The real reason to buy the new Maverick

Grassland

Are we counting the maverick as mid size?
Buddy of mine is changing careers, and with has $1.499 a liter his 2017 SCREW 3.5 FX4 F150 is heavy on gas for all the driving he'll be doing.
Kicker is, still needs to be able to tow 3000# on weekends sometimes.
Not a lot of decent on fuel vehicles that can tow more than 1500#.
RAV4 trail/TRD comes to mind.
Maverick can be mid 30s CAD for AWD and 4k towing, which is cheaper than Nissan Rogue (which can't tow) or Toyota RAV4

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Buddy of mine is changing careers, and with has $1.499 a liter his 2017 SCREW 3.5 FX4 F150 is heavy on gas for all the driving he'll be doing.
Maverick can be mid 30s CAD for AWD and 4k towing, which is cheaper than Nissan Rogue (which can't tow) or Toyota RAV4
3,000 lb what? Tent trailer, hard wall travel trailer, boat, loaded utility trailer? What he's towing will make a difference as to how the truck handles the weight.

I towed a 2,700 lb (dry) tent trailer with a KL. It was rated to tow 5,000 lbs. It did it, but it wasn't fun. Granted our wet weight was probably close to 4,000 lbs.
13575775_10209173573163986_1911230519143758850_o.jpg

ricoisme26

I wouldn't call it midsized, maybe its a return to mini trucks? Park it next to a true mini truck and I'm sure the maverick is still massive next to one of those.

3,000 lb what? Tent trailer, hard wall travel trailer, boat, loaded utility trailer? What he's towing will make a difference as to how the truck handles the weight.

I would think it would handle all but a travel trailer/enclosed trailer well. Maybe not the best for towing a pontoon either but a small fishing boat I would think it would handle.

Grassland

For towing, a quad on an open deck trailer, plus hunting gear. Possible tent trailer in the future or small enclosed trailer.

You probably had a real high tongue weight on the pop up Todd
Mine was obscene with that front storage part. Everything ended up there plus we never traveled with full water tank to balance it out.

I would not want to risk a quad on a trailer even if it's actual 1500# on a vehicle "rated" for only 1500#. I haven't weighed his quad or his trailer but we all know how extra gear and weight ends up in and on the truck and trailer

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You probably had a real high tongue weight on the pop up Todd
Mine was obscene with that front storage part. Everything ended up there plus we never traveled with full water tank to balance it out.

I would not want to risk a quad on a trailer even if it's actual 1500# on a vehicle "rated" for only 1500#. I haven't weighed his quad or his trailer but we all know how extra gear and weight ends up in and on the truck and trailer
For sure. That front box was filled to the brim with all the crap a family of 4 + a dog would bring. We usually travelled with a full water tank as well.

The camp site pictured had no water on site. Had to bring in your own. Tank was full plus I think we brought a couple flats of water bottles as well.

I recall leaving for that trip and the front end / steering of the Jeep feeling "light" upon pulling away from lights & stop signs. It would settle after I got up to speed, but still..... After that trip we traded it for our current F150. Downside of towing with a FWD based AWD...

Grassland

Indeed.

I'll be spending time reading up specs of various cross overs but I don't think there is tons out there with a 3000-3500# tow rating that will be under 10l/100 in daily driving.
At least not that's under 40k CAD right now. GMC Terrain and equivalent can't tow. Nissan Rogue can't. AFAIK the smaller Subaru's that might actually be good on gas can't.
Ford Edge maybe? But might as well get a Maverick at that point, same drivetrain I'd wager.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Indeed.

I'll be spending time reading up specs of various cross overs but I don't think there is tons out there with a 3000-3500# tow rating that will be under 10l/100 in daily driving.
At least not that's under 40k CAD right now. GMC Terrain and equivalent can't tow. Nissan Rogue can't. AFAIK the smaller Subaru's that might actually be good on gas can't.
Ford Edge maybe? But might as well get a Maverick at that point, same drivetrain I'd wager.
What does the daily driving consist of? Honestly I'm not far off that in summer with cruise set to 65 in 2WD in my F150.

Would a Ranger work? Probably a little tougher on gas but I think it would handle a trailer better.

I think the next gen Canyon / Colorado's that are coming out are supposed to be turbo 4's as well....

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Indeed.

FWIW….(per the dealer’s website), also one might consider the bigger, more powerful Ascent

Can a Subaru Outback tow?
You bet! When equipped with the Subaru Outback towing package, your Subaru Outback can tow a variety of objects like a small watercraft, an adventure trailer, an open-aired trailer, and more.

How much can a Subaru Outback tow?
First things first: make sure your vehicle is equipped with the right Subaru Outback Parts! Make sure your gear is designed to operate as the OEM intends. If you have the 2.5L engine, then you can pull a rated 2,700lbs. If you have the 2.4L turbo, then your final tow rating bumps up to 3,500lbs.

Can a Subaru Outback tow a trailer?
It sure can! But let's back up a second and define "trailer." If you're thinking trailer as in a three-car hauler because you want to start your own auto-shipping business, you might not get very far. If you are looking at a small camper, boat trailer, or ATV type trailer, then you're in business.

Grassland

Outback and larger are not the "smaller and more fuel efficient" models.
Especially to spend 40k or more for marginal gains over an aluminum F150.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Outback and larger are not the "smaller and more fuel efficient" models.
Especially to spend 40k or more for marginal gains over an aluminum F150.
Ford dealers also still onow how to service transmissions and gear boxes. Subaru dealers forgot how to do that yrs ago and treat them like mysterious mechanical things more complicated than a super car which they are not. Skip the Subaru I dumped my last one when all our dealers went stupid. Front diff and cvt are a dealer only thing unless you like Subaru skipping out on faulty parts and leaving you with an expensive paper weight.

Dougnuts

I have an Outback 3.6R, a 2021 RAV4, and an F150. I think I would tell your friend to get a Ridgeline if he could afford it.

85_Ranger4x4

I wouldn't call it midsized, maybe its a return to mini trucks? Park it next to a true mini truck and I'm sure the maverick is still massive next to one of those.

Dimensionally a Supercab 86-11 Ranger has basically the same footprint as a new Ranger.

With a 3" lift and 31's my 85 looks a 19+ in the eye and isn't a whole lot shorter (std cab 7' bed). Later ones sat higher than mine did originally (could fit 31's stock)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles