The old reseating a tire bead with lighter fluid trick. Bad idea?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
:sombrero: Well, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but

I've never been unable to reseat BOTH beads, using the pneumatic bead expander-

The EVEN air pressure, will apply a uniform circumferential pressure, causing the beads to seat naturally-

Sometimes in a dry field, it's not advisable to use the flame/gas method !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Jim, you need to attend one of the tires clinic at Overland Expo.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well Martyn, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but the chances of me driving to one of the clinics is SLIM, remember I'm getting pretty old and we don't take too many exploration chances anymore !

I mostly stick to parts of the Sierras I'm familiar with, but even that can be hazardous to your health

Hows business in Arizona ??

Do you still live in Truckee and commute, or did you move?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Wow.

So you're comparing EDC-based systems which control multi-shot injections to "Joe" in his driveway with a can of either?
Right. No one, including diesel mfg's, ever used ether in diesels before the advent of EDC systems.
You do it your way. Thousands of other people will do it as they have been for at least half a century.

It's funny. You pop in and insist there's nothing wrong with using ether to seat a tire because you've done it a lot, as have others, without issue, but insist ether should never be used in any diesel, ignoring the fact that many people have been doing it without any problems since long before you were a gleam in your dad's eye.

To the OP, my apologies for my contribution to derailing your thread.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
:sombrero: Well Martyn, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but the chances of me driving to one of the clinics is SLIM, remember I'm getting pretty old and we don't take too many exploration chances anymore !

I mostly stick to parts of the Sierras I'm familiar with, but even that can be hazardous to your health

Hows business in Arizona ??

Do you still live in Truckee and commute, or did you move?

Jim, we have been very busy all year with trailer and vehicle builds.

I still have a house in Truckee, but moved with the family down to Prescott a year ago. It's been a good move for everyone.

kchristian

Adventurer
I leave this thread for two weeks and this is what I come back too...

Lot's of useful information here. Thanks for the replies. I guess the overall answer to my question is, aside from the obvious dangers of combining flammable liquids or gases with flames, there isn't a significant reason why one shouldn't use the starting fluid trick to seat a tire. With that said, there are arguably safer methods for the better-prepared. Amiright?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Every technique has it's right place and time. There is no one right solution that fits all situations. What you should take away is to learn how to do it and put it in your mental tool box. Take it out and use it when it's appropriate, use something else when it's not. I'm guessing most of those who think it's really dangerous have never done it.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Lot's of useful information here. Thanks for the replies. I guess the overall answer to my question is, aside from the obvious dangers of combining flammable liquids or gases with flames, there isn't a significant reason why one shouldn't use the starting fluid trick to seat a tire. With that said, there are arguably safer methods for the better-prepared. Amiright?
Pretty much. Every method has tradeoffs plus it depends on what you have on hand.

I wouldn't try it on tube type tires though. ;)

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
We were able to show using a ARB compressor and a ratchet strap to seat a tire bead last weekend at the Washington Overland Rally, plenty of people asked us about ether... I told them to check on this thread first. :D

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior