The OFFICIAL Overland Expo EAST 2014 Thread!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Anyone know if the food vendors will be open for all three meals, or just lunch & dinner or just lunch? Trying to decide how much food & kitchen to bring...I'd prefer to buy from the vendors, but if they won't be available some times (i.e. Thursday evening, or Monday morning) I'd like to be prepared.

Okay, large caveat in advance: This is a new venue to us, with new food vendors. Taylor Ranch is making the arrangements, but we've been promised breakfast, lunch, and light dinner trucks for all three days of the show. So you'll be on your own for Thursday evening and Monday morning, and it would be smart to have backup (also I wouldn't expect to order dinner at 11:00 pm). Taylor Ranch has done a lot of events, and so far everything they've told us has been right on the money (unlike another venue management company we could name), so I think we should be in good shape for food vendors. The ones they've named sound excellent; Asheville is awash in incredible food.

If I hear any updates I will post them here.

Last edited:

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Where is everyone staying at? I know some will camp on site but what is everyone else doing? Hotel, camp ground, etc?

bpfamily

rove around
I'm packing plenty of food and drink and rolling with it. How many "overland experiences" were sold....hundreds, thousands and all expecting to eat from multiple food trucks between 12 and 1 each day. Just plan accordingly. We're really looking forward to Asheville.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Anybody bringing mountain bikes? We were trying to decide... didn't know if it would be good to have or just a pain to keep up with. (This is our first expo so don't really know what to expect). Thanks!
Bring your bikes. You'll at least use them to get around the venue.
Expos have lots of walking...

...wish I had one already. I rodes Dags' fully suspended bike on Saturday and me likey.

Well, not exactly nearby, as in breakfast before the show. It's in Boone, NC. If you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way to or from the show, it's easy to access. It's called the Local Lion. Damn you for reminding me about them; I'm still two thousand miles away.

I'll grab a bunch on my way down. Thanks!

GaFJC

I'm planning on fully enjoying the southern food vendors. I'll have the old Italian espresso maker that lives in Huxley ('57 107" SW) and some donuts for the morning and some IPA to accompany the food truck chow and that's about it.

Jonathan, can you remind of that awesome homemade donut place nearby?

Geraldine's in North Asheville on Merrimon Ave is absolutely worth a visit for donuts or many other kinds of delicious treats. By the way, when it's described as "North Asheville" keep in mind it's only 2.5 miles from downtown (small city).

Last edited:

GaFJC

Where is everyone staying at? I know some will camp on site but what is everyone else doing? Hotel, camp ground, etc?

If going the hotel route try to avoid Tunnel Road between the mall and the Tunnel....

Same would apply to most of the eateries in that area.

Last edited:
The OFFICIAL Overland Expo East Thread! Weekend Passes NOW AVAILABLE.

any rules we need to be aware of with regards to alcohol?
This is what I have seen;

-No drinking allowed in or before a driving class or recovery class.

-obviously no operating motor vehicles under the influence.

-No personal alcohol to be brought to happy hour or movie night. I assume their will be a bar there to purchase from.

And that seems to be all....

Sure someone will chime in shortly if I left something out,

GaFJC

I live in Asheville so if anyone needs suggestions, advice, etc related to the city please feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to assist.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
4 kids, my wife and I will be attending. She will NOT be taking classes. and my children qualify for the free status. So that would be $280 plus the $45 for her right!? =$325

That's right.

There will be lots for your wife to do - anything available to day pass holders. And we have a great kids program, the Junior Overland Explorer.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
-No drinking allowed in or before a driving class or recovery class.

-obviously no operating motor vehicles under the influence.

-No personal alcohol to be brought to happy hour or movie night. I assume there will be a bar there to purchase from.

And that seems to be all....

Sure someone will chime in shortly if I left something out,

Also, no Bud Light.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

Extra credit if you show up with Fuller's 1845.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles