust springs than what is in that package. But if you go Tunda you have a lot of other suspension options available if you were to upgrade.

billiebob

wife, toddler..... a Sequoia with a trailer would be top of the list.

If you need a genset, it should be part of the trailer, period.
With wife and baby, you should not be going anywhere in Alaska beyond the Sequoias capabilities. 98% of your travels will be on paved highways... so pick the vehicle to do that well. And which works better, an SUV with a great spot for Mom and Tot to lies down? Or a pickup with a box to..... ??? Pickups are great if you carry lots of extras once base camp is setup but with a baby, how many extra activities will you be doing.

So much of Alaska is easily accessible in 2WD, any AWD SUV is plenty.

Last edited:
Sequoia is comfy for sure. But if you’re doing anything more difficult than gravel roads, I’d go with a Tundra for the solid rear axle and bed space. A crewmax would have more than enough interior space for a car seat and other gear, like a fridge. Lots of guys remove the passenger side rear seat and fit a fridge/freezer in its place.

The TRD Pro comes with Toyota-tuned Fox suspension. It sits 2” higher up front and has a bit more travel in the rear (due to the Fox shocks) than the other trim levels. If you’re towing though, it is more prone to squatting due to it being just about level. You could always add airbags and/or beefier shackles for relatively cheap.

REF

I say stick with the Sequoia, you’ve had it for long enough to know it and it’s maintenance records, just put on some good A/T tires and new shocks, or that kit. I’d recommend an upsize with Goodyear Duratrac’s. I put BFG AT’s on our ‘04 Sequoia when we had it, but think the Duratracs are a better tire, but that made a world of difference in driving it off the pavement. Like others have said, most things that are accessible are either paved or graded gravel roads, otherwise you’re looking at atv’s or something with tracks.
Talk to the guys at Slee Offroad in Golden, or my friend used Baker garage in Denver for his LC, I’ll have to ask him if he was happy with their work.
AK is amazing, done the drive twice and looking at going again next summer too, the journey up is equally memorable with so many stops along the way-Icefields parkway, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise....definitely make a point to stop and soak at Liard hot springs, one of the best! Top of the world highway through Dawson city, the journey up to Eagle and Chicken are worth bragging rights alone, not to mention the Dempster! Might be doing that ourselves this year(bring an extra spare!). Run Denali highway from the east if you can for never ending views, the Richardson is one of my favorites for the scenery and utter vastness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also say stick with the Sequoia. I have had pickups and there are pros and cons to both. We use the GX for tow rig and mild offroad. My trailer has flipped axle and able to make it into remote locations. The generator is mounted on a harbor freight rack that is attached to the back bumper with a receiver hitch I mounted. We keep a lot of items inside the GX locked up. My GX has a 2.5 inch OME lift with front receiver, I have a receiver mounted winch I carry in the back. Air compressor mounted under the hood. It has 165k plus miles and going strong. You can spend a few thousand on maintenance and upgrades and have a great rig.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpg
    IMG_4742.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

toastyjosh

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier