The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Summit Cruisers Jr

And here's a couple pictures from my trip last weekend to the Wichita Mountains.
No off-roading as most of the land is a state wildlife refuge, but after 20 miles of riding through boulder fields, hiking, and climbing I was too tired to care.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks awesome, love the Cruiser. How are those Kenda tires holding up after about a year of use? I've been shopping around for tires, and those keep coming up as a good price/performance alternative.

Summit Cruisers Jr

Looks awesome, love the Cruiser. How are those Kenda tires holding up after about a year of use? I've been shopping around for tires, and those keep coming up as a good price/performance alternative.

Thanks!
They've held up pretty well! I am pushing about 15,000 miles on them with several large trips and quite a bit of driving on different terrains.. No chunking on the sidewalls or anything weird. They've worn really well and evenly, but seem to have gotten slightly louder over time. Compared to my old KM2's, the wear on them doesn't seem like very much. The KM2's wore weirdly on the outside, but these still look great on the outsides and inside. Other than the noise, they seem a little harder to keep clean than my old tires, but that's getting nit picky.

image.jpg

Summit Cruisers Jr

After years hunting off and on, I finally acquired a passenger side grab handle. It was definitely one of the most nerve racking mods I have ever done. It was painful poking holes in my perfect dash, but well worth it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Summit Cruisers Jr

Amazing rig. Great job.

Thanks!

Put on some new strong arm hatch lifts today! It's been something I've wanted to do for awhile, but just never thought to do it. It's pretty awesome being able to pull the handle back and give it a slight upward nudge and it moves up. I used to have to push it halfway up before it would support the weight, and I would have to finish pushing it up all the way if I wanted it higher.
image.jpg

I also fixed my CB radio set up yesterday. It's never been very good with little to no output. A new firestik antenna didn't help much, so I ordered a new 9' cable and pulled out the old 18' cable. The 9' wasn't long enough to run under the carpet the entire way and have it exit near the E brake but it works really well now. I'll probably figure a cleaner way to route it the next time I have my carpet and driver's seat out. Right now it exits near the kick panel and goes under my rubber floor mat.

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

For spring break I'm heading out to Colorado for several days of skiing and then stopping in Cortez, Moab, and Fruita/Grand Junction to bike and get several days of off roading in Moab. I went home this weekend to give the cruiser some much needed attention. We took the roof top tent off, tore down the driver's side front axle rebuild to replace a leaking inner axle seal, replaced front seat belts, front diff oil change, greased driveshafts and u joints, made roof rack mounts for the Yakima highroller, and put a gasket on the oil cap. My AC compressor and clutch recently locked up and that should be in today so I will be heading home again tomorrow install that.

image.jpg

image.jpg
While the driver's tire was off, I noticed some strange cracking going on. When the cruiser was on the lift, I decided to spin all the tires around and check them. Every tire had at least 6 spots of concern, and the driver's front tire had 14 spots. Here are some of the worst cracks. All in roughly 15k miles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

Update on the tires

After talking to the tire shop earlier this week, they were going to get me a new set and charge me for the wear I had put on the old set. I was kind of frustrated by that, as I wanted to just get my money back and switch to an all terrain, but it's not a huge deal. F these tires crack like the last, I will be getting the price I paid for them put towards a new set of my choice.

Anyways, I dropped them off at the tire shop this morning to have them swapped out. When I went it to pick them up, expecting to spend several hundred dollars, the owner of the shop told me the Kenda Rep had stopped by today to check them out. I'm not sure if he decided to eat the cost or the tire shop, but they didn't charge me a dime for the new set which put me in a better mood as I already had a sour taste in my mouth over this ordeal.

image.jpg

While the tire shop was mounting them up I went to work with replacing the AC compressor.

I've been dealing with flushing the lines for quite awhile. Flushing the lines has to be from the drier end of the lines to the compressor end of the lines.
image.jpg

It was surprisingly easy to get the compressor out. I thought the fan shroud or power steering pump would have to be removed to get it out, but I just tilted it forwards and pulled it out between the air filter and power steering pump.
image.jpg

Summit Cruisers Jr

Due to the time constraints I wasn't able to pull a vacuum and charge the AC with freon, so we went towards Moab without it. My power steering box has been leaking a little bit, but during this trip it started leaking quite a bit of ps fluid. Due for a rebuild pretty soon. I'm not sure if the new tires are just a bad unbalanced batch, which I have read Kenda's don't balance well, but it was not a pleasant long distance drive. I plan to swap over a set of nice riding Duratracks on 16" Toyota wheels from my dad's 40th and see how much better it rides. If it doesn't ride any better I'm going to test the trunion bearings along with the steering stabilizer, and retorque the wheel bearings to see if I can find any issues. If nothing shows any signs of damage, I'll also add more balancing BBs to the tires. Currently they have about 10oz in each one, but I've read about people needing to use 20oz+ to balance these Kendas. I personally think it's mostly the tires which lead to the more rapid demise of the power steering box.

Anyways, this trip was definitely one to remember.

SW Colorado and Moab trip summary

Nearly 2400 problem free miles on my 92 LC in a week.

Passed 375,000 miles on the original drivetrain.

Spotted Clay Croft's (of Expedition Overland) 200 series LC and passed by him somewhere on a hike in Arches National Park.

Hell's Revenge completed with only a small bit of cosmetic damage.

Got to ski a new mountain and ride some epic singletrack on my new to me Yeti SB66.

Day 1
We set out from OKC to Bernalillo, NM. The entire time we faced a strong headwind with 50 mph+ gusts. The cruiser stayed in 3rd gear most of the time doing 60-65 all while shaking like mad with the new tires.

Day 2
We departed Bernalillo for Durango, CO. Once arriving we checked into the hotel, and decided to go ride Phil's World in Cortez, CO. The trails were unbelievable.

Day 3 and 4
We stayed out nights in Durango and our days on the slopes of Purgatory Mountain Resort. I also met a couple other guys in Durango who I had just gotten back from Moab and checked out their trucks. Not sure if they are on here, but if you're reading this you who you are.
image.jpg

Day 5
We packed up our stuff and headed to Moab, Utah. We were not able to check into the place we rented until 4pm so the day was kind of limited in what we could do due to the bikes on the back of the truck. Having never been to Moab before, we set out on a hike to see the Delicate Arch.

While back to the car on a wide area of the trail I thought I saw Clay Croft of Expedition Overland. I told my brother and he was sure but yelled his name. No one turned around and we decided to wait and see if there was a built up 4Runner in the parking lot. When we got down to the lot, a couple spaces over was a nicely set up 200 series with Arb gear, rock warrior wheels, general tires, and 4 maxtrax in ski racks on the roof. Oh and it had Montana plates. We were pretty convinced it was him at that point.
image.jpg

We spent some more time driving around the park and admiring all the sights.
image.jpg

Later that evening we met a local guy in the parking lot of City Market with a nicely built 80. I had a list of about 5 trails I was hoping to do, but after talking to him he said "if you only have time to do one trail, do Hell's Revenge."

Day 6
We woke up early and took the bikes and bike rack of the cruiser and left them in the garage of the place we stayed at. Then we drove up the winding road to the trailhead of Hell's Revenge. Along with the 15 or so Jeeps at the trailhead there was one other 80 series and a Tacoma. We ended up running the trail with them and it was an absolute blast. A little scary at times for the fear of body damage was high in a couple places, but the cruiser handled everything we threw at it. We skipped Hell's Gate, Escalator, a couple of the hot tubs, and the Tip Over challenge as we just weren't comfortable taking those without front and rear lockers or in general.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

He ended up having to hook up to my tow hooks to winch himself out. A front locker probably would have enabled his to crawl right out, but Mickey's Hot Tub was a lot smaller and steeper than we anticipated.

image.jpg

Knuckles white, hands clinching the steering wheel, I started creeping towards this steep and rocky descent. With my brake pedal pushed to the floor and my gearing as low as it would go I nerve-rackingly inched forward listening to the alternating sounds of my brakes groaning and tires screeching; I could not stop focusing on my spotter's hand signals as my truck was leaning over 25 degrees to the side going down this near vertical wall of rock. This descent might not look like much, but pictures hardly ever do justice.

image.jpg

The only damage, besides a couple rock chips on the lower doors - which have already been peppered by rocks, was to the passenger rear bumper wing. Fairly early on the trail I came down on a ledge and thought I was dragging a tow hook or the receiver, but upon later inspection I noticed a big spot of bedliner missing. I really expected more bumper damage on this trip, but thankfully it wasn't bad at all. I think my swing out support (2x4) stopped the bumper wing from being pushed up any higher causing structural damage as there is only about a 1/2" gap between the bumper skeleton and 2x4. Granted it wasn't a huge hit, it definitely helped slightly and happened in the most idea spot.

We got off the trail around 1:30 and headed into town to eat at the Moab Brewery. I had been wanting to ride Porcupine Rim, Captain Ahab, and a couple other trails, but with my brother being on a hardtail, we decided to go for a more mellow ride at the Brands trail system about 9 mi north of town.

Deadman's Ridge

image.jpg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

Day 7
We left Moab early in the morning and made it way towards Fruita, CO to ride some of the the 18 Road Trails. Zippity Do Da was hands down one of my favorite trails I've ever ridden. It was a blast.

image.jpg

After leaving Fruita we continued on to Idaho Springs to eat at Beau Jo's. I was starting to regret my decision to get the Beaughetti instead of one of their famous mountain pies, but the Beaghetti has now become one of my favorite meals.

image.jpg

After eating, we got back on I70 as the snow started to fall and the sun started to set. We pushed on through to Denver and stopped at REI. After looking around for about an hour we left and headed towards our hotel in Colorado Springs.

image.jpg

Day 8
We woke up early and began the boring drive back to central Oklahoma.

tlin

Adventurer
Great writeup, looks like an awesome trip (minus the long, boring drive back home - ha). That descent looks hairy, no doubt. Makes me wonder how my '92 would have fared overall (front/rear ARB lockers on mine) - regardless, white knuckles would have been present here as well.

Are your front brakes stock size (pads/rotors) or did you ever do the larger 93+ rotors with 100-series pads (aka "big brake kit" for the FJ80)?

One of the pics on this page shows a different mount location for your front door panel speakers. Do you have that detailed somewhere? I went with new 6.5" Pioneers in the stock location, wondering if what you did presents any improvement over the low-point-source origin of what I listen to. I know, not a very exciting "tech" question but it is what it is......

Keep up the inspiring trips and updates - these are GREAT!

Summit Cruisers Jr

A little update on the shaking: wheel bearings, trunion bearings, TREs were fine which meant the only thing other than the tires that could be causing the shaking would be the steering stabilizer.

I started by swapping over the wheels and tires from my dad's 40th with 33" Duratracs that we knew were smooth and went for a highway run. Smooth up until about 80-85mph. The power with the 4.88s and 33s was pretty nice, but after being in Moab with the 35s I don't think I could ever go back to 33s.

Interesting look. Makes the 40th anniversary wheels look kind of old looking compared to what I'm used to seeing.
image.jpg
Then we swapped my super old steering stabilizer for my brother's newish OME one and the steering instantly tightened up.

Then we broke the beads on all of my 35s and added another 10oz of BBs to each tire. After doing this, each tire has pretty close to 20oz of BBs and it rides slightly better but still not great.

Breaking the beads
image.jpg

Great writeup, looks like an awesome trip (minus the long, boring drive back home - ha). That descent looks hairy, no doubt. Makes me wonder how my '92 would have fared overall (front/rear ARB lockers on mine) - regardless, white knuckles would have been present here as well.

Are your front brakes stock size (pads/rotors) or did you ever do the larger 93+ rotors with 100-series pads (aka "big brake kit" for the FJ80)?

One of the pics on this page shows a different mount location for your front door panel speakers. Do you have that detailed somewhere? I went with new 6.5" Pioneers in the stock location, wondering if what you did presents any improvement over the low-point-source origin of what I listen to. I know, not a very exciting "tech" question but it is what it is......

Keep up the inspiring trips and updates - these are GREAT!

I was really proud of how well mine did with just the CDL. I ended up running the trail with a fellow 80 series owner on 37s who had an auto locker in the rear, and he was with brother who had a lifted TRDoffroad Tacoma. The Tacoma had traction issues in several places even with the rear locker, but I hardly ever even chirped my tires. The only times front and rear lockers would have been useful for me is if I had wanted to do option lines that would have ended with body damage. Another reason I haven't been in a huge hurry to add lockers is that I see myself wanting to try even more technical lines, which would lead to damaging the truck.

Bigger rotors are on my list to do along with a rear disk conversion. Now that I am on 17s I would like to eventually go with an even larger setup than the 93-97 brakes, but I'm not in a huge hurry as my brakes are pretty good right now. If an even larger more custom set up never pans out and I'm just bored I would probably go with some slotted DBA rotors.

Speaker location was determined by me wanting them to fit with the speaker covers on. The stock location would hit on the dash and prohibit the door from closing. I just made a cardboard template and then cut one out of metal and welded it in. Since I never had front door speakers, I was able to pick where to cut up my door panels.
image.jpeg

Summit Cruisers Jr

what tire are you going to go with once you ditch those garbage Kendas?

If I had the money today to buy a new set, I would probably go with the KO2s and sell these off at a loss. However, I'll probably just drive these until they crack and get a new set of KO2s at that point since this will basically be a free set. I think I'm done with the mud terrains for awhile as I find myself driving further and further on every trip and spending next to no time on the weekends bashing through the mud with friends. It's been awhile since I ran BFG KOs and the new ones are really impressive. I guess Kenda is just too new into the automobile scene to get it right and I figured I was taking a slight gamble on them, but after how well the last set rode and wore, they were great except for the weird cracking. I'm just fortunate that they didn't blow out with the RTT on and the truck all loaded down causing a roll over.

Summit Cruisers Jr

Finished up the AC system. Replaced all o rings along with the drier. Now it's back to blowing ice cold.

I also removed the blower fan along with some old smog stuff that had just been taking up space. I nearly have enough room to build a battery tray and set up a dual battery system. Not really sure about anything on the system currently as I'm not in a huge rush to get it done, but all I would like it to be there for is to start the vehicle if the main better drains down.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94