The Perfect Vehicle-Mounted Medical/First Aid Bag

rayra

Expedition Leader
Consider a red backpack for portability, especially in an off-road vehicle. You might be walking a while with it. Be a lot easier if it's a backpack.
Add straps or fasteners so it can be readily mounted in a vehicle, but retain the shoulder straps in case you have ot wear it.

redcrosspack.jpg

taco_tay

Adventurer
I'm an EMT and used to be in the Coast Guard. With my experience soft bags are nice and light but get beat up pretty quick. Not very handy to mount either. I would buy a medium size Pelican Case and spray paint a red cross on the top. You can get all kind of organizers for it and stick it with whatever medical gear you want. You can lock it up and mount it outside your rig or mount it inside. You cant go wrong with Pelican Cases. Good luck!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I'd take a SAM Splint, an old towel, and a roll of duct tape over any of this stuff. Between the three, I'd have 90% of all emergencies covered.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'd take a SAM Splint, an old towel, and a roll of duct tape over any of this stuff. Between the three, I'd have 90% of all emergencies covered.

Normally, I'd agree, but I prefer clean bandages on my gushing wound, thank you. The only reason you'd need a SAM splint is if you didn't have any sticks or similar things lying around. Then again, I keep one in my kit, just in case. As for duck tape, if you don't have it in your rig already, you're just asking for trouble.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I keep a Plano Marine box stuffed full of blood stoppers. Rigid plastic helps keep things from rubbing open, and it floats. http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=109&PID=1255
Comes with a gusset that I put a bit of grease on to help with proofing it against the weather. I wrote First Aid all over it, and it is in the same location all of the time. I keep the band-aids in the glovebox.

libarata

Expedition Leader

Oh yeah? Well, I rub dirt in it, and man up... We are talking about 21st century medical kits to help folks until help arrives. Not how bad *** you think you are.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I'm an EMT and used to be in the Coast Guard. With my experience soft bags are nice and light but get beat up pretty quick. Not very handy to mount either. I would buy a medium size Pelican Case and spray paint a red cross on the top. You can get all kind of organizers for it and stick it with whatever medical gear you want. You can lock it up and mount it outside your rig or mount it inside. You cant go wrong with Pelican Cases. Good luck!

You are right, up until you have to pay for one.

I agree, they are expensive! In fact, this is the only gear I have ever bought a Pelican case for. Even my rifles ride in soft bags.

I chose the Pelican case because it protects some expensive diagnostic equipment I carry and a lot of other delicate things I don't want getting dirty, wet, or crushed. I want the piece of mind that when I need it, all of my medical gear will be clean, dry, and pretty much in the same place I put it when I closed the lid.

I see how my tool set has turned out with being carried around in a soft bag.

I use an old fanny pack, actually a decent one. It has a couple pockets but what I like best is I can strap it to the backseat headrest. It stays put but comes off with a yank. Im sure you could find a red one.

colodak

Adventurer
I carry a fully stocked level 1 trauma center, in red, but I don't know how to use it................the point being, if you don't have the skills ahead of time, you're just putting wet leaves on it.

This is what I carry, you can also see my fire extinguisher below it, it sits on the hump behind the front seats, I've had it for over 20 yrs.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

Get a seahorse case. Just as good but 1/3 the price. The only reason I would shell out for the pelican if I was carrying 10s of thousands of electrical gear that needed special build cases. I have a bunch of seahorse cases and they work awesome.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a blue small trama pack that We purchased for all of our work vehicles from our local safety store. Its lightweight has most everything in it you would need. I need to replenish some stuff We have used, and all cool bandaids for my son. ha ha.

rabies

time is running out.....
up above. or snapped/bolted to a rack(from a gas grill, welded to the window frame of a rear window driver doesnt use.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here, took this photo at a SportsChalet store a couple days ago. I'd say the interior volume was large enough to hold a 3" thick 3-ring binder. The carry handle was flimsy, could need reinforcement if you were going to carry it far. But certainly good enough for a vehicle-borne 1st Aid kit of your own compilation. It was $12.

redbagsportchalet_zpsbad2e221.jpg

But I still say a red backpack for an offroad excursion vehicle is a far better idea. In terms of walking out, extra carry capacity, red for visibility and traditional 1st aid coloration.

jansport-big-student-high-risk-red-41b29847f7b3d1222a0df7e2215d87a5.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
...I use a orange 1550 pelican case stuffed full of crap bought individually. Put a big reflective Red Cross on it and consider myself ready to go. I went with the regular box and not the fancy EMS version with the organizer due to the extra cost...

I did the same except tan to match the interior of my truck and I got the 'photographers lid organizer' to hold small things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online