The Official Dometic CFX Fridge Feed!

rickc

Adventurer
karmabiker: I haven't checked my max amp draw but I calculated the theoretical max to be around 7.5A at the max rated 95W in the manual; my fridge is a big CFX75DWZ fridge/freezer. I run my fridge side at 3C and freezer at -17C. Your 20A draw spike suggests that there is a mechanical issue with the compressor. Is it noisy when running?

karmabiker

karmabiker: I haven't checked my max amp draw but I calculated the theoretical max to be around 7.5A at the max rated 95W in the manual; my fridge is a big CFX75DWZ fridge/freezer. I run my fridge side at 3C and freezer at -17C. Your 20A draw spike suggests that there is a mechanical issue with the compressor. Is it noisy when running?

It is noisy but not crazy noisy. I don't really have a point of reference...

And I'm running at +1C

Superduty

Adventurer
Per one test the fridge is spiking to 20 amps per my VOM... I gave up on the 8 amp and went to 10 amp fuzes to get some extra head room. - Haven't tried 24V as I don't have a 24v source.

How high of an ambient temp to other folks run their fridges in regularly?

@DometicOutdoors any suggestions?

I'm hardly an expert in this area. However, I have read on the ARB fridges is to use 10ga wire or 8 ga. I know what the charts say and I was ready to wire it with 12 ga, then after reading a bunch of stuff online, I decided to go with 10 ga. The ARB hard wire kit comes with 10ga wire. I can't explain why 10 ga is recommended, but it is.

Why not try some 10 ga wire and seeif you have a different result?

karmabiker

I'm hardly an expert in this area. However, I have read on the ARB fridges is to use 10ga wire or 8 ga. I know what the charts say and I was ready to wire it with 12 ga, then after reading a bunch of stuff online, I decided to go with 10 ga. The ARB hard wire kit comes with 10ga wire. I can't explain why 10 ga is recommended, but it is.

Why not try some 10 ga wire and seeif you have a different result?

Worth a shot ... just a real pain in the ass to rewire the fridge. I don't really have time to do a 3 day out of the rig test with all of the camping we are doing. I'll try to rewire this weekend and report back.

Chris

U145505

I Just bought a DOMETIC CFX 65W that is running on a Group 24 RC140 deep cycle through a 2000w inverter. However, the fridge is killing my battery in around 3-5 hours. Battery is brand new. Battery saver setting is low. I think the vents are clear enough. I put waters and some food, some frozen water bottles and it’s still draining down quick. It sounds like this is not normal based some others posting their fridge lasting 24+ hours. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Varano14

I Just bought a DOMETIC CFX 65W that is running on a Group 24 RC140 deep cycle through a 2000w inverter. However, the fridge is killing my battery in around 3-5 hours. Battery is brand new. Battery saver setting is low. I think the vents are clear enough. I put waters and some food, some frozen water bottles and it’s still draining down quick. It sounds like this is not normal based some others posting their fridge lasting 24+ hours. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

From what I’ve read running it through 12v is more efficient if that’s not what your doing now might be worth a try.

rickc

Adventurer
Superduty/karmabiker: The use of big gauge wire is all about voltage drop; if the distance from the battery to fridge is short like in my case, small, 12V, wire gauges work fine as the voltage drop is tiny however, if you are running a fridge in the back from a battery up in the engine compartment, then voltage drop is inevitable and big wire gauges mitigate this. These fridges have battery protection circuits, often adjustable (mine has three levels) so eventually the voltage will drop and the fridge will switch off.

U145505: Why are you running the fridge through the inverter and not using a 12V supply? Inverters are not as efficient and they typically have a dead load of around 15W or more from the battery even when not being used; mine has an on/off switch but some have a sleep mode that automatically detects that it's not being used and goes to sleep. This is a feature of more expensive inverters and it's unlikely you have it on your little 2000W one so it will be drawing power even when the fridge is on an off cycle. Where is your battery in relation to your fridge? Close or far apart? You are correct about your draw down rate; it's way too fast; my CFX75 DZW takes three days in fridge mode to draw down my 105Ah battery from 100 to 75% (highest battery protection setting) when used as a fridge. Do you have access to another deep cycle battery that you could borrow to make a test? Even new batteries can be duds.

U145505

Superduty/karmabiker: The use of big gauge wire is all about voltage drop; if the distance from the battery to fridge is short like in my case, small, 12V, wire gauges work fine as the voltage drop is tiny however, if you are running a fridge in the back from a battery up in the engine compartment, then voltage drop is inevitable and big wire gauges mitigate this. These fridges have battery protection circuits, often adjustable (mine has three levels) so eventually the voltage will drop and the fridge will switch off.

U145505: Why are you running the fridge through the inverter and not using a 12V supply? Inverters are not as efficient and they typically have a dead load of around 15W or more from the battery even when not being used; mine has an on/off switch but some have a sleep mode that automatically detects that it's not being used and goes to sleep. This is a feature of more expensive inverters and it's unlikely you have it on your little 2000W one so it will be drawing power even when the fridge is on an off cycle. Where is your battery in relation to your fridge? Close or far apart? You are correct about your draw down rate; it's way too fast; my CFX75 DZW takes three days in fridge mode to draw down my 105Ah battery from 100 to 75% (highest battery protection setting) when used as a fridge. Do you have access to another deep cycle battery that you could borrow to make a test? Even new batteries can be duds.

Do you mean 12V supply from my truck outlets? If so, my truck cuts all power to my outlets after 75min, battery saver mode. I thought the inverter was the way to go. It’s a 12ft run of 4G cable to my inverter. Batteries in my Eng. comp. and the fridge/inverter are in my cab. My inverter draws about 1amp. I’ll try another battery and see how it works.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

A) That battery is small. Probably only around 55 amp*hours. Also, RC140 means reserve capacity. True deep cycle batteries don't list reserve capacity in the specs (or cranking amps) - just amp*hours at different hourly rates. "Marine" batteries (which are generally not true deep cycle) usually do list the reserve capacity (and the cranking amps).

B) A 2000w inverter is not small. It's big. Depending on quality, it could be adding a little more load to the battery than running the fridge direct to battery...or a LOT more load.

C) The battery saver is for when connected direct to battery. It does nothing when running from 110v.

D) When you first load the fridge with food, it will work harder to bring the temp down. Once eveything is cold, then it won't work as hard.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
E) Inverter draws 1a just idling. When actually supplying a 110v load, it draws more, and also has a conversion efficiency to consider. Good ones might be 95% efficient. Cheap ones might only be 80% efficient.

U145505

E) Inverter draws 1a just idling. When actually supplying a 110v load, it draws more, and also has a conversion efficiency to consider. Good ones might be 95% efficient. Cheap ones might only be 80% efficient.
Awesome info, thank you!

karmabiker

Rick,
Appreciate the input...

Mine doesn't even get to the battery saver mode. Fuse pops while still in the 12V range. Given the length of run and the 8 amp peak draw on the CF-80 14g could handle the load with minimal drop. I'm running 12 at the moment, 10 shouldn't make a darn bit of difference but I'm grasping at straws. IMHO it is either the board or the compressor in the fridge and not something in my setup.

For reference:
Dual battery setup:
AGM Deep Cycle Battery
Lensun 60W solar
Victron Solar Controller with bluetooth connectivity (shows great stats)
4G wire to the fuse block
12G 10 foot run to the fridge

Chris

rickc

Adventurer
Chris: I'm at a loss to explain why the fridge would be pulling high amps and blowing fuses other than a mechanical or even electrical issue with the compressor or an intermittent electrical short in your power delivery to the fridge. I would call/contact Dometic directly.

karmabiker

Chris: I'm at a loss to explain why the fridge would be pulling high amps and blowing fuses other than a mechanical or even electrical issue with the compressor or an intermittent electrical short in your power delivery to the fridge. I would call/contact Dometic directly.

Rick,
I have called Dometic ... they have quit responding to my e-mails and can't find a service center in Denver or Colorado Springs that can spell cooler much less CF-80. That's why I took to the forums.

Chris

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94