"The Refiner"... Building this C5500 Expedition conversion

Driftwoodlizard

It's currently 2wd, but I have the Dana Super70 for the front and the transfercase/ driveshafts. Only waiting on a few more pieces to install the 4wd drivetrain. Already put 40" pirelli Unimog tires on her. I call her "The Refiner". The box is 2010 fracking site chemical sampler with all built in power, gen, ac, cabinets, even has a coffee maker and microwave. I'm rearranging the interior and adding a full shower/bath. Also building roof rack and motorcycle rack for the rear. I think I'm going to paint her grey and black in the next couple weeks.

With the 4wd front axle will also lift the front about another 6 inches for a better looking stance.

Will update with progress...20220417_164032.jpg 20220413_171431.jpg20220417_164350.jpg

cabnetguy

Have you looked into locking diffs for the Dana super 70 yet? I purchased a Dana sur 70 rear axle for my truck but haven't found anyone that has locking diffs for it. Fortunately it has factory limited slip.

Driftwoodlizard

Have you looked into locking diffs for the Dana super 70 yet? I purchased a Dana sur 70 rear axle for my truck but haven't found anyone that has locking diffs for it. Fortunately it has factory limited slip.
Yea, I believe the rear is limited slip, I'm really not Worried about the front because the thing is such a beast and I'm really never gonna be rock crawling it.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Yea, I believe the rear is limited slip, I'm really not Worried about the front because the thing is such a beast and I'm really never gonna be rock crawling it.
All C4500 & C5500 that are factory 4x4 had G80 limited slip diffs as standard in the rear D110. Otherwise, it was optional on the 2x4s.
Dana 70 locking guts (example ARB- RD172) will work inside a Super 70 (aka: Dana 70HD), but be advised the Dana 70HD (super) has a different cover than the normal Dana 70.
All the 4x4 C4500/5500 had the upgraded front (8,000) axle
cspec.jpg

Driftwoodlizard

I finished fabricating the spare tire/ motorcycle rack built, powdercoated and installed this week. Also found some killer reclaimed white oak out of a Pennsylvania tobacco barn, stained it up and added the accent wall. Interior mostly finished. Just the bed left! I think I'll throw the Dana in the front this weekend.

Driftwoodlizard

All C4500 & C5500 that are factory 4x4 had G80 limited slip diffs as standard in the rear D110. Otherwise, it was optional on the 2x4s.
Dana 70 locking guts (example ARB- RD172) will work inside a Super 70 (aka: Dana 70HD), but be advised the Dana 70HD (super) has a different cover than the normal Dana 70.
All the 4x4 C4500/5500 had the upgraded front (8,000) axle
View attachment 745037
Awesome info, appreciate it! The rear on this one is massive. Not a Dana, (I don't think).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles