The New Conti MPT81 Sneak Peak (and PSI question)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Got my tires mounted and on the truck (link below to YouTube).

Curious what yall running for pressure in these? Figure this would be a good place to ask.

Also, heres something weird...

When local tire shop went to order them via the part # i gave them, told me they were discontinued, i said no way, theyve been out for ever.

Longggg story short after they spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Continental... They have replaced the older style with what they are calling the "Next Generation"

Oddly though, no one at Continental seems to know what the difference is between these and the old ones, and the tire shop spoke to 3 different people at Conti while i was there.

You can see in this pic, they look a little different, and have a little graphic patter thing, but the tread is the same.

Time will tell..

tiressmallforFORUM.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
nice truck...this tyres and size where on my Unimog when I bought it ,now I use 365 80, I was using 50 psi for highways and a bit les for offroad , but it depends of how heavy is the RAM, my mog is 6 tons , so I can imagine you can use a bit less ....
Im curious to see your project, enjoy

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
nice truck...this tyres and size where on my Unimog when I bought it ,now I use 365 80, I was using 50 psi for highways and a bit les for offroad , but it depends of how heavy is the RAM, my mog is 6 tons , so I can imagine you can use a bit less ....
Im curious to see your project, enjoy

Thank you! Your truck is gorgeous also!

Thanks for the info! I will try 50psi for now

Pearsggg

Hey there, I’m thinking of running these same tires but am concerned with the maximum speed rating as I could barely keep up with traffic on a couple twinned highway stretches if I followed the specifications on the tires. Can you let me know what your experience is and if you’d run them at 70-75mph for a few hours while getting out to the backroads or single lane highways?

pairospam

Observer
Hi there, RAM5500:

Nice truck, indeed, and the Continentals make it look even better.

Everytime I know about a "new generation" of something means that the price is now higher, and nothing more. Just a thought.

Sarcasm apart, the specs on the tyre must be followed if you want them to last and perform as expected. Maybe they are not made for 70-75mph despite what pressure you put in them.

It is also a safety issue.

Greetings.

Pairoa

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey there, I’m thinking of running these same tires but am concerned with the maximum speed rating as I could barely keep up with traffic on a couple twinned highway stretches if I followed the specifications on the tires. Can you let me know what your experience is and if you’d run them at 70-75mph for a few hours while getting out to the backroads or single lane highways?

The Max Speed rating states right on the tire thats that the rating under FULL LOAD. I will not be anywhere near full load on these. EVER

With that being said, i rarely drive over 70mph anyway. I am all about the MPGs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles