The new 7.3 - how is it

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^you must have gotten one of the factory flashes that isn't supposed to get out to the public ;-)

My version of hypermiling in a modern turbodiesel is basically periods of almost WOT followed by coasting - I actually think with this you can get better mileage in the hills than on flat ground. (Diesels very efficient under high load and use zero fuel when coasting in gear)

skrypj

Thanks. Any idea if this is something the dealer can do or do I need to find someone with the right hardware to do it?

My understanding is that the Ford IDS(dealers tool) system can only set the tire size to whatever the factory Ford options are. So for a superduty it might be able to go up to a 35 because of the Tremor but that is it.

Forscan can change the size to the exact millimeter if you want. At least on my F150 it can. It does have all the factory Ford default sizes including the raptors 315/70R17 but you can override it with a custom value.

Trixxx

^you must have gotten one of the factory flashes that isn't supposed to get out to the public ;-)

My version of hypermiling in a modern turbodiesel is basically periods of almost WOT followed by coasting - I actually think with this you can get better mileage in the hills than on flat ground. (Diesels very efficient under high load and use zero fuel when coasting in gear)

I don‘t know much about hypermilling, but my general “assumption” for best fuel mileage would be the slowest speed you can go while in the highest gear. In the case of my 2020 6.7, that’s around 50-55 mph to maintain 10th gear.

Rolling at 1200 rpm at 55 mph is A pretty good sweet spot.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ I suspect this is true for gas motors. For diesel, not so sure. Aren't they most efficient under full load?

Unscientific testing with my sportwagen TDI, on the highway it gets around 45mpg with the cruise set. A trip up into the mountains and back, using this kind of pulse/hypermiling driving, I'll get back home indicating better than that.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Every engine has a "sweet spot" with regards to efficiency.

Beyond that it's a matter of how much torque is required to maintain your speed,
and how much fuel is required to produce that torque.

That's why we have silly XX-speed trucks with multiple overdrive transmissions these days.... It makes it easier to nail down that sweet spot, almost regardless of speed. (y)

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks. Any idea if this is something the dealer can do or do I need to find someone with the right hardware to do it?

It's super easy to do yourself. If you don't feel comfortable, you can always use social media to find someone in your area that can do it.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
We’ve had a few class C motor homes go through the shop with the new 7.3. When you first start them up the cold idle almost sounds a little rowdy. It’s kinda funny considering the average demographic of a class c buyer.

Love my 2020 F-250 7.3 with 3.55. I have a high rise aluminum shell on the back that sticks up 6 inches. I travel at 60-65 mph and can get up to 17-18 mpg. If I drive 75 it’s about 14-15.

Towing my 6500 pound camper that’s only 7’ wide and under 10’ tall I get 10-11 mpg at around 65 mpg. Towing my mini excavator at 12k gross it’s about 9 mpg.

Summer average mpg without towing is 12-12.5. And winter average with idle time is 10-10.5.

It’s such a joy with the 10 speed transmission.

2f2875ced6d25aa453af02fa8cf05447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Love my 2020 F-250 7.3 with 3.55. I have a high rise aluminum shell on the back that sticks up 6 inches. I travel at 60-65 mph and can get up to 17-18 mpg. If I drive 75 it’s about 14-15.

Towing my 6500 pound camper that’s only 7’ wide and under 10’ tall I get 10-11 mpg at around 65 mpg. Towing my mini excavator at 12k gross it’s about 9 mpg.

Summer average mpg without towing is 12-12.5. And winter average with idle time is 10-10.5.

It’s such a joy with the 10 speed transmission.

2f2875ced6d25aa453af02fa8cf05447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks like a great setup! What kind of trailer is that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles