the new rig: 2018 Frontier Pro4x manual transmission

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Last week I went in and ordered my new truck (it's my first ever new vehicle purchase). Because it was a manual transmission model, and those are "unobtanium" here in Texas, the dealership had to order it from colorado. It arrived weds 7/25 and I picked it up that afternoon.

It's a 2018 CC Frontier Pro4x package w/manual transmission. The first time I hopped in the truck it had 10 miles on the odo. So far I am loving the truck and can't wait to build it out and take it on adventures.

During my at-home inspection, I found the factory build sheet still attached to the inside of the front bumper (see photo).

I'm going to drive it for at least 6mo before I start installing mods (at least major mods) so I can learn what it needs to suit my style of 4x4-ing. When the time comes, I will be looking to build out a 4x4 tourer style of truck (one that can handle a variety of off-roading conditions (not rock crawling through..it's not my thing) and still be comfortable for on-road trips as well).

Below is a lost of mods I would like to do in the future, let me know if y'all can recommend anything else (or have any ideas for vendors). I'm always open to new ideas. Thanks

(this list is in no particular order but pricier stuff probably won't happen right away)
front bumper replacement w/winch (ARB or shockworks probably. I like the ARB because it has antenna mounts on the top bar)
-rear bumper replacement (kaymar imports bars w/tire carriers into the US & I'm considering one of those because I want a rear tire carrier)
-ultraguage mounted on A-pillar
-rock sliders (I haven't decided on a brand at this point)
-truck bed topper (are/leer/etc)
-extend all breathers (axles, trans, x-fer case)
-overhead console (similar to this: Car Consoles & 4WD Storage Drawers - Department of the Interior - overhead consoles, roof consoles, custom built consoles, 4WD interiors, storage systems, vehicle consoles, radio console, dashboard pod, four wheel drive.)
-CB & ham radios (I have my ham license. I might install a quad-band radio to save space but it depends on price)
-185W 9in cree led driving lights (I used these on my work truck and was pleased with them. here is a link to my post about them w/pics and videos (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/20...erado-crew-cab-ls-4x4-76713/page3/#post329088)
-front recovery points (the rears will come w/whatever rear bumper I install)
-inverter
-some kind of switch system (I'm leaning towards a galls street commander. I used one of these in my old patrol unit and was pleased with how easily it functioned, and wired up. https://www.galls.com/galls-command-center-siren-with-light-control)
-stronger skid-plates
-a Jeep dash bar modified for the frontier so I can mount stuff w/out turning my truck into swiss cheese (https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jke-dock-2011-2017)

some "maybe mods" in the future:
-a small lift or stronger springs to compensate for the bumpers, once installed
-maybe a snorkel... I like how these trucks look w/snorkels and I like the ability to get clean air especially out here in dusty west TX but I'm still undecided
-possibly on-board-air if I move the rear tire to a tire carrier bumper
- I wouldn't mind having an awning but I don't know if I'll ever use one. I'm going to take it on a few trips before buying to see if I even need one.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1532636270174.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532636270174.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 107
  • FB_IMG_1532636280805 (1).jpg
    FB_IMG_1532636280805 (1).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 113
  • FB_IMG_1532636285683.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532636285683.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 112
  • FB_IMG_1532636292589.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532636292589.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 94

Patrollife

Explorer
Congrats on your purchase and have fun building it. Love the color choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc187

Observer
I have a manual pro4x. It makes going to larger tires easier. Do they still have the clutchless takeoff switch?

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Wow, I didn't even know the 4 doors came in manual! talk about unicorns!
Having just recently got onboard air.. if you plan on driving a lot of gravel it's a must have. Not because you'll get flats but because its 1000 times more comfortable driving with aired down tires.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Nice truck. That's a good list of mods. You will surely learn that you will NEED stronger springs to support the added weight of the armor. I have a 14 Pro CC with a shrock front bumper w/ 9500 lb winch, hefty sliders, hefty aluminum skids, and a camper shell with light weight sleeping platform, and I'm currently running the full OME heavy kit with 1" front spacers and SPC control arms. The added payload is greatly appreciated.

Jc1986.carter

Congrats on the new truck. I have a 2017 6-spd crew cab pro4x (arctic blue). I changed the stock tires out at 10k to 235/85r16 Cooper AT3s and added a ARE topper. The truck has performed great so far. An OME kit (heavy front, Med rear), an ARB bull bar, and some White Knuckle sliders are in the works but other than those additions and skinny 32s, I don't have much more planned. Its a shame that they don't get any love from the masses, they are very capable. Good luck with the build.

DonH

I have a manual pro4x. It makes going to larger tires easier. Do they still have the clutchless takeoff switch?
Yes, my 2019 Frontier Crew Cab Pro 4X Manual does have the clutchless takeoff switch.Not sure if/when I might need it but looking forward to trying to get to that point!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yes, my 2019 Frontier Crew Cab Pro 4X Manual does have the clutchless takeoff switch.Not sure if/when I might need it but looking forward to trying to get to that point!
More AI slipping in? Clutchless takeoff is a new one. Hopefully,it doesn't have the mindless stop/start illness.

Maverick1701

Adventurer

Yup. I have the clutch safety override switch that lets me start the truck w/out pressing the clutch.

But it's not clutchless takeoff (unless I start it in gear for some reason)... I still have to press the clutch to shift into gear start the truck moving.

(none)

Adventurer
Supposed to be used so you can start off on a steep hill off road if needed.

I use it so i can start the truck without getting in it (after making sure its in neutral). Very convenient.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Last week I went in and ordered my new truck (it's my first ever new vehicle purchase). Because it was a manual transmission model, and those are "unobtanium" here in Texas, the dealership had to order it from colorado. It arrived weds 7/25 and I picked it up that afternoon.

It's a 2018 CC Frontier Pro4x package w/manual transmission. The first time I hopped in the truck it had 10 miles on the odo. So far I am loving the truck and can't wait to build it out and take it on adventures.

During my at-home inspection, I found the factory build sheet still attached to the inside of the front bumper (see photo).

I'm going to drive it for at least 6mo before I start installing mods (at least major mods) so I can learn what it needs to suit my style of 4x4-ing. When the time comes, I will be looking to build out a 4x4 tourer style of truck (one that can handle a variety of off-roading conditions (not rock crawling through..it's not my thing) and still be comfortable for on-road trips as well).

Below is a lost of mods I would like to do in the future, let me know if y'all can recommend anything else (or have any ideas for vendors). I'm always open to new ideas. Thanks

(this list is in no particular order but pricier stuff probably won't happen right away)
front bumper replacement w/winch (ARB or shockworks probably. I like the ARB because it has antenna mounts on the top bar)
-rear bumper replacement (kaymar imports bars w/tire carriers into the US & I'm considering one of those because I want a rear tire carrier)
-ultraguage mounted on A-pillar
-rock sliders (I haven't decided on a brand at this point)
-truck bed topper (are/leer/etc)
-extend all breathers (axles, trans, x-fer case)
-overhead console (similar to this: Car Consoles & 4WD Storage Drawers - Department of the Interior - overhead consoles, roof consoles, custom built consoles, 4WD interiors, storage systems, vehicle consoles, radio console, dashboard pod, four wheel drive.)
-CB & ham radios (I have my ham license. I might install a quad-band radio to save space but it depends on price)
-185W 9in cree led driving lights (I used these on my work truck and was pleased with them. here is a link to my post about them w/pics and videos (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/20...erado-crew-cab-ls-4x4-76713/page3/#post329088)
-front recovery points (the rears will come w/whatever rear bumper I install)
-inverter
-some kind of switch system (I'm leaning towards a galls street commander. I used one of these in my old patrol unit and was pleased with how easily it functioned, and wired up. https://www.galls.com/galls-command-center-siren-with-light-control)
-stronger skid-plates
-a Jeep dash bar modified for the frontier so I can mount stuff w/out turning my truck into swiss cheese (https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jke-dock-2011-2017)

some "maybe mods" in the future:
-a small lift or stronger springs to compensate for the bumpers, once installed
-maybe a snorkel... I like how these trucks look w/snorkels and I like the ability to get clean air especially out here in dusty west TX but I'm still undecided
-possibly on-board-air if I move the rear tire to a tire carrier bumper
- I wouldn't mind having an awning but I don't know if I'll ever use one. I'm going to take it on a few trips before buying to see if I even need one.

If you plan on upgrading to an ARB or Shrock front bumper with winch, I'd look at upgrading the Coilovers or springs to a 600 or 650# spring rate. Or go with a Hefty Aluminum bumper FB_IMG_1565020030874.jpg
Love my Shrock. I have a 10K Engo synthetic with Radflo 2.5 650# springs up front

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94