The Pioneering Spirit's Expedition JKU Build

jsek29

Observer
In preparation for our upcoming trip from South Africa to Morocco, we are building our '07 JKU . Our goals are increased durability and improved reliability. To that end, we have sent the Jeep to Bruiser Conversions for a Cummins 4BT among other changes. Full Build Sheet is below.

Though we do have a couple of gear sponsors, the goal of this post is not advertising or marketing for anyone. Brand names are included for the items on the build sheet so people know the details of our build.

I spent a lot of time researching prior to choosing a 4BT Jeep for the trip. With gasoline less available than diesel, and the diesel they do have is not the low sulfur, clean diesel we have here in the states, the 4BT is a great choice as it can handle a wider variety of fuel "qualities" than newer engines. On top of that, it is the only platform I have found that has a proven track record of working in the JK. I have heard of Mercedes and VW diesels installed into Wranglers, but not with nearly the frequency and success of the 4BT. I am always excited to discuss the Jeep, the parts and services we chose, and learn more about how to make this Jeep a reliable and durable vehicle to get us through our journey.

Bruiser should start on their part just after the first of the year, unless we get lucky and a spot opens up in the shop earlier than that. Given the timeline from Bruiser, we should get the Jeep in mid February and drive it home to Oregon as a shakedown trip. We will have a few items to add after we get home. Once here and complete, we will ship the Jeep to South Africa and start exploring. Check out the trip, and our prep thus far on our website, linked below.

What we started With:
Pronghorn Overland Gear MFES-JK C1
Warn 9.5 XP-S Winch
Gobi Rack Roof Rack
Road Shower Solar Hot Water System
Bundutec Bunduawn 3-Side Awning
HiLift Jack
Shovel
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED Headlights
JW Speaker 6145 LED Fog Lights
Mac's Custom Tie Downs Black Box Cargo Drawer
Bartact Seat Covers w/Mil-Spec PALS Webbing
Drake Off-Road Turnbuckle Hood Tie-Downs
Bolt Hood Lock
Daystar Upper Dash Panel Organizer Tray
Jeep Rubber Floor Mats
Blue Ridge Overland Gear Expedition Organizers
Jeep JKU Attic
JK Door Handle Pouches
JK Grab Handle Pouch
JK Headrest Panel and IFAK Bag

What Bruiser will add:
Cummins 4BT conversion
Moderate power increase, ~150 HP, ~400 ft-lbs torque
NV4500 Transmission
Transmission case breather extension to raise level of transmission case breather, with large gauge hose
A-Pilar Gauge Group
EGT Gauge
Engine Oil Pressure Gauge
Lift Pump Low Pressure warning light and alarm
Rubicon Transfer Case (4:1 Low Range)
Transfer case breather extension to raise level of transfer case breather, with large gauge hose
Ultimate Dana 60 Rear Axle
4.88 Gearing
Eaton E-Locker
Axle case breather extensions to raise level of axle case breathers, with large gauge hose
New Drive Shaft to fit Larger Axle, Retain Stock U-Joint Sizing
New Parking Break Cable to fit Larger Axle
Ultimate Dana 60 Front Axle
4.88 Gearing
Eaton E-Locker
Install axle case breather extensions to raise level of axle case breathers, with large gauge hose
New Drive Shaft to fit Larger Axle, Retain Stock U-Joint Sizing
Larger master cylinder for brakes, due to larger rotors on the new axles
Gen Right JK 20 Gallon Dual Gas Tank
Rock Hard Sport Cage
Snorkel, with cyclone dust separator
Metal Cloak Overland "Elite" Suspension, 2.5", RockSport Edition
Currie Anti Rock sway bar
ARB CKMTA12 Dual air compressor
Braided Stainless air lines run to both front and rear bumper
Genesis Off Road Dual Battery Tray
G-Button included
Optima Red Top for cranking battery
Optima Yellow Top for accessory battery
Heavy gauge lines run to front and rear bumper with Anderson plug, for winch and trailer power
Convert trailer lights plug to South African standard trailer plug to rear bumper.
S-Pod 8 switch solid state power control module.
Front and rear lockers wired to S-Pod
Compressor wired to S-Pod
Wire in electric fan shut off switch to S-Pod
Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheels, to fit axles above (silver color for Chevy HD Trucks per Rock Monster web site)
BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tires, 35X12.50R17
Include spare (total: 5 wheels & tires)

SRUPike

Observer
Sounds like a build I have been dreaming about... Can't wait to follow your adventures...

I sounds like you are looking at using a camping trailer, did you look at using a Ursa-minor for more of an all in one setup?

With the GenRight tank, is that in addition too or replacement of the stock tank?

jsek29

Observer
On trailers and tanks

SRUPike,

We are planning on using a camping trailer. Our plan is to get one in South Africa, hopefully a Conqueror. We decided to keep our Jeep as a daily driver, so no Ursa Minor or other all-in-one setups. That helps keep the vehicle weight as light as possible. With the low GVWR of the JKU, we thought it better to put camping gear in a trailer. We are used to towing a camp trailer, we have had a teardrop trailer that we used for trips over the last 8 years. We decided to get something built more stout than that, as we found the limits to its durability over the last few trips. Washboard roads and tougher trails backed out screws and shook doors apart, plus we were left with nowhere to hide from the rain and snow at Overland Expo. We learned the importance of having somewhere to sit or stand out of the weather, so that became a priority.

The Gen Right tank is in addition to the stock tank. We will have 45 gallons of fuel on the frame, plus a couple of Jerry Cans on the back. If we can get near the mpg that other 4BT Jeeps claim, we will have nearly 800 miles of fuel in tanks! It does necessitate moving the muffler underneath the driver's side seats, but that space is open anyway.

Glad you can follow along, we look forward to sharing our adventure.

jsek29

Observer
Update, with photo!

Bruiser has the lift on it, axles swapped, Currie Anti-Rock installed, and new wheels and tires on our Jeep. They also gave it a good wash before pulling it into the engine shop to install the 4BT.

image.jpg

Pretty, right?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Awesome!

I have a 4BT in an old Scout. One thing you may want to discuss with Bruiser is to have the pump rebuilt at a competent Bosch licensed shop with all new seals.

It is very common for the pumps to start leaking after 500 miles or so, as most of the engines have set around for a while. I ended up doing a complete reseal, to include the O rings at the head cap.
A Bosch licensed facility will also have the flow bench, and can set the pump up to your specs (flow rate governs HP).

Looking forward to following along with your build.

jsek29

Observer
GMWelder 86,

The E-Lockers come stock with the Dana 60s. Those D60s, The Ultimate Dana 60, are built for the JK, and are not the standard D60. The carrier/locker is not the same, among other things. No one yet builds one to fit, except Eaton, and they only build one for 4.56 and numerically higher gearing. I have the ARB compressor so we have air for fixing tires and airing up for hard surface roads. When we get back to the states, we'll re-evaluate the gearing/tire size and locker options.

Comanche Scott,

Bruiser essentially rebuilt the engine, but I don't know about the pump. I have a call with them next week and will check on that. I'll let you know what they did. I do know they are setting up the engine to get a but more HP and torque, approx 400 ft-lbs and 150-200 HP.

Jared

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Something else you may want to ask them is to replace the fuel pick-up pump. It's not expensive, and very easy to replace. When the diaphragm fails it will start getting diesel fuel in the crankcase. That is really hard on the bearings.

Here are some pictures to help describe what I am talking about with the injection pump.
Feel free to share this with Bruiser, if it helps.

This is the pump head cap bolt (common area to start leaking)
VE-Pump_Head-Cap_zps32d51ebc.jpg

Here you can see the O ring from this pump that started leaking (one of the most common leaks that get missed in a pump reseal, unless done by a Bosch licensed shop).
Head-cap-leak_zps5af0bf4a.jpg

Here is an "exploded view" of the pump from when I did the reseal, just for fun. lol
Bosch-VE-460424055_zpsa7ed3087.jpg

Hope this info is helpful.

jsek29

Observer
Thanks, that is helpful. I will ask them about both the injection pump and the pick-up pump. Ill report back on what they say.

Something else you may want to ask them is to replace the fuel pick-up pump. It's not expensive, and very easy to replace. When the diaphragm fails it will start getting diesel fuel in the crankcase. That is really hard on the bearings.

Here are some pictures to help describe what I am talking about with the injection pump.
Feel free to share this with Bruiser, if it helps.

This is the pump head cap bolt (common area to start leaking)
VE-Pump_Head-Cap_zps32d51ebc.jpg

Here you can see the O ring from this pump that started leaking (one of the most common leaks that get missed in a pump reseal, unless done by a Bosch licensed shop).
Head-cap-leak_zps5af0bf4a.jpg

Here is an "exploded view" of the pump from when I did the reseal, just for fun. lol
Bosch-VE-460424055_zpsa7ed3087.jpg

Hope this info is helpful.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Ye-Ha!

I can't wait to see this thing running!

Any chance you guys can make it to Easter Jeep Safari in Moab?

-Dan

HAFICON

Adventurer
NICE... I been thinking hard on one of these bumpers... My bumper has seen its better days... I really like the functionally of it and the ability to change it up.. When you get the Jeep back please post details on the front bumper I need something that can take a hit..

jsek29

Observer
Greco, in short; maybe. We're working with Bruiser on going with them. I will post any updates on that as I have them. Drop me a line with your plans, for both EJS and your Africa trip. Your silence is driving me crazy!

HAFICON, we have had that bumper for,a couple of years now, and love it. Others may be cheaper, but none so functional. It's modularity is great for finding the setup, singular, that is best for you. The connections between the center section and either full width or stubby end sections are beefy, and take quite a bit of time to get either end on the center. Thankfully, we haven't had an opportunity to see how it handles impact, but is it a far cry stouter than the whimpy stock c-channel bumper. On top of that, it has oodles of recovery options, with more on the way. Stay tuned, we're working with Pronghorn on our upcoming Africa trip. I'll update what we put on our Jeep once I meet with them, after Bruiser is done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior