The Resurrection of Kimberley Kampers

The legendary Australian brand Kimberley Kampers (KK) is being relaunched, after its unexpected failure and liquidation 6 months ago. According to the local newspaper there (The Northern Star, in Ballina) two former employees have taken ownership of the company, and plan to relaunch several products at the Sydney Caravan Camping and Supershow in April.

This is encouraging news for all of us who have admired the many innovations that KK brought to the (Australian) market, and who were eager to see the implementation of KK's plans for exporting products to the USA. Hopefully there is now a chance that KK will eventually come to the USA.

The Northern Star article is unfortunately behind a paywall, but hopefully other media will cover this evolving story. If anyone can find an active KK website, please post the link for that here.

KK's website may relaunch in May, and KK will be showing caravans in Australia in June, according to the CaravanCampingSales website. Good news for Aussies, but of course it may take a decade for KK to grow enough to export to North America. For now, most North American buyers must settle for wood-based construction, glass windows, poor insulation, lead-acid batteries, and water systems that risk freeze damage on a typical Spring or Fall night in the desert.

Romer

Adventurer

the prices are in AUD with GST

I asked them if they were still selling to the USA and they said they plan to and possibly even open a dealer here. I doubt they have re instituted their Import license, but nothing like a customer to incentivize them to do that

This is good news as there isnt anything like these here. As you can see in the pictures above, I like to have fun with mine and its still in perfect condition after 4 years. I do keep it parked in my garage (yes it fits) and plugged in all winter

looks like the exchange rate is .68 which is less than when I bought mine

Romer

Adventurer
I was discussing how to do a LI Battery upgrade on my Kimberley Karavan with Kimberley today and they are building and selling units to the US again. There upgrades are pretty cool on the Karvan and looks like you can still get a well equipped Karavan from $50 to $65K in USD depending on options (less shipping). exchange rate and GST factor into the reduction in cost

4 years later, still happy with mine and it goes where I want it to. Before that I owned a Kamper like the one in the photo below for 6 years

As an owner, glad to see they are doing well and still making product

My 2016 Kimberley Karavan next to a 2002 Kimberley Kamper

I use the Jet Tent as the "Guest room"

kk.JPG

Glad to hear that Kimberley may be returning the North American market.

I imagine that their success in that market will depend in large measure on how well their products perform in conditions that drop below freezing overnight. I've never been able to figure out if Kimberley products are fully functional in such conditions.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
This is the second re-birth of Kimberley Kampers, great trailers but I wonder what the underlying issues are that has caused them to go under twice in the last 15 years or so?

Romer

Adventurer
Glad to hear that Kimberley may be returning the North American market.

I imagine that their success in that market will depend in large measure on how well their products perform in conditions that drop below freezing overnight. I've never been able to figure out if Kimberley products are fully functional in such conditions.
There are over 30 Kampers and quite a few Karavans and Kruisers here and the only issue I know of was Brad had a frozen outside water line on his Karavan that he wrapped afterwards and had no further issues. They have heaters under the water tanks you can turn on. I personally havent had an issue, but dont really do any winter camping. I have been out below freezing, just not close to 0 F.

This is the second re-birth of Kimberley Kampers, great trailers but I wonder what the underlying issues are that has caused them to go under twice in the last 15 years or so?
Martyn - It was sold to a person that drove it into the ground in a few months with bad decisions and no management experience. He spent the $$ in other areas rather than paying suppliers, not smart. The people who started it up again have a lot of experience in the Australian market having owned one of the dealers. 15 years ago it was not reborn but sold to Bruce Loxton who was an investor at the time. At least that is what I got out of it. I had a 2002 and now a 2016 so I have been following them closely through the years. They are great trailers and so are yours. They serve different needs and dont overlap that I can see. The technical team who was there before are part of the new company so no lost expertise. That is my 2 cents worth.

No I dont work for the company, have any relations that do. I just really like their product and have been a long time owner. My Karavan build thread is linked in my signature

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
As I understand it four brand new Kimberleys are in the USA being prepped for delivery

Web site looks great https://www.kimberleykampers.com.au/

Note the picture on the Karavan page is the Grand Canyon with Brad and his Karavan

I like the black countertops and the toilet that swivels out so you can have more room in the shower. My shower works but I do have to turn carefully around the toilet

spressomon

Expedition Leader
And take a look at the current exchange rate! Its a great time for those sitting on the fence...to jump in!

Thanks for that news. I hope they bring some to a show soon.

Do you know if equipment & specs on the products exported to North America are the same as those sold in Australia?

As I understand it four brand new Kimberleys are in the USA being prepped for delivery

Romer

Adventurer
The units are basically the same except wired for 110V with US plugs. They also use different propane mounts as the standard size tank in AUS is different then here. Some people install the AC here if they want it. Other than that it is pretty much the same unit

They plan to come to Expo west then it got moved. I hear the may still be coming and talking about a US Kimberley owners camping event afterwards.

They are in process of opening a US Dealer, but that hasn't been completed yet so you still buy from Australia, the Future US Dealer is already doing some work with them here in the US. So it's lined up just not fully executed. With the exchange rate buying direct would likely get you a better deal

0.65 on the dollar. I thought I got a great deal at .73 on the dollar. I know when Dutch bought his it was over a dollar.

The link to my build thread is in my signature. I have pictures they sent me of the build and test phase before they shipped it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles