The Maze, Canyonlands

turbodb

March 15, 2018. Day 0.

As we pulled out of the parking lot in Idaho Falls, we were already late.

See, the plan had been to show up at @CBI OFFROAD FAB when they opened at 8:00am, and have the new bumper install done by 10:00am so we'd have our choice of routes down to Hanksville, UT where we were meeting Ben @m3bassman and Zane @Speedytech7 for a three-day adventure into The Maze District in Canyonlands National Park. My hope was that we'd choose the scenic route, down 191 through Wyoming to get to our meet-up and first nights camp spot.

But, the install had taken a little over four hours and it was noon when we pulled out. Wanting to arrive before dark, that meant that we'd need to take the more direct route - down I-15 through Salt Lake City - and even then, we'd just barely make it.

With only a quick stop for lunch, and another for fuel, we arrived at dusk, surprised to find that we were the first ones there. We knew Ben was behind us - we'd been tracking each other on APRS - but we though for sure that Zane would have beaten us to the site - after all, he'd left the earliest and had the shortest drive.

Turns out, even though we'd shared around a GPS track prior to the trip, Zane didn't have it with him and wasn't sure which road to head up to find camp. No biggie, since as soon as Ben was in range with the ham radio, he and I touched bases and he was able to find Zane on the main highway and caravan into camp. A hearty round of good-to-see-you-agains and intros of @mrs.turbodb followed - it was the first time I'd seen Ben, Kirsten and Zane since The De-Tour - and then Ben got the lantern fired up and declared that, "It feels great to sit down!" as if he hadn't been driving for the last eight hours.

We caught up a bit and generally just chatted for about an hour. But it wasn't long before there was a collective move to the tents - we were all pooped from driving, and the lantern - while it looked warm - threw off less heat than a cup of cocoa. So we all settled in for a night in the low 30's, and a promise of clear skies the next morning.

March 16, 2018. Day 1.

We'd made camp at the Eardly Canyon trailhead, just east of The San Rafael Swell - a spot well suited for sunrises. And, as has become a tradition, I was out of the tent just in time to catch the orange horizon before wandering around a bit to document the morning.

As the sun rose, the red morning light shone on the mountains behind camp, lighting them a brilliant red. Ben was up by now too - really only a few minutes after me - soaking it all in. Everyone else...well, they were still cozy and enjoying the view out the tent window.

Before long though, everyone was up, ate a bit of breakfast, and we were ready to go. Not in the trucks - no! We were to set off on foot, up the canyon - in search of petroglyphs! As we made our way up the canyon, they proved elusive - a good thing in my book - and we walked right past them (within 15 feet or so) without seeing them. This, it turned out was a good thing, because if we'd seen them, we'd probably have turned around, and we'd have missed the rest of the canyon and it's geology - which was breathtaking.

Eventually though, we turned around and headed back - we knew we needed to actually get going in the trucks - but we kept an eye out and discovered what we'd missed on the way up. The petroglyphs were cool, and were surely different than others I've seen. Not only were there the "normal" animals, but there were also some "stranger beings" - grasshopper man, for instance.

After finding what we'd come for, we high-tailed it back to camp so we could get on our way. We had quite a few miles to cover if we were to make it to our reserved camp spot that evening - Doll House 3. Back on the road, we made a quick stop in Hanksville for fuel, and then headed south to Poison Springs Canyon Road, where we aired down and took in our surroundings before starting towards The Maze.

An astute reader will notice that this was the only part of the trip, I believe, where I wasn't at the back of the pack. See, we all have three pedals in the foot well, but Ben was never taught what the two on the left do, so he doesn't use them. And Zane's spent so much time dialing in his rear leaf pack that he can't really feel bumps anymore.

So it wasn't long before I moved into the tail gunner position. You know, to make sure we had long range comms (ham radios) in front and at the rear.

Even as we started into the canyon, the sights were amazing. It was @mrs.turbodb's first time in Utah (off-road), and she's a geology nut, so she was soaking it all in.

Soon, we were heading down to the bottom of the canyon, where we eventually stopped for lunch at the Dirty Devil River crossing.

That's all the photos I can put in a post here - check out the rest of the day (pics and story) at:

The Rest of Day 1: The Maze, Canyonlands (Mar 2018)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I read the full report and got to say it’s one of the very best I’ve seen. Excellent photos too and impressed with your concern for the environment.

We are doing the Maze in September and your report just added to the anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbodb

I read the full report and got to say it’s one of the very best I’ve seen. Excellent photos too and impressed with your concern for the environment.

We are doing the Maze in September and your report just added to the anticipation.
Thanks, appreciate the kudos! You'll have a great time in the Maze - might be a bit warm, but it's such an amazing place; can't wait to go back.

turbodb

The Maze, Day 2: "I Really Like Your Rear End"
March 17, 2018.

Our night at the Doll House was the calmest of the trip. We all slept soundly and though we each awoke a different times, we all experienced a beautiful morning. Having nearly missed the orange horizon the morning before, I refrained from hitting the snooze button on my alarm, and I crawled out of the tent about half an hour before sunrise.

Being up so early allowed me time to scout a reasonably good position to capture the magic light of morning, since I could see exactly where it was going to come over the horizon, and I carefully made my way to a rock outcropping with views of all three Doll House sights via washes and trails, avoiding the desert crust.

As I waited for the sun to crest the horizon, I noticed Ben @m3bassman climb out of his tent and onto a rocky outcropping near camp (you can just make out his red jacket) - another prime location I'd seriously considered! As the sun lit up the pillars of Doll House 3, he was ********** in the middle of a pretty awesome situation.

My position gave me not only a full-on view of the sun hitting Doll House 3, but also a nice "profile view" of the pillars at Doll House 1 and 2, and the canyon just to their east. It was a special sight. I probably spent too long taking it all in, if there is such a thing - since by the time I got back to camp, @mrs.turbodb was up, dressed, and itching for some breakfast.

That was just fine with me, since I was hungry as well and we had a quick breakfast while Ben, Kirsten and Zane @Speedytech7 enjoyed a cup of coffee. Then, we all packed up our gear and headed back up the road towards Flint Trail. We didn't get far though - as we pulled up on Chimney Rock, it called to all of us. Just as I'd slowed down to take a picture, I saw Ben and Zane turn down the spur towards the solitary formation. We followed of course, and the view of The Maze was stunning - in every direction.

As we pulled out of Chimney Rock and the sun climbed in the sky, shadows from the clouds created dramatic scenes across the landscape, highlighting the orange pillars against shadowed canyon walls.

As had been the case the day before, the young guns were out in front, slowing down now and again to let me catch up. Fine by me - even having seen the geology the day before, I continued to find myself getting out of the truck to capture the beauty of Canyonlands. Perhaps sensing this window of opportunity, Ben proposed a truck swap with Zane. Each was eager to experience the work they'd been doing, in order to better optimize their own modifications, and so a bit of musical trucks was played and they were back on the trail.

It was at this point that things got a little ... weird. We couldn't see the two of them, so who really knows what was going on, but the chatter over the CB was striking enough that I transcribed it word for word on the spot, at 10:04am Saturday morning:

Ben: Zane you've done a really nice job with your rear end, dialing it in I mean. It's clear you've put a lot of work into it.

Zane: Your rear end feels really nice too. I really like it.

Dan: Umm, that's what she said?

- - - - -

To keep reading, and see the rest of the photos that won't fit here, check out The Maze, Day 2: "I Really Like Your Rear End"

Trkle

This is an amazing write-up. I can't wait until we can do a similar trip, thanks for the insight.

Superb pictures!

turbodb

The Maze, Day 3: Are We Stuck in The Maze?
March 18, 2018.

To say it was one of the more blustery nights we've spent in the tent would be an understatement. Perched on the edge of the canyon wall, the rain fly was getting whipped around, and the tent was acting like a sail in the bed of the truck - shaking the entire truck to and fro.

@mrs.turbodb asked if there was any chance we might roll backwards.

"Not really," I said. (and then I proceeded to put my clothes back on and get out to chock the tires - you know, "just in case."

We slept soundly until 4:00am or so - the wind picking up and dropping off through the night, but not a worry since the truck wasn't going anywhere. But, in those early morning hours, we started to feel moisture in the air - blown in through the screens covering tent doors and windows, which we always leave open for ventilation.

No problem - we just zipped everything up and went right back to sleep - unaware that a Winter Weather Advisory was being issued just as we were nodding off.

As usual, my alarm went off at 6:30am, so I could get up and enjoy the sunrise. It was still windy when I woke up to wind buffeting the tent - a good sign in my mind since that would dry off any moisture from the night before. Unfortunately, as I poked my head out the tent, I noticed that not only was it windy, but there was just a bit of snow falling - a sure sign that there'd be no sunrise to capture. "Oh well, I thought - I got a couple good ones already this trip, I'll get another hour or so of sleep and hopefully the snow will have stopped when we get up."

Oh, was I wrong.

Not only had the snow not stopped when I woke up again at 7:30am, but conditions outside had become white-out-blizzardy conditions. We had a quick conversation about our plan of attack, and it went something like this:
  • I'd get out of the tent and start putting it away (getting what snow I could off of it, etc.).
  • @mrs.turbodb would get out of the tent and take the pillows and blankets into the cab of the truck so they wouldn't get wet.
  • I'd get the tent put away and everything back into the bed.
  • We'd wait for Ben @m3bassman, Kirsten, and Zane @Speedytech7 to get up and get their stuff put away.
Within minutes of my getting up, Ben was also up and out of his tent - having gone through a similar morning experience and realizing that it hadn't worked out the way he'd expected, either. We had a quick pow-wow and decided that our plan of attack would be "get out of there as quickly as possible." He roused Kirsten and Zane, and we all set about tearing down camp, and then tearing out of camp so we wouldn't be stuck in The Maze.

Having gotten about 4-inches of snow (in a little over an hour), we were happy to be an a relatively easy road. It's not that there weren't rocky inclines to maneuver, but there were no Flint Trail switchbacks, or Doll House overhangs to contend with. We made good progress with judicious use of the skinny pedal and within about an hour made it to the Han's Flat ranger station.

To say that the good folks at the ranger station were surprised to see us would be an understatement. To see a convoy of three first-gen Tacoma's roll in is always impressive, but to see it in a morning of surprise snow was clearly going to be the highlight of their day.

We chatted for a few minutes to confirm the condition of the road between Han's Flat and the town of Green River (our escape route), and were assured that it was not only passable, but probably one of the best maintained roads we could hope for. In fact, it was essentially the only road that they considered passable according to their road condition board.

A quick bathroom pit stop and we were off - the road was in fact in relatively good condition - headed north to Green River, where the plan was to fuel up for the first time in three days. Looking at the GPS track and our gas gauges, it was clear that if we were going to make it, Zane and I were going to be mere feet-from-empty (Ben had added 5 gallons the morning before), so we decided that it'd be wise to put in a few gallons of gas to tide us over.

As we drove north, the snow stopped and gave way to rain - and mud - on the road. These things are fun, and we each did a bit of slipping and sliding around; caking mud on our trucks that would surely come back to haunt us when it dried.

To keep reading, and see the rest of the photos that won't fit here, check out The Maze, Day 3: Are We Stuck in The Maze?

And that's the end of this one - thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!

nomad661

About as good a write up as you can hope to come across! Thanks for sharing.

I've done a lot of trips to the Moab/canyonlands area but still have yet to make it to the Maze district. This def bumped it far higher on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz