The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

Raul

Adventurer
Another weekend doing things I was not supposed to do. Got to Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area with the Toyotas In Texas Group. I place a couple of Toyota and Sienna badges so they thought had a minivan. Good people and good fun. With a lot of pushing, I was able to squeeze on a tight spot without any body damage.

257258201_4532753710111836_8435868113952895019_n.jpg

1637091241183.png

255420962_245908520938261_7174365371345179903_n.jpg

258097418_356679899549002_1851781281085666996_n (1).jpg

1637091704922.png
I manage to bend the Tie Rod against a rock, I noticed it when I got back to the road as my steering was all messed up. I wonder why Ford keep placing them so low. I pulled next to a big tree and with the winch and a snatch block I managed to correct it some.

1637091568449.png

1637091813711.png
1637091618905.png

I'm still quite happy with my 10K winch. Some may argue it is small for a van but with the van on 4x4, transmission in Park and with the parking brake, I had a hard time keeping the van in place. So far I've never needed to double up to self recover, but if I ever need, 10k x2 should do the job.

1637092033368.png

NeedsWork

Nice pics, Raul. I continue to be impressed by where you push that rig.

I hope this is not too off topic, but it seems like you built around your rear HVAC unit. Do you use it? Does it blow into the headliner and around the center cutout you made?

svo_jon

Nice pics! Looks like you had another rad trip! Looks like you have added some lights to your roof rack. How is the wood working out?

Jonathan

Raul

Adventurer
Nice pics, Raul. I continue to be impressed by where you push that rig.

I hope this is not too off topic, but it seems like you built around your rear HVAC unit. Do you use it? Does it blow into the headliner and around the center cutout you made?
I retained the rear AC. I live in Houston, any AC I can get I'll take it. I cut the roof Air duct to gain some headroom. The air now exits the opening straight out. From the driver seat I can feel air coming form the back. Lots of times I run low at front and max on the rear.
Nice pics! Looks like you had another rad trip! Looks like you have added some lights to your roof rack. How is the wood working out?

Jonathan
I LOVE IT!. I'll do it again. On a previous scape I hit some low branches and broke the front board that hold the lights. $8 later I replaced the broken board with a new one painted. Had I have a $2000 aluminum rack it would be still mangled up. For my needs works great, its low profile, light and cheap. It may not be "Instagram rated" but it does everything I need.

Raul

Adventurer
My daughter blew up the clutch on her 2006Audi A4. at 200k miles it's not worth fixing it. As the interior was in great shape, it would be a pity to let the front seat with full electric adjustment go to waist.
I'm swapping the driver/passenger sides so the controls are inside. Driver side was not too hard. I used part of an old rear seat frame to broad and lift the base. Passenger side with the swivel will be more challenging.
I've not driven it yet, but I'm pretty excited. Now also the rear seats match. I'll miss the arm rest.

IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
1638230020120.png

Raul

Adventurer
Looks nice. What are you going to do with the airbag?

Jonathan
Nothing. The connectors for the Airbags have a shorting clip that shorts the pins to prevent any static electricity to trigger igniter. As long as I do not cut the wires and keep a proper connector at the end, it should be fine.

Raul

Adventurer
Passenger side done. This things are very comfortable. Haven't done any long trip but short trips around town showed potential. Swivel works very well. The Audi buckle work with the seat belt so I left the passenger buckle, if I ever have the need to drive with he passenger facing back, he/she can still be buckled (some weird emergency).
Added bonus: they match quite well with the Tahoe rear seats.
I've found some universal armrest that I may be able to adapt. edit IMG_1903.jpgedit IMG_1908.jpgedit IMG_1909.jpgeditIMG_1905.jpg

Just read the entire build! Awesome job! Ive got 2014 E350 with only 45k miles on it that is a blank canvas. I plan to use mine for exploration and camping with the family as well. Huge fan of making it all work on a budget. Can you provide some materials list on what you built the roof platform with? I am wanting to replicate that, but all the racks Ive seen are mega $.

Thanks!

Raul

Adventurer
Just read the entire build! Awesome job! Ive got 2014 E350 with only 45k miles on it that is a blank canvas. I plan to use mine for exploration and camping with the family as well. Huge fan of making it all work on a budget. Can you provide some materials list on what you built the roof platform with? I am wanting to replicate that, but all the racks Ive seen are mega $.

Thanks!
These are the bars I used. I got three for free. I will use four if I were to do it again. I think that adding a bolt clamping the leg and the retention plate is a must. The rest of the rack was done with painted or stained pine wood as you would build a deck. Edges rounded with a router.
Good luck with your build. Looking forward to see the progress her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles