The Memorial F150 Craptor.

dbhost

My wife and I were squeezing an overlander build in so we could travel more, off the beaten path as it were.

Unfortunately my wifes family is the history of diabetes, and, well, she passed away due to complications of Diabetes on July 19th.

I am scrapping the 2 person design for the camper shell overlander, and I am going to continue the build and go on with our travel plans as I feel now I MUST do them more now than at any point ever before, including going fishing with her hot pink sparkly collapsible fishing pole...

So as a bucket list I am proceeding with the changed build, so here goes.

Photos pending. Sorry I can't find them at the moment, but I wanted to start the build thread for my '04 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 5.4L 3V.

So here is the status so far.

Truck.
2004 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 5.4L 3V. Engine rebuild in progress. All upgraded hardware with TSB fixes on the VCT system, and an upgraded Melling Hi Flow oil pump. 9.75" rear with 3.55 gears.
Go Rhino Brush Guard / winch bumper.
Engo E9000 (largest allowable with the winch bumper) 9K winch.
Rancho Quicklift 2.5" fitted with Moog HD coils, RS9000 shocks.
Moog Problem Solver upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends.
PowerStop slotted / dimpled rotors and Ceramic pads.
Explorer ProComp Stainless Steel off road lights. These predate LEDs.
AirRAID cold air intake
SCT XCal2.
Magnaflow high flow cats
Pro Comp 1089 17x9 rims x5.
35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Digger MT x5. Front fenders clearances via bead trim and fold, plastics trimming for clearance.
Duracell AGM battery
Realistic TRC-465 AM/SSB with 102" whip and 6" SS spring.
Bed Rug.
Unknown MFG Fender flares with 1.5" added tire coverage.
Towing harness, and Ford towing package tranny cooler.
Line of Fire LED accessory brake / turn / tail lights.
Haul Master hitch hauler.

Completing the truck itself build I originally wanted, I am wanting to swap the Hercules tires, all 5, out for a fresh set of BFG All Terrain TAs, and I am dropping size down from 35x12.50/17 back to 285/70R17 which I had on my first set of tires on this truck. It worked well and looked good with no rubbing.

I want to upgrade the diffs as I believe ARB now offers air lockers for the 10.25" rear and 8.8" IFS front, along with a compressor and front / rear selector switches / valves etc... Swap over to 3.73 gearing, or at most, 4.11, towing is good, highway mileage would be better.
Swap out the OE exhaust for a Summit racing 3" cat back system, cut in and graft a 2.5x2.5x3" Y pipe on the cats, and add a reasonable Magnaflow muffler. I am looking for added power, especially on the low end, not noise.
IF possible, upgrade the Pro Comp lights with LED elements just to be different, add LED cowl lights, roof rack lights, and reverse lights grafted into rear bumper.
Android auto replacement stereo system with reverse camera monitor.
Reverse cameras, Probably a tailgate handle replacement cam. This would be able to assist in trailer hitching.

I thought I had a Leer 122 available, but we were mistaken. It was for a Silverado, not an F150 and things just didn't line up...

Since it is just me, I am going to go with a Tri Fold memory foam mattress in Twin size to fit easly between the wheel wells, and fold up to a day use table. I will instead of building a bed platform, build side cabinets for storage / water / power systems

As the Craptor builder showed, using an E350 battery box, or two, mount house batteries under the truck between frame rail, and side of the bed wall...

I will use or fabricate one of those donuts that you can use to seal the back of the cab to the front of the cap and replace the OE window with a large opening slider. I want my Dog to be able to go between the cab and the bed...

Build, or add lockable compartment to hitch haul to add spare gas cans, 20lb propane cylinder, Port o Potty in transit, AND 2KW inverter generator.

Determine best mounting / stowage for recovery gear, including 2 sets of MaxxTraxx clones. One with hi lift pads, one without. Logging chain, recovery strap, D shackles, tree strap, snatch blocks etc... Right now everything BUT the MaxxTraxx clones fits under the back seat, along with plenty of trail repair tools.

I am looking at an Iceco 60qt 12v fridge, good reviews, great size, and more than enough capacity for just me but includes room to grow for a friend. This will go in the cab behind the front seats.

I know I need to be super careful with weights, and as such everything will get scrutinized 3 to 4 times before it goes in, or on...

Hopefully I don't build myself into a corner where I HAVE to upgrade to a heavy duty truck...

The stage I am in right now, the truck itself is getting picked up in about a week to go to the shop. The old 5.4 3V is getting swapped out for a new crate motor with all the TSBs applied, tranny will be pulled and all hoses etc... are to be replaced / fluids flushed and replaced. New exhaust will be installed at the time of the new engine. Probably throw new master cylinder, brake lines, and calipers at that time too...

So. What do I need?

Well if anyone has or knows of a Leer 122 for an '04-08 F150 6.5ft standard bed, at a reasonable price somewhat closeish to Texas, PLEASE let me know! I will also seriously consider a hi top aluminum contractors cap. I am not going for style, I am going for dry enclosed space and insuation ability...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Dang man I'm really sorry for your loss...Can't even imagine how hard that must be.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you will have quite the truck once all said and done.

mekcanix

Camper
I am very sorry for your loss. Thats real tough I would be lost if that happened to me.
As fer the Ford setup, I think I have some truck envy going on, wish I could help with the cap, but the prices and availability of caps, at least up here in the frozen wastes of Canada, are scarce we are looking for a cap for one of the guys I work with and its been tough, everyone thinks its a overlander type tax so there are scarce and overpriced

dbhost

I am very sorry for your loss. Thats real tough I would be lost if that happened to me.
As fer the Ford setup, I think I have some truck envy going on, wish I could help with the cap, but the prices and availability of caps, at least up here in the frozen wastes of Canada, are scarce we are looking for a cap for one of the guys I work with and its been tough, everyone thinks its a overlander type tax so there are scarce and overpriced

Yeah, it seems Chevy guys are dumping caps left and right, but there are VERY few Ford caps available near me, and none I am coming accross are Hi Top models. I want to be able to fold the trifold bed into a seat and set up a TV tray and work at my laptop. The plan is to do some workcamping for a bit while I get my head turned back the right direction.

To say I am lost is an understatement. I had a lousy first wife, but the one just recently passed was a fantastic woman in all senses of the word. She wasn't perfect, nobody is, but she was perfect for me... Diabetes is a b***. And the hits just keep coming, her next older brother, also a diabetic, went on a drinking binge after he heard about her loss. And as expected, we need to bury him too... I want the truck in shape to drive through Mexico to get him to Jalisco... Planning on burying him on their grandparents ranch.

dbhost

Oh, and since I am not doing a platform bed, the AC will be one of those tailgate panel inserts, probably freeze my scalp off but that's fine. Yes I plan on sleeping with my head toward the tailgate so I don't smash my head into the celing if I sit up in bed... Guess it doesn't matter with a contractor cap though...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I am so very sorry for your loss. Diabetes is a horrible disease, I lost a highschool girlfriend to it, and my day job is at a company that makes equipment for T1D patients.

I fully endorse your goals to take those trips. My family is doing something similar after a loss late last year.

Regarding finding a cap - I think there are still some web tools that let you set up persistent Craigslist searches that will alert you via email/etc. if something matches your criteria - I would look into this, as often these things go quick to the first person with cash.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
"Sugar's" in my family. I've been Type 11 for 25 yrs. I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm sure your wife's looking down and commending you on continuing the journey. Have fun.

dbhost

"Sugar's" in my family. I've been Type 11 for 25 yrs. I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm sure your wife's looking down and commending you on continuing the journey. Have fun.

Thank you. This has taken on an almost insance urgency now. I kind of need that cap like yesterday.

mekcanix

Camper
I have been kinda dealing with my type II for a couple of years now. Another reminder to take it more seriously

1000arms

You might want to post a thread in the WTB section. Perhaps a title of "WANTED: Leer 122 Truck Cap for an '04-08 F150 6.5ft standard bed. In/near Texas".

Maybe a first post of: "If anyone has or knows of a Leer 122 truck cap for an '04-08 F150 6.5ft standard bed, at a reasonable price somewhat close-ish to Texas, PLEASE let me know! I will also seriously consider a hi-top aluminum contractors cap. I am not going for style, I am going for dry enclosed space and insulation ability..."

Good luck! I hope you find something soon!

Kingsize24

Sorry for your loss, but I think what you are doing is absolutely amazing ?. Keep on keeping on, and I hope you catch and break many a line on her pole! ?

dbhost

So after reviewing sizes etc... I have opted and pulled the trigger on an Alpicool LGT60 60 liter LG compressor 12v fridge. Hope I didn't mess up. That will go in the back seat of the cab.

Looking for the camper shell. Hopefully something pans out.

Need to get a quote from Jasper and an installer. Need that warranty!

Got a bead on the tires, going back to BFG AT 285/70R17s chucking the 35s as they are nothing but a problem.

So my plan is to set up the truck, camper shell, and stand up an EZ Up (13x13 with the 10x10 straight leg center section) behind it for kitchen / rest area, with my Joolca Ensuite Double for the bathroom kind of off to the side, I will use 2 of those shade panels to enclose 2 sides of the EZ Up and bridge the gap between EZ Up and camper shell / close off the third side with a tarp with bungee cords such that the truck kind of closes that side off, or at least most of it. Trying to keep it simple as possible. The 4th side will have the Ensuite set up so that it partially closes it off, and still leaves a good walkway into the camp.

Need to sketch out the truck bed interior layout. May be able to do the laptop support via a swingout table. I am figuring on using a USB TV Tuner / basic antenna setup for catching news when I need to...

Last edited:

dbhost

Things on my todo list not necessarily in this order, but what I can think of.

#1. Get the repower done, get the mechanical checked over and rechecked. Once ready then, we are ready...
#2. Design and print a bracket for the Camplux. Right now all I can figure on doing is hanging it from the tailgate straps.
#3. Re-evaluate my camp furniture needs. Smaller tables since it is just me, just one folding chair etc...
#4. Set up "camp" in the driveway, even without the topper to figure out what works where before I take it off grid. Water, fuel etc... are still areas of concern. As is the capacity of the 1KW generator.

Last edited:

dbhost

Trying to figure out how to inspect it, and if I buy it get it home prior to the repower getting done, but it looks like I might have found a deal on an early '00s Northstar pop up for the F150, no bathroom, water heater etc... but I have those for tenting anyway. I would need to figure out a mount for the Camplux 5L and integrate it into the campers plumbing, shouldn't be that hard to do... I am a large dude, so some modification of the dinette is in order for me to fit at the table. I.E. convert the table to a free standing unit not fixed to the floor by poles... Might just use a TV tray anyway since all it needs to do is hold up my laptop. Still planning on using the 60L 12V fridge though... I am seeing quite a few of these 15+ year old pop up slide ins doing for just around what a new fiberglass cap would run. The AC unit even if it is a dud, is just a 5K BTU home window unit and I have one already so that is good to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior