The Official Dometic CFX Fridge Feed!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Hard to test voltage when the cord is plugged in and fridge running.

Impossible without making an adapter or poking holes in the insulation. Even then, it's a bypass circuit and doesn't tell you what might be happening inside the fridge circuitry that you just bypassed with your meter.

The Art of Guesswork. :)

Maybe a clamp meter would work. I don't own one.

Nah, clamp meters measure amperage with the clamp, not voltage. Useful when combined with a voltage reading like the one the fridge is doing.

If the voltage reading drops, but the amperage reading didn't go up at the same time to account for it, then there's something dodgy in the appliance circuitry (or the wiring, but I'm assuming for the moment that you're right and there's no problem with the wiring (which is not an assumption that I would make if I was standing there looking at it...never trust the user, they lie, whether they know it or not :) )).

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
What fridge/freezer would you recommend to replace the 3 way in my 04 FWC grandby ? Also AC/DC or just DC?

It really depends on the space you have available. We just introduced our CFX3 line and there are sizes available from 35L to 100L. If you are looking for ice making the CFX3 55IM would be the ticket. All of these can run on AC and DC. DC with dedicated wiring would be best in your vehicle. What type of battery set up do you have to power your cooler?

Here is a link to our CFX3 Mega Thread that has info that might be helpful.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Dirt Rider

It really depends on the space you have available. We just introduced our CFX3 line and there are sizes available from 35L to 100L. If you are looking for ice making the CFX3 55IM would be the ticket. All of these can run on AC and DC. DC with dedicated wiring would be best in your vehicle. What type of battery set up do you have to power your cooler?

Here is a link to our CFX3 Mega Thread that has info that might be helpful.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

I have a 100AH AGM (No solar) right now, but wont be camping more than a couple of days without driving and recharging, if it last that long I would be happy. my old 3 way is a standard size that they put in FWC and big rigs, will have to break out the exact dimensions.

Dometic

I have a 100AH AGM (No solar) right now, but wont be camping more than a couple of days without driving and recharging, if it last that long I would be happy. my old 3 way is a standard size that they put in FWC and big rigs, will have to break out the exact dimensions.

I posted up a bunch of information on energy consumption in our CFX3 Mega Thread. Given that info you should be able to:

run a 100L CFX3 for about 48 hours if you have the internal temp set to 39 F and it's 90 F outside
run a 100L CFX3 for about 17 hours if you have the internal temp set to 5 F and it's 90 F outside

run a 35L CFX3 for about 80 hours if you have an internal temp set to 39 F and it's 90F outside
run a 35L CFX3 for about 29 hours if you have an internal temp set to 5 F and it's 90F outside

Caveats
  • your 100AH AGM is secondary battery (not your start battery), in good condition, and relatively new
  • your charging system fully charges the AGM battery
  • you've got dedicated wiring from the battery to the cooler plug
  • you've got no other parasitic consumption on the battery

Assumptions:
  • 80% max depth of discharge = 80AH

Bottom line - you should be able to select any one of our CFX3 units and it will work well given how often you'd be driving/recharging the AGM every couple of days.

We do recommend that before you go out that you do some trial runs in your driveway to get a feel for energy consumption given how/what you pack, how often you open the unit, etc.

Hope this helps!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dirt Rider

I posted up a bunch of information on energy consumption in our CFX3 Mega Thread. Given that info you should be able to:

run a 100L CFX3 for about 48 hours if you have the internal temp set to 39 F and it's 90 F outside
run a 100L CFX3 for about 17 hours if you have the internal temp set to 5 F and it's 90 F outside

run a 35L CFX3 for about 80 hours if you have an internal temp set to 39 F and it's 90F outside
run a 35L CFX3 for about 29 hours if you have an internal temp set to 5 F and it's 90F outside

Caveats
  • your 100AH AGM is secondary battery (not your start battery), in good condition, and relatively new
  • your charging system fully charges the AGM battery
  • you've got dedicated wiring from the battery to the cooler plug
  • you've got no other parasitic consumption on the battery

Assumptions:
  • 80% max depth of discharge = 80AH

Bottom line - you should be able to select any one of our CFX3 units and it will work well given how often you'd be driving/recharging the AGM every couple of days.

We do recommend that before you go out that you do some trial runs in your driveway to get a feel for energy consumption given how/what you pack, how often you open the unit, etc.

Hope this helps!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Wow lots of great info, many thanks for the very thorough reply! Yes the 100 AGM is the house battery and charges well off the alternator, sounds like it will be what I am looking for, just need to find one with the right dimensions.

Dometic

So, are you suggesting to run an AGM battery down to 80% discharge?
I don’t think that’s how you’re supposed to do it.

No necessarily. I was using a recommended 20% lowest state of charge as one of the assumptions in the calculations I provided.

Also, the assumptions provided were for this 100AH AGM being a secondary battery. If a starter battery, SOC limit would be much higher since you wouldn't want a no start situation. ?

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Last edited:

Dometic

Wow lots of great info, many thanks for the very thorough reply! Yes the 100 AGM is the house battery and charges well off the alternator, sounds like it will be what I am looking for, just need to find one with the right dimensions.

Throwing out another idea...if dimensions are an issue and you'd like to have a more portable solution. Check out our PLB40. It's light, small, and can be taken anywhere.

There have been some good reviews posted here on the forum so it might be another option for you.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

billiebob

I want A Dometic Fridge Freezer but I want to see it before/when I buy it. I have not found a dealer with any in stock in the Pacific Northwest. I need it to fit a 2L milk plus a 2L pop plus food for one. Maybe ice cubes for one too.

I'm going to the BC Overland Rally in Whistler, BC this June. Will you guys be there ?

I'm thinking a CRX 80/100/110.

55_63_dometic_crx1110s_9105306516_45563_11.png

If you guys had pictures with product in the fridge, like this, we could better judge which size we need.
And I likely would have bought one by now.

norcold-ev0041-open-view.jpeg

Dometic

I want A Dometic Fridge Freezer but I want to see it before/when I buy it. I have not found a dealer with any in stock in the Pacific Northwest. I need it to fit a 2L milk plus a 2L pop plus food for one. Maybe ice cubes for one too.

I'm going to the BC Overland Rally in Whistler, BC this June. Will you guys be there ?

I'm thinking a CRX 80/100/110.

View attachment 569352

If you guys had pictures with product in the fridge, like this, we could better judge which size we need.
And I likely would have bought one by now.

View attachment 569354

Unfortunately, we won't be at that event. We posted our current event schedule here a couple of days ago if you'll happen to be near one of these.

I can't really speak to the fridge/freezer space as our group focuses on the mobile coolers (like our new CFX3 line). That said, you can find exterior dimensional information for the CRX80/100/110 under the product page for each and clicking on documents to download the owner's manual for that model. Here is the owner's manual for the CRX80 and it has the dimensions for the models on pages 11 and 12. Again, these are exterior but you should be able to compare these to some of the items you'll likely load it with.

In the meantime, I'll pass on the feedback to the fridge/freezer team as it's a good suggestion!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

Many thanks,

Can you give me a link to the guys who deal with the fridges ?
Thx Bill

Are you looking for dealers? For all the truck fridge/freezers, dealers are the best connection point. As far as I know none of that team are active here on the forum.

Here is a link to help you find the nearest dealer. Just plug in your zip code - they are pretty dispersed around the country so you may want to reach out to several of them over the phone.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

billiebob

Are you looking for dealers? For all the truck fridge/freezers, dealers are the best connection point. As far as I know none of that team are active here on the forum.

Here is a link to help you find the nearest dealer. Just plug in your zip code - they are pretty dispersed around the country so you may want to reach out to several of them over the phone.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

I've called every dealer listed within 500 miles. So far everyone I talk to has zero product inventory, they just want me to place a non returnable order. I have not looked at any other manufacturers yet but I'll buy something this summer.... probably from the first dealer with what I need in stock. It might be used, from the sounds of things it might not be Dometic.

Dometic

I've called every dealer listed within 500 miles. So far everyone I talk to has zero product inventory, they just want me to place a non returnable order. I have not looked at any other manufacturers yet but I'll buy something this summer.... probably from the first dealer with what I need in stock. It might be used, from the sounds of things it might not be Dometic.

I've reached out internally to see if I can get you a better contact. I don't personally know anyone in that group so it may take a bit before I have something for you.

Thanks

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles