The Old Cariboo Gold Rush Trail - Need help in setting up this adventure

Nomad1

Observer
Hello fellow adventurers

I am looking for routes that run along the Cariboo trail that run in the general same direction since the hwy pretty much follows the original trail.
I would like to do as much of the way on gravel and seek your help.

Right now I have done an alternative from harrison east to boston bar and I see that their are some nice drives one can take from 150 mile to barkerville but its in between boston bar and 150 mile that I need help in filling in I am hoping that someone here has had a past interest in doing the same thing and may have a route they can suggest me..

once this is worked out I will post to see who would be interested in coming along on the trip.

Thanks Bill

fisher205

Explorer
This thread needs to be in the backcountry adventure PLANNING forum. This forum is for trips already under way. You should read the first tread and find out what to put in the treads.

rgallant

Adventurer
Depends on what you want, I have driven a lot of the FSR's between Vancouver and Williams lake. Some are pretty easy almost gravel roads Spout Lake from Lac la Hache into Horsefly is a nice easy drive - not much to see though. One thing to remember is given the winter and spring we have had the road over the Koopi pass into Boston Bar could be impassable from wash outs or slides, it has been previously.

There is a powerline trail north from Boston Bar to Lytton. But I have not driven that in about 4 years, it was a bit messy in places but passable to a stock R50 Pathfinder. After that you can continue to run up that side of the river to Lillooet, once again not a lot to see but a nice drive.

Another option is to go West Harrison, towards Pemberton then through Birken, along Anderson Lake to Seton Portage and into Lillooet. It is a little tricky at Darcy to pick up the FSR but it is a nice drive high above the lake. Just before Marble Canyon Prov Park there is a FSR that will take to you to just outside Clinton, it is a decent drive.

I basically live by my Backroads Mapbooks paper and GPS copies and kind of wing it. I prefer to be well off the beaten path, and find what I find.

You could try this forum as well, they are pretty helpful bunch. http://overlandcanada.com/forum/

Nomad1

Observer
Thanks for that I will take a look at those routes the power line trail would be nice to try as I want to keep it reasonably close to the old trail..

anyone know if they still have the ferry running then in lytton?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles