The Mule's resurrection (99 Explorer Sport)

6gun

As a fellow Exploder owner I have to say I LOVE it! I will however take exception to the comment of no available aftermarket, there are plenty of cheap chinese replacement parts and more stereo info than you could ever need!

TeamKarkos

As a fellow Exploder owner I have to say I LOVE it! I will however take exception to the comment of no available aftermarket, there are plenty of cheap chinese replacement parts and more stereo info than you could ever need!
Don't forget the huge array of Ranger parts that "kind of fit if you modify them" .

TeamKarkos

So we have been using the crap out of the mule to make sure it will hold up to our first true overland experience. So far it has performed fantastic. It did have to go back to the trans shop for a defective shift solenoid causing the dreaded 2-3 shift flare. I had it back in a day and it's rock solid now. Truly happy with the ride and off road ability so far. I'm getting 16-17 mpg which gives me a decent range. I'm planning on putting an extra tank in where the spare tire was to give me extended range. My goal is a 400-500 range without external cans.

Yes we did the #XPAF thing and signed up to Overland Bound. I think the badge goes will with the pinstripes.

On a side note: The tires that I picked up from Amazon are Mile Star Patagonias and they are awesome! Really great off road and good overall road manners. They are also fairly quiet for the way they look. I do have a full size spare on the way so we can do a few fall trips...maybe Silver Lake Michigan before that...I don't know...I don't if there's going to be time...

IMG_0674.JPG

xlULLoT6TkOqlWqZMdTNtA.jpg
IMG_0666.JPG

TeamKarkos

This is the latest addition to the arsenal. Tested it out and it does a really nice job airing the 33's up. Quiet too. I've also picked up some new idler pulleys and a new belt. As I said the Gambler 500 was the inspiration for the build so just enhancing reliability at this point. I have looked into replacing the CB with a GMRS unit but decided to stick with the handheld GMRS and keep the CB too. We have a few big trips targeted for next spring/early summer. My wife is still trying to convince me to lift her High Country and use that but that sounds far too reliable for me.
Ei6sxD1rSnuBm21eFV%2AQ.jpg

6gun

Truck's looking good! Hope hunting season treated you well! Getting ready to order new tires for mine now! I'm gonna look into those patagonias

TeamKarkos

Some new additions to The Mule

On a recent venture through Ohio it was evident that the old shocks were...well they sucked.

Indeed they did and in spite of my budget approach, up to this moment, I went for some Rancho 9000s and WOW what a difference they made

TeamKarkos

We also added this little beauty to our build. $384 dollars and we have one more piece of the Overland Starter kit is in place...

TeamKarkos

A few more items have been on my mind. The first of which is a new roof rack to replace the factory cross bars. This one needs to support the basket and a future RTT. I machined stainless still carriage bolt which will be the attachment point for the base. It will be built out of 1 inch square steel.

TeamKarkos

More to come on the roof rack in the near future. I had to get some new legs for the back. Admittedly, I cheaped out this time...but hey, they are still Ranchos.

TeamKarkos

Some new 12v goodies to run power to the back of the rig. More to come on this also. 513569

The top is a main fuse with a slick little digital voltage read out...very cool. The bottom in a power distribution block with fuses.

TeamKarkos

Ooh...new bump stops are going on front and back because, well we caught some air on the last trip and yes the 33's rub a little...

TeamKarkos

We also recently took a trip through Ohio. All work and no play make Chad a dull boy.

We stopped at a little diner along the way and got a sweet poser shot in the parking lot because #doitforthegram

It was raining...like raining a lot. I thought I might have to change the name from the Mule to The Ark, so we found a few things to do inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles