The Perfect Vehicle-Mounted Medical/First Aid Bag

Erik N

Adventurer
I'm still on the search for it... I believe it should meet the following requirements:

Decent Size
Vehicle mounting option
Easily/Quickly removeable so that you aren't running back and forth to the vehicle
Color Must Be RED
Durable fabric-type material
Some type of organization inside

So, the closest thing that I've been able to find is Springtail's "Large 1st Aid Pouch" ( http://store.springtailsolutions.com/Large-1st-Aid-Pouch_p_42.html ). It meets all of my requirements except 1... It's Orange. That little "tic" inside my head thinks it should be Red. I have always associated Red with "emergency/medical" and Orange with "vehicle-recovery gear". I've asked them numerous times to get me one in red and they always say no. lol.

Anyone care to share any cool first-aid pouches/bags you've come accross?

Re the red color... I am a paramedic and my ambulance bags are all different colors. Not for any particular reason, they are just what was issued to me. Although it is nice to tell someone "it's in the yellow (or red, or green, or black etc) bag. Just sayin...

Last edited:

BBsound

Adventurer
I really like this one, and it comes in red:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040TM3YS/

I would advise getting the bag and then filling it yourself. This article has a good common sense baseline you can start with:

http://survivalblog.com/getting_your_group_to_buy_in_t/

All of the items in that list will easily fit in the 3 compartments of that bag. You can make one compartment trauma, one meds and one PPE and other stuff.

Costco has the best deals on over-the-counter meds, with Target right behind. I usually buy bulk 4x4 dressings and the like from Amazon. It's not much more expensive anymore than the EMT catalogs we use for the SAR team, and you can get more reasonable quantities.

For training, consider a WFA (Wilderness First Aid) or WFR (Wilderness FIrst Responder), and pick up one of the WFA small laminated guide books.
http://www.wildmed.com/blog/updated-wilderness-medicine-field-guides/

Arclight

I got one of these bags as a Christmas gift. It is a really well made bag. I will post pics when I get it setup.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Voodoo tactical and condor both make red MOLLE style pouches.

Condor tactical seems to be the brand that springtail includes with their kits.

Adventure medical makes the best pre-assembled first aid kits from my experience.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Agree on the Adventure kits. Couple years ago I bought the small 1-2 person kits to make first aid kits for our daily drivers. I liked them because the basic kit was decent and the zippered pouch was nice and roomy. I was able to add a good bit of other stuff to the kit, some more gauze, moleskin, several kinds of OTC meds, fire, mylar emergency blanket etc. It's not a trauma kit, more of a 1st aid and comfort kit. But enough key basis to stay alive with it.

1staid-1.jpg
1staid-2.jpg

here's the 'junk on the bunk', showing all the stuff that fit in there. The top row is stuff I added, bottom row came in the kit.

1staid-4.jpg

/I now it's not directly responsive to the topic, but it's been stewing a while

RangerXLT

Adventurer
After buying a few store bought kits I found most of them to be lacking. This is what I carry now. It's overboard but when I do trips with 12-14 kids age 11-18 somehow it gets used on a regular basis. Not a bag, but it's also used for rafting trips as well. Also when there is a real emergency the last thing you want is digging around in your kit, I can just crack this open and everything is easy to see.
417b3b1e95ed0f306a83f02553426f11.jpg
b79c404f5fa6d11049260819374e2761.jpg
62341e85a4c3a45384f0fff4c2e28135.jpg

On a side note after reading some of the other post I'd take the advice from the EMS world. I have my NREMT, Paramedic and Fire ll as well as wildernest first responder, not bragging just saying I put together my own stuff based of my experience and my training. I assure you the one time a real emergency happens nothing will go "as planned" human error is the biggest issue in an emergency and if you can limit complications by having your gear work for you, then you can possibly change the outcome completely. The last thing you want it a simple head injury and next thing you know your freaking out looking for the basics like a pair of gloves and some gauze. Also you want to be able to clean that gear after some occurrences, fabric not the easiest. You'll find medical supplies can also become costly. I would (and did) pay for a container to protect that investment for as long as possible and make sure it's in good Conditon when it counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doc2012

If I may, why is non red a "deal breaker"?

Is it the thought "OH! There's my red bag, it's red like blood for medical stuff!"?

Or is it "different"?

If you're looking for different, I've got some options for you.

I have three bags that I use, though, when set up, are more my SHTF bag than a "first aid" bag.

First, is my old school, tri-color med bag.

It's got 8 pouches, and big main pouch.

I've got IV needles, medication, IV "footballs" combat gauze, tourniquets, thermometer, duct tape, SAM splints, ect ect. I love it.

Pics:

33e93d05af8222176994897b73e5784f.jpg

4935863c1e8da942022c22caf5f3a224.jpg

b1748c4ea89f5013882835dd18562e90.jpg

b5069c08b8330982a612db37f4c53943.jpg

c0f0f6c21a3edd8f6ec17ef2b64a9fd5.jpg

8b1650a22d1df2e58c34be002b3b7825.jpg

9cebbc7b6dfb3c6d57df146251d02a53.jpg

Quick release buckles:

0405d7bfcfe236ee7fc1db7ec80a55d8.jpg

The other is my BlackHawk bag, of which I have 3 or 4. Ou can pack a metric ton into these bags. I MAINLY use them for a 72 hour bag. A LOT of space, and comfortable.

a01171fc12d59e60a7407eab77276b3a.jpg

af3d01ed19433d8070d4d4ef50efe9c6.jpg

e8c5dda1feaa37dd65513a050df60c35.jpg

39263c633ffcf98c35d45ce9fea42dbf.jpg

1504b92dc67949c08a6961b98969ecfe.jpg

e65fead92a210ea4e95eae521701bd75.jpg

The third is a "truck" bag, of which I have a collapsable litter, and a bunch of medical supplies, mainly restocking supplies.

I'll get pics of that tomorrow, as its buried in my trailer right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
The color difference IMO isn't for you as much as people that don't know what your bag looks like. If you're tending to someone or your the victim red is kind of international thing that screams emergency kit. But in you're defense in shtf scenario you many want the kit understated so its not pilfered or something to that effect.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

RangerXLT

Adventurer
The color difference IMO isn't for you as much as people that don't know what your bag looks like. If you're tending to someone or your the victim red is kind of international thing that screams emergency kit. But in you're defense in shtf scenario you many want the kit understated so its not pilfered or something to that effect.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Ok...then make it clear its a medical kit. A cross is more universal in my opinion. Or write medical kit on it. It should always be accessible, so it should be easy to know what it is. I used some reflective tape from the navy and made my own decal which is red and very clear as to the contents of the case. Even my old med bag, retired to a range bag, was stenciled.
945047168991e955a0411d667139c412.jpg
5318e3111150e5f9f11be9c98c8407a1.jpg

Doc2012

A cross is more universal in my opinion.

This.

If it HAS to have red on it, take it to a embroidery shop and have them put a Red Cross on the bag, and if it's a pack, have them put one on each side so you can tell from both sides.

Embroidery is a cheap option for a non red bag.

That being said, make sure you don't have a red lens flashlight, if you chose to go with a red bag.

Or at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulrid8

Check out skinnymedic.com . he has some nice kits and not bad on prices. He is a medic I work with and has videos on YouTube too.

samer0214

Not a bag or a pouch, but rather a puncture resistant hard plastic, high visibility orange in color, easily mounted to a rig, quickly removable is this kit by Rotopax. http://rotopax.com/First-Aid-Preparedness.html

It's also available empty, so you can customize its contents, which is what I did with mine. And finally you can stack 2 if you need more supplies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles