"The Refiner"... Building this C5500 Expedition conversion

Blistic

Great build, thank you for inspiring!

Will be converting our 22 4x4 5500 in next few years

Brady S Rischman
(804)382-0371
Richmond Virginia

Deleted Member 183

Wow! GREAT Truck! I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread before! Oh yeah, I was banned from this site for the last year while you were working on it. :unsure:

A couple of questions:
What are the gear rations of your axles/ 2L in the T-case) and your first gear?

What engine/ trans?

Why didn't you fabricate in pivots at the bottom of your moto rack so that you could fold/ latch flush to the body when not carrying your bike?

How much cash do you plan to be carrying in your tractor fund while traveling?

A couple of suggestions:

Build your cab top rack LIGHT and ONLY pack light bulky objects (NO wheels/ liquids/ heavy tools or spares)!!! If you need a spare "bedroom" you might think about mounting a small RTT sideways over your cab?!?

DON'T cantilever your rack over your windshield!!!!
The only fatal accident I was ever the first vehicle to drive up on was down in Baja ( about 20+ years ago) was a Tacoma with a topper and a cab rack the overhung the windshield. Obviously, It had been traveling WAY too fast on the remote coastal double-track ( probably at night) and they couldn't make the hair pin turn then flipped into a ravine! It was very clear that they had overloaded their rack because it looked like a East LA yard sale off in the ravine.

And on a lighter note... Once you dial your new driveline and put on your new wheels ( why didn't you buy beadlocks?), get a forklift (even better 2) and test your suspension travel!!! It is quite embarrassing when your are stuck because your tire rather get traction off your wheelwell than the ground!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz