The new 7.3 - how is it

Trixxx

Guys, I know you're being casual about to but 13 to 15 is better than the new Powerstroke and Cummins are getting. Hell it's better than the 10mpg my 6.0 Vortec turd gets by a mile. All while delivering 50% more torque. Wow.

Huh? Based on what? The powerstroke towing a 40’ trailer?

I have about 23k miles on my 2020 powerstroke. Even with my leveling kit and 37’s I’ll get 18-19 mpg at 70-75 mph all day long. If I were to drop down to 55 mph, 22-23 mpg could definitely be achievable.

Attachments

• 6C06C66A-2C82-475C-B08E-5A1D4FBF2D0E.jpeg
    6C06C66A-2C82-475C-B08E-5A1D4FBF2D0E.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 46

Chorky

Observer
Mileage seems to be worse than my OBS. Interesting... What about what the book says for maintenance intervals? Although, suppose I could look up that bit myself.

D

Deleted member 9101

FYI, Fuelly has the Tundra at 14 mpg and the F250 7.3 at 11.5 mpg. Pretty substantial difference. And my Tundra with 35s averages >16 around town (not many stops). On the freeway at 75-80 it's 15-16 typically.

Both of my Tundra's got 11-12 in town and 16-18 on the HW....which is about the same as my F250 with the 6.2 at work with 500-1000lbs in the bed...lol.

With the way I drive...the 7.3 and 10 speed would most likely net the same MPG as a Tundra.

phsycle

Adventurer
FYI, Fuelly has the Tundra at 14 mpg and the F250 7.3 at 11.5 mpg. Pretty substantial difference. And my Tundra with 35s averages >16 around town (not many stops). On the freeway at 75-80 it's 15-16 typically.

Yeah, but don’t forget to disclose yours is a single cab, if I remember right.

And another factor may be the HD’s typically are used for actual truck duties. ie Towing and Hauling.

oneenv

Guys, I know you're being casual about to but 13 to 15 is better than the new Powerstroke and Cummins are getting. Hell it's better than the 10mpg my 6.0 Vortec turd gets by a mile. All while delivering 50% more torque. Wow.

2021 Ram 2500 Cummins - 18-20 mpg @ 76/78 mph highway all day long. High 500’s range - even crossed into 600’s dropping to 72 mph cruise. Absurdly efficient from my diesel novice perspective. I’m new to the platform so reliability remains in question…

rruff

Explorer
Yeah, but don’t forget to disclose yours is a single cab, if I remember right.

It's a double cab + 8ft bed... it's the big one.

With the way I drive...the 7.3 and 10 speed would most likely net the same MPG as a Tundra.

Yet Fuelly has them 14 mpg vs 11.5 mpg. Everyone's use case is different, but I think their data from hundreds of vehicles is good for comparison.

And another factor may be the HD’s typically are used for actual truck duties. ie Towing and Hauling.

Somewhat skewed certainly... though I think Fuelly would be personal vehicles, and the great majority of F250s I see are hauling nothing more than a payload of people.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

That's not accurate at all. I see 17-18 in town and 19-21 on the highway hand calculated and corrected speedo in my 3500 CTD on 37's. Most of the Fuelly numbers for diesel trucks are from those posting while towing/loaded.

Porkchopexpress

I had a 2010 Tundra with crew cab for about 5 years. I never saw 18 mpg, even highway. I'm guessing that I am seeing 2-3 mpg less in my F350 than my Tundra the way I drive in similar terrain. I'm guessing with a load or towing, that difference would narrow to pretty much nothing. I bought the truck to haul a camper so the empty mpg isn't a huge concern.

I have never lifted or increased tire size on my trucks.

Chorky

Observer
I had a 2010 Tundra with crew cab for about 5 years. I never saw 18 mpg, even highway. I'm guessing that I am seeing 2-3 mpg less in my F350 than my Tundra the way I drive in similar terrain. I'm guessing with a load or towing, that difference would narrow to pretty much nothing. I bought the truck to haul a camper so the empty mpg isn't a huge concern.

I have never lifted or increased tire size on my trucks.
I would be curious what your calculated loaded mpg would be. If you ever get that.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Huh? Based on what? The powerstroke towing a 40’ trailer?

I have about 23k miles on my 2020 powerstroke. Even with my leveling kit and 37’s I’ll get 18-19 mpg at 70-75 mph all day long. If I were to drop down to 55 mph, 22-23 mpg could definitely be achievable.

All righty, I'll step in it right now. I know how these conversations go. If you can get 23 in that beast, I'll eat my shoe. And my shoe is GROSS. Does it give you free cable TV too? ;)

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
My 6.0 Chevy gets 14mpg highway on bald 33’s.

Mine moves a bigazz 3500HD around like the Egyptians moved the great pyramid stones. It makes more noise than power. It on its 2nd engine, which at 7500 miles just dropped oil pressure. Again. Oil pump (fingers crossed I didn't blow a rod), a very very well known issue, requires dropping the pan, the diff, front engine cover, timing cover, front clip, dancing around in swirls doing a rain dance for seven hours, etc. Did I mention it's a turd? I can squeeze 12 to 13 if I'm light in the foot. Most often I'm at 10 or 11 because: Utah hills and trailers. A curse upon Chevy for the LS engine design.

That new 7.3 looks awful nice. Should be pretty easy to get more power and torque out of as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online