The OFFICIAL Overland Expo EAST 2014 Thread!

Silverfox1

Bad luck

Dang the bad luck. :(

Bought weekend pass and on-site camping pass over a month ago. Was really looking forward to this trip. Went into town yesterday to top off gas, propane and fill up fridge. Came home, backed into the drive and the brake pedal went to the floor. Found a major leak in the brake line along the frame at under the drivers side.

This seems to be a common Chevy problem. Unloaded camper (had to re-install jacks) this am. Garage coming to tow and replace all the brake lines. Probably won't be done until Friday. Was planning to hit the road Thursday. I may still try to do a day trip Saturday/Sunday.

Wise Old Jason

Founder, Wise Old Media
This will be my first time for Overland Expo and the wife and I are amped! :wings:

I do have some questions though...

I'll only be up there for Saturday due to prior engagements, what's the seating situations in the demo areas? Some of the demos and such are an hour long and I'm getting over a knee injury, so standing is out of the question, should I bring a fold up chair, or is there going to be actual seats for folks to sit in?

hansrober

Adventurer
Bring a chair or a light weight stool (like those found for backpacking at REI) to be safe.There were seats at most of demos and such out west, but the seats do fill up. Keep in mind the demos are open to everyone and there will people kind of wandering in and out of them. I would say try to be a few minutes early if you can.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
My wife and I will be camping and driving down from MA and checking in Saturday AM - one thing I'm not clear on, will we be able to set up camp next to our car? And if not, what's the trek from likely parking to campspot - I'd probably bring a turf tired appliance dolly to ferry our stuff in that case.

Excited to be there, just hope we can do our deluxe tent camping thing (6 person tent for 2, aerobed, nice cooler, plastic totes, etc) - keeps the marital bliss going :)

We have weekend and camp passes pre-purchased

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Hope so, I just seem to remember reading somewhere that cars weren't allowed since it's hilly and might get slick.

But I generally don't get stuck - plenty of hours managing momentum in snow and offroad driving in the past :)

Hope so, I just seem to remember reading somewhere that cars weren't allowed since it's hilly and might get slick.

But I generally don't get stuck - plenty of hours managing momentum in snow and offroad driving in the past :)

Taken from the Overland Expo FAQ page:

VEHICLES & TRAILERS: Camping on-site at Taylor Ranch will be limited to overland rigs: trucks, vehicles with four-wheel-drive, trailers (only if pulled by four-wheel-drive truck), and purpose-built larger rigs that have four-wheel-drive. NOTE: 12-foot height limit due to trees around the entire venue. If you are bringing a trailer, you must be pulling it with a vehicle that has 4WD. Please make sure your trailer has adequate ground clearance. (Reminder: there are no hookups in this venue.) Quiet generators are allowed but must be turned off by 10 pm.

swduncan

Observer
Workerdrone I would guess that someone with a pickup (I.e. Me) might be willing to ferry some gear. Assuming they don't allow your car through just for drop off purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier