The Official Bacon Thread. (Got your attention?)

huachuca

Adventurer
The shipping seems high but it looks like they're located an hour or so from our favorite camping area in the Smokies so we'll likely check them out in a few weeks. Thanks for posting.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I saw the Bourdain episode with my wife. I love pork. specifically ham & bacon. I'm from the south y'all. Anyway, my wife ordered 4 lbs for Christmas one year. It lasted all through the holidays and is absolutely delicious. If you've never had old world cured bacon or ham, you simply do not know what you're missing. Truly a delicacy. It's not food, it's an experience.

Machinebuilder

I guess I get to be “that guy” today....

You do know that the World Health Organization tells us “processed meats” are now classified as a group 1 carcinogen, meaning scientists were certain that there was “sufficient” evidence that they caused cancer, particularly colon cancer. Bacon is, of course, a processed meat. Here is a good article on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

Let the flaming begin!

Let me be THAT GUY

I live pretty close to Bentons, there are articles in the media constantly about his business

I am fairly certain there are no nitrates used in the making of Bentons bacon, country ham, or Prosciutto (MMMMMMMM)

They use locally raised organic blah blah blah hogs, and use the old time methods to cure the meat. most of the cure is salt and sugar with spices, After it cures for the appropriate time it is smoked using a real hickory smoke.

It is some of the best bacon available and is shipped to the finest restaurants in the country. Everybody brags about their country ham (I don't like it due to the saltiness).

If you have the chance to stop there try the Prosciutto (he went to italy to learn how to make it). Also if you are there when they are slicing the country ham you can get as many hocks as you want, great for cooking a big pot of beans, I sugest soaking them for a couple days to get some of the salt out.

Their products are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Let me be THAT GUY

I live pretty close to Bentons, there are articles in the media constantly about his business

I am fairly certain there are no nitrates used in the making of Bentons bacon, country ham, or Prosciutto (MMMMMMMM)

They use locally raised organic blah blah blah hogs, and use the old time methods to cure the meat. most of the cure is salt and sugar with spices, After it cures for the appropriate time it is smoked using a real hickory smoke.

It is some of the best bacon available and is shipped to the finest restaurants in the country. Everybody brags about their country ham (I don't like it due to the saltiness).

If you have the chance to stop there try the Prosciutto (he went to italy to learn how to make it). Also if you are there when they are slicing the country ham you can get as many hocks as you want, great for cooking a big pot of beans, I sugest soaking them for a couple days to get some of the salt out.

Their products are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Sounds awesome. But I am willing to bet they are an exception to the rule... how much of their bacon does an average person consume as opposed to the “regular” unhealthy kind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grump E-Vet

Prop 65 WARNING: This thread does not contain any chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer

Howboutnah? I am sure DiFi and Komrade Kamala would want to ban this for being evil, black and scary!

79796A29-8D8B-4F1B-927C-C98CDB09157F.jpeg

You do know that the World Health Organization tells us “processed meats” are now classified as a group 1 carcinogen, meaning scientists were certain that there was “sufficient” evidence that they caused cancer, particularly colon cancer. Bacon is, of course, a processed meat. Here is a good article on it:

I have some meat the WHO can process... Seriosuly though I have worked with them in places like Somalia, the DRC, Haiti and Afghanistan. What a backwards ass organization they are long elaborate planning and theory, but short on practical knowledge to get it done on the ground.

GHI

Adventurer
The scary thing is that tactical bacon is $31.15 for a 9 ounce can on Amazon. The evil part is that it's Yoders canned bacon with a different label which sells for $24. So, a $7.15 difference because of that word printed on the label. I have not consumed either one.

01tundra

Explorer
Never leave home without it!

I only use it to season my disc with....no really :LOL:.

EIuOEBO.jpg

ramatl73

Observer
Bentons is just down the road from my in-laws. Benton has actually processed some of our hogs for us in the past. The best pork in the country as far as I'm concerned.

plh

Explorer

Curing Salt has a % of Sodium Nitrate, its listed in their ingredient list. Can't make bacon or ham without a cure.

even "healthy" bacon cured with celery juice powder is just an play in advertising, because CJP contains nitrites and nitrates - but they are natural LOL.

I'm fine with that thou, because its Bacon (and Ham)

Last edited:
I get smoked bacon in 10lb boxes from our local butcher shop. Costs a bit more than the store bought stuff but so good. Local meat always tastes better ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior