The Next American Hilux?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Last edited:

Elbee

Adventurer
I've seen very similarly outfitted hiluxes at camp Bastion. Primarily we drive hiluxes, hiaces, and land rover defenders (the rest being surfs/4runners, various landcruisers and even a bunch of Tata trucks) on the bases over in the sandy area of the world. They take a beating, from the people and from the roads. You'll see quite a few up armoured 70 series and 200 series. There is even an up armored tacoma over here. The hiluxes are indeed beasts, and the hiaces I love be simplicity of them. If the diesel hiace was for sale in the USA, i think it might be great platform for a campervan.
Ah... if only diesel landcrusier, landrovers and other such awesome things could come new and fresh to our shores. Stupid chicken tax law, safety regs and 25 year import law. You can get such cheap vehicles from UAE, Singapore , and Japan. Oh well, thats life.

robert

Expedition Leader
After the amount that Toyota paid to fix or buy back rusted 1st gen Tacoma frames, I think Toyota has figured out the problem. IIRC, the frames were made by Dana and they did not apply a coating that they were supposed to during the frame mfr process.

One would think they'd have learned their lesson regarding frames but apparently not. While doing much better, there are folks having issues with their 2nd gen frames rusting- some to the point of becoming unsafe. There are threads on the various Tacoma forums discussing it along with pictures. No matter how you look at, the Japanese trucks were built better (disregarding obvious technology upgrades over time such as safety equipment).

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The biggest difference between the 2, which is the Frame. The Hilux has a fully boxed frame, like any proper truck would have, and the tacomas have an open c-channel frame. Hopefully the new hilux/tacoma will be fully boxed, and they will make it more like the hilux then the tacoma.

So I guess big rigs and unimogs are not proper trucks then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior